It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Might Become Unlivable By 2100

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
It seems that what they want to do is to target one specific problem. Air pollution. They don't want to fix the problem, the governments want to collect taxes to pay for problems stemming from the problem. That is like treating the symptoms of an illness instead of stopping the illness from getting to be a problem. It appears they only want to look at parts of the problem that do not effect consumerism. Add a tax.

This problem is very complex, it is not just about emissions. It is about chemicals entering the ocean and harming the bees and wildlife. It is about tearing out mountains to get a little gold. It is about looking at greed and waste of resources as a negative effect on the ecosystem. I suppose people think we can survive on eating food created in a lab. We may be able to survive but who would want to live on energy bars. Science does not yet know how to reproduce all the nutrients in foods that will make us survive and be completely normal and healthy. In a hundred years they may know....but we are not going to have that much time.

The easiest way is if ninety five percent of all people got sick and died. They know that. I doubt if any of my family will be chosen to survive. They don't need many people anymore, we have built machinery to make everything. Only a few people will be needed to run these machines. I just wonder when this will be happening, they are telling us that the bacteria and viruses are mutating....or is someone steering their mutation. One small group could kill most of us off in a short time.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Very true, but I doubt if the world will last till then. The population of this world is just building up to witness and experience devastation. Nothing more is more thrilling for the masses. The fall will be automatic, effortless. Billions of unconnected and indifferent people have populated this planet now, the only reason this has happened, is because we were born to witness the catastrophe, and its going to be the greatest splendour.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Auricom
reply to post by ZakOlongapo

Are you kidding me? This isn't a text between friends, it's a forum. So please, quit being lazy and actually type the two extra letters that make up the word "you". (Sorry to everyone for going off topic, but ATS is a place that's under scrutiny as it is due to the subject matter. Having people typing like tweens doesn't help.)

On topic - I don't care who is responsible for global warming. The way I see it is that we're already killing ourselves off. Look at the pure junk we leave behind, we're extremely wasteful. Plastics can (and should!) be reused/recycled. We should be longer ahead in the electric car game by now, it's not like the electric car is a new invention. Our factories pump out poison in our atmosphere daily, world wide. We fill our oceans with so much junk that I'm ashamed to call myself human. We over fish and generally never think about sustainability. And what irks me so much, is the fact that all of what I mentioned above was/is preventable. Or at the very least, we could limit our impact on earth's health.

And that's why I don't care about global warming. Either it's natural (which I honestly believe) or it's man-made. Either way, cleaning up our act and how we live will either help or not help global warming. Either way, it's only good for us, the earth and our fellow creatures that inhabit the earth with us.

it seems to me that humans are going to become another failed biological species...we crap in our own kitchen, and tell ourselves it's not a problem...maybe the reason we came from cave dwellers, was because the human species came close to extinction, and they were the only ones to survive after the "last human race" collapsed upon itself. it seems that we must be from another planet, because we have not been able to effectively adapt to earth like the common cockroach, or ant species has been able to do
edit on 29-12-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I think that in 2100, the folks there will be panicking about Nirubu, uninhabitable conditions by the year 2200, corruption in politics, bird flu, global climate change, and the zombie apocalypse.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Most life on earth is very robust starting at the microscopic level, but as you move up in complexity, living things become somewhat more fragile. We as humans require a pretty specific environment with exacting temperature levels, abundance of water and fresh food. Yes we survived the ice age but we only did that because we were able to create a micro environment we were able to survive in. I think between the population exploding, climate change, and pollution, it does not look good for us. I would be very supprised if the human race survives another century the way things are going. We have already had 2 major nuclear accidents and rendered large areas uninhabitable, if that trend were to continue its only a matter of time before we muck things up so much we go extinct. Not to worry, in a few million years the planet will recover.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Not sure what can be done. The last global warming of 150 million years ago was blamed on dinosaurs breaking wind. Now humans are being blamed (not for breaking wind but releasing of methane in other ways).

In my view the planet will do what it wants. Where I am sitting at the moment was covered by hundreds of feet of ice during the cooling period millions of years ago.

My guess is that we will adapt. These cooling and warming periods happen very gradually (over millions of years). Perhaps we will look like salamanders when the warming peaks in a few million years

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I agree that earth will become an unbearable place, and find it humorous that those who are supposedly "experts" can't come up with anything tighter than a 50 year window.

