It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas 1897 UFO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I dont know how to link stuff, so i will just say my two bits and see where it goes.

I do think ufos are real that being said we need to move all our efforts to the sighting in texas that was in 1897 the main reason i think this should be the ONE we devote our energy to is one simple reason. It was 1897 years before the wright bros made the maiden flight there should have been nothing in the air. the are witness accounts, newspaper articles, and the burial of a body found in the wreck. Now the town doesnt like people snoopin around, and i cant remeber the name of the town but a simple search will yeild results, so ive said my two bits, tell me where im wrong.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

February 2, 1897

Several Hastings people report that an air ship, or something of the kind, has been sailing around in the air west of this city. It was first noticed sometime last fall when it was seen floating in the air about 500 feet (175 meters) above the ground, and after standing still for about 30 minutes, it began to to circle about and took a northerly direction for about two miles, after which it returned to its starting place and sank into oblivion.

Since that time it has not been seen until last Sunday evening, when it was observed standing nearly still, a few miles west of Hastings and seemingly about 800 feet in the air.

"At first sight it had the appearance of an immense star, but after closer observation the powerful light shows by its color to be artificial. It certainly must be illuminated by powerful electric dynamos for the light sent forth by it is wonderful."

At 9:30 last Monday night (January 25, 1897) the large glaring light was seen to circle around for a few minutes and then descended for about 200 feet, circling as it traveled at a remarkable speed for about two miles and then slowing up it circled for fully 15 minutes, when it began to lower and disappear as mysteriously as it had made its appearance...A close watch is being kept for its reappearance."

On February 5, 1897, the Omaha Bee reported that the UFO had been sighted again, this time at Invale, a tiny farm town 40 miles (64 kilometers) south of Hastings, near the Kansas state line. The UFO was seen by people returning from a prayer meeting.

"It (the UFO) seemed to be conical-shaped and perhaps 30 to 40 feet in length, with a bright headlight and six smaller lights, three on a side, and seemed to have two sets of wings on a side, with a large fan-shaped rudder," the Bee reported. The Invale witnesses claimed to have heard rumbling engine noises and the voices of the "airship's" occupants.

The debunkers are not rushing in as it predates flight and foo fighters. The 1897 description is consistent with what we would hear described in a ufo sighting. The Ufos artificial craft manned by unidentified intelligences is real, the debunkers are the fakes.

edit on 28-12-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The OPs argument is a good one so ufo skpetics/ debunkers grow a back bone and present your arguments against it. If you are unwilling then its definitive proof of debunkers/skeptics being weak to the bone.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

From source:

The UFO was seen by people returning from a prayer meeting.

There you go...

Once again, the side affects of drunken zealotry show themselves.

OP: this is indeed an interesting episode in UFO folklore, as you stated, especially due to the FACT that the witnesses had very little to no bias. Comic magazines weren't even around to taint the validity of their account...

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   

AthlonSavage
The OPs argument is a good one so ufo skpetics/ debunkers grow a back bone and present your arguments against it. If you are unwilling then its definitive proof of debunkers/skeptics being weak to the bone.

You looking for a fight?

It's an interesting piece of history, as is the grave allegedly connected to it, if I remember correctly, the body from the grave was supposed to have been taken at some point.

There is no argument, whether something happened here or not, it was a hundred plus years ago. There is no evidence of it and some have speculated that it was a ploy created in order to attract people back to the withering town.

End of the day, we will never know for sure. I am not a debunker or skeptic on cases with information, but there is no information on this case apart from hearsay and rumour.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
1897 Sighting? What about the crashed alien aircraft, in Aurora, Texas?

Texas UFO Crash of 1897

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Q33323

I would suggest that this is part of the same alleged sighting/incident. And if it isn't, then somewhere along the line, stories have merged which is understandable considering the time frame.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Weak argument from a supposed shoshin practitioner. Multiple sightings from different people makes my batsense tingle. Especially before the age of widespread flight and internet disinformation.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   

intelligenthoodlum33
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Weak argument from a supposed shoshin practitioner. Multiple sightings from different people makes my batsense tingle. Especially before the age of widespread flight and internet disinformation.

Were you there?

How do you know the story wasn't concocted by a bunch of desperate people who wanted more money brought back to the area?

Don't get all defensive now, all I'm saying is, there is no way of verifying this story. And as per usual, there is no evidence apart from word of mouth.
edit on 28-12-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Predates flight?

You're kidding right?

Man was flying nearly a hundred years before 1897 my friend, you should be more informed before vomiting so much hostility and ignorance.

edit on 28-12-2013 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Czulkang

No one is a stronger believer in UFOs than me--an abductee. Because of my uncommon interest in that topic, I spent a good bit of time at the University of Illinois library in the mid-1970s researching the newspaper stories of that era which dealt with mysterious phenomena such as lights in the sky and the capture, crash, landings and reports of fleeting mysterious airships as they were called at that time.

In a word, most were bogus and most were rehashes of earlier stories that was being electrically transmitted around the world by the rather new invention, the telegraph.

Since I won't be able to convince anyone of that assessment, I'll simply give a couple of pointers for anyone wanting to believe those early stories. First, that was the days of "yellow journalism" when newspapers were hawked on the street corners by young boys eager to sell their arm load of papers. The more sensational their spiel, the more they sold. Samuel Clements, better know as Mark Twain, got his start in that era at writing tall tales while a newspaper reporter.

Many of those stories give grand details of the airships looking like steam locomotives with big driving wheels, or sails or ship-like propellers, boat hulls, flapping wings, etc. Never have I seen one of those stories that described a typical UFO that we see today. If you attempt to plot the locations of the many sightings during that time, you would find that those ship/ships were indeed fleet in their quick movements between locations, far quicker every time than when (supposedly) sighted by some farmer per the newspaper's version of it floating over his field.

A tombstone is no evidence of the story attached to it. Drag out some of the many exotic pieces of the actual early UFO and we would have tangible evidence of substance. Accept that wild stories that were common in those days both orally and put into the daily newspapers any there are more than reasonable doubts to be had about the fate of the supposed crash of an airship into Judge Proctor's windmill.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It interesting case,I agree it could been a ploy created in order to attract people back to the town & too sell newspapers

edit on 28-12-2013 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Czulkang

Here is the full movie from Youtube, if any one wants to waste a hour and half, like I just did.. lol
By the way, Iv'e seen worse..

new topics

top topics

join