It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life as a Science Fiction Movie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2003 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Imagine your entire life, including all your travels and experiences, every e-mail you've ever sent, every relationship you've ever had, book or magazine you�ve read, every phone call you've made or received and TV show you've watched, every purchase you've made�all of it accessible by computer! A GPS implant would allow anyone to locate you and sensors would record everything you saw or said. Biomedical monitors would keep constant tabs on your health (and set off alarms when you smoked that illicit cigarette). Sounds like a Schwarzenegger sci-fi flick? Nope, it's your life� care of the U.S. government!
The Defense Department is about to embark on the LifeLog project, which is designed to gather every possible bit of information about a person's life and make it searchable on the computer. The information will be used to "trace the 'threads' of an individual's life," according to LifeLog. There's no reference to the fact that every life has some threads we don't want traced.

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on May, 22 2003 @ 08:24 AM
link   
It's funny how people get worked up over this.

If you don't want info about yourself recorded, there's a number of things to do -- always buy with cash is one of them. However, this actually creates a HIGHER profile for you.

The better strategy is to make sure there's public records that show you as an average person; nothing to worry about, move along citizen. And if you have something private to convey, do it in person or send postal mail.

posted on May, 23 2003 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I can only imagine the reality shows that would ensue should this technology become available for private use...:shudder:

posted on Jun, 20 2003 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I was just reading an article about this and was about to start a thread, but I found this thread. I think it's a crazy idea, there are more than enough ways to keep track of us. I have one of those EZ-Pass accounts so I dont have to stop at tollbooths, thats enough.

From the article:

"Meanwhile, some people can't wait for the government to set up a permanent database for all its citizens. Minicomputer expert Gordon Bell, for one, is said to be putting all his letters, memos, conversations, Web page visits, emails, etc. into a Microsoft research project called MyLifeBits. Personally, we think this behavior is certifiably insane.The point, apparently, is to be remembered, as if having one's life digitized assures immortality. How much more elegant and human it would be to simply live a great life and be remembered for one's deeds and contributions to the world. "

www.applelinks.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2003 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Minicomputer expert Gordon Bell, for one, is said to be putting all his letters, memos, conversations, Web page visits, emails, etc. into a Microsoft research project called MyLifeBits.

okay, well I think that's sort of a neat idea. I'm of the belief that bits of everyday life are just as telling as big chunks of historical events. however, that doesn't mean that in 100 years, anybody's really going to care about the collected database of the spam this guy recieved. I'm all for collecting neat little bits of digital life in the 2000s for posterity, but the world really doesn't need every little bit of a particular life. not to mention the absolute last people I'd trust a project like this to is Microsoft. they'd probably use his collected life archive as a big marketing project or something.

top topics

join