I would probably have to say they don't really know when, but suspect it'll be sooner because there are more forces at work here than just CO2.

I'm not one to go all scriptural, or anthropomorphize and give earth some kind of silly ass coined name, but I do know about balance, and we have done a fine job of knocking the planet out of whack.

Maybe that's the reason we are given so many reasons to be distracted, to sit in front of our TV's and computers and think we can change things and save this place by voting one asshole out to be replaced with another asshole who won't do anything to change things, never mind it's up to us.

Stop buying what they offer you to kill the pain of this existence and revel in the chaos that is nature, some day we are all going to die, why not enjoy the time we have here and now instead of hoping for something that may not even exist after we die?.

Make it better now.
edit on 29-12-2013 by MyHappyDogShiner because: mistake aagghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I think it's kind of telling that you show some one a graph on debt where the trend line starts that hockey stick thing, it's the end. As to the deterioration of the planet that same trend line can't be trusted.

The oceans are well on their way to becoming a dead zone. The polar regions are thawing for the first time in eons, releasing god knows what, most of which I figure ain't going to be good for me.

Man with his special abilities and hubris has, I believe, truly hastened a planetary cycling that is likely going to lose that very small range of conditions that were supportive for life, especially human life. I am afraid that soon we well become painfully aware that human adaptivity has reached it's limits.

The year 2100, that's a time frame that pretty much keeps most of those alive today out of the worst of it. Funny how we tend to do that ain't it. It'll be the problem for somebody else. Don't be surprised if that somebody else turns out to be you.

And just remember we don't have to get to the absolute last day for things to get uncomfortable.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I have a feeling that there will be an entire generation getting lynched by the generation that has to fix their evils and apathy. "Just going with the flow" or "We didn't notice" isn't going to cut it when everybody is living in habitats.

It will be obvious to that generation that this was all caused by greed and laziness.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

In it's raw form gas is fifty percent cleaner than coal but once flue gasses that are made by the burning of coal are run through pollution control equipment (SCR units, electrostatic precipitators, baghouse systems, or a wet scrubber system) pollution is knocked down by over 95 percent of its original state. Furthermore, the injection of carbon into the flue gasses by a carbon injection unit will virtually eliminate all mercury. Extracting natural gas from the earth creates large amounts of methane. Methane is a far more lethal green house gas than carbon dioxide. People need to quit focusing so much on coal and focus on the gas industry (fracking). Pick your poison.
edit on 29-12-2013 by queenofsheba because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

More scare tactics, or is this starting to become too obvious to ignore?

What's your gut tell you Slayer?

An uninhabitable planet by 2100 - if we're lucky. Until then? Not so pretty - it's not like everything will be fine and dandy up to that point - uninhabitable has already begun

Ecosystems are like a house of cards - it's a delicate balance

And scientists aren't, generally speaking, the Chicken Little type. If we are being played, who would benefit the most? The side trying to save the earth, or the side funding the denial?

P.S. S&F - for asking the question
edit on 12/29/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Have you ever read this book, Earth Abides by George R. Stewart? I think you might appreciate it. One of my favorites that I read a long time ago. PS...I really dislike the image you chose of the coal burners in your op...seems so well...inflammatory, I mean a picture is worth a thousand words.
edit on 29-12-2013 by queenofsheba because: Cuz I said so...

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Not that you asked :-)

But, as long as you're interested - please keep reading:

"Dark Money" Funds Climate Change Denial Effort: A Drexel University study finds that a large slice of donations to organizations that deny global warming are funneled through third-party pass-through organizations that conceal the original funder

The largest, most-consistent money fueling the climate denial movement are a number of well-funded conservative foundations built with so-called "dark money," or concealed donations, according to an analysis released Friday afternoon.

The study, by Drexel University environmental sociologist Robert Brulle, is the first academic effort to probe the organizational underpinnings and funding behind the climate denial movement.

It found that the amount of money flowing through third-party, pass-through foundations like DonorsTrust and Donors Capital, whose funding cannot be traced, has risen dramatically over the past five years.

In all, 140 foundations funneled $558 million to almost 100 climate denial organizