It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could this be the next Democrat proposal in the United States?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LaElvis

I wanted to give this thread time to develop. Seems like both sides are making very valid points.
Similar has been tried in Canada, here's the info.

www.dominionpaper.ca...
edit on 0pmESaturdayv2340 by LaElvis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

edit on 28-12-2013 by Q33323 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LaElvis

None of this would be necessary if our unions were still strong. But we had to fall for that trickle down economic failed policy. All republican polices rely on jobs and they failed at that.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Sremmos80
reply to post by Elton

Not sure what any of that has to do with what is being presented here, actually it would solve almost all of it. Except the fact that you said it would make it to congress or if by the grace of god it did. You again are right, it would not pass. But to say Americans wouldn't like it my friend is wrong at least IMO. And im american and I like it so guess not all americans would hate it

Sorry for double post

edit on 28-12-2013 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

And I'm Republican and I like it. In one fell swoop you eliminate all the hand outs and give everyone an equal shake. I like it. I had just written a thread about minimum wage and poverty in this country...a plan like this would help eliminate a lot of stress and hardships that millions of Americans face and it may even take a bite out of homelessness.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

I've never heard of this concept of guaranteed income before, so this is all new to me; but wouldn't government also (alongside this type of program) have to step in and institute rent-control and other price-control measures? I ask because, knowing human nature, mightn't the market react to higher individual incomes by simply charging higher prices?

And if markets did respond by raising prices, wouldn't the whole point of the program be negated?

ATS, please educate me on this concept. Am I right or wrong? And why?

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if they tried this.

Requiring everyone to buy insurance kind of doesn't work if everyone doesn't buy it. People who don't work are exempt (unless he lied about that too, which I wouldn't doubt) because they don't have an income to tax and they don't have a tax return to seize.

I have heard some strange talk lately around the web but I just dismissed it as crazy liberals doing what they do best.

But of course, it won't work because people who don't have to work won't either. It's another crazy utopian idea that won't work unless they require people to get a job in order to keep getting government money. Which defeats the whole thing. That whole utopian idea of being free to pursue your dreams. Even if you have money, you're still going to be miserable if you have to work.

Working people are miserable. They just are. Liberals know this. They also know working people will be outraged if there are people who don't have to work and they still get paid.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BrianFlanders

Its not work if your doing what you love right? I think that is more the utopia idea, a community of people doing what they want and offering the service they love to do to the others. Still a very, very far out idea that sounds great on paper but wont be achievable for some time. I think that would be the idea, don't force your self to do something just to be able to provide for your self and family, if the basics are taken care of, you can go learn a trade that you like. I know me, its in my nature to "work" or provide in someway. I'd say that is pretty universal in the U.S despite what everyone thinks. This basic income though would still have some chinks for sure, especially like the post above you pointed out, price control would be an issue

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Sremmos80
Its not work if your doing what you love right? I think that is more the utopia idea, a community of people doing what they want and offering the service they love to do to the others. Still a very, very far out idea that sounds great on paper but wont be achievable for some time. I think that would be the idea, don't force your self to do something just to be able to provide for your self and family, if the basics are taken care of, you can go learn a trade that you like. I know me, its in my nature to "work" or provide in someway. I'd say that is pretty universal in the U.S despite what everyone thinks.

Well, really, what worries me is that we already know how these guys operate. They promise things that are too good to be true (Obamacare without a mandate) and then they spring the reality on you once they have the door open and there's nothing you can do about it.

You and I know they are not going to leave it open to chance that they'll be giving people $2,000 a month and they will find a job and pay into the system. No way! They'll say "Hey. We can't do this because people game the system".

These are the people who weren't even going to leave an opening for someone to live without insurance until they needed it. There's no way they're going to leave an opening for people to suck $2,000 a month out of the government for life and never work a day. That's not going to happen. They'll put something in there to force people to do something. That's what worries me. Not because I necessarily want to leech off the government forever. But because I'd rather be left alone and live in poverty than have them give me money and then hold it over my head and use it to control me.

So if they have anything like this in mind (And really, it just sounds crazy, to be honest) whatever they're up to, I have to assume they're up to no good.
edit on 30-12-2013 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

gravitationalethics
reply to post by Rezlooper

I've never heard of this concept of guaranteed income before, so this is all new to me; but wouldn't government also (alongside this type of program) have to step in and institute rent-control and other price-control measures? I ask because, knowing human nature, mightn't the market react to higher individual incomes by simply charging higher prices?

And if markets did respond by raising prices, wouldn't the whole point of the program be negated?

ATS, please educate me on this concept. Am I right or wrong? And why?

I think you're right. The idea sounds great, but yea, how do we control prices. Think about it...if employees had a little more control over their pathetic jobs, say, a walmart job, because they had that bonus $2000 per month, Walmart would end up having to raise their pay scale. And we all know they wouldn't be willing to just roll over and lose that bottom line...they'd raise their prices.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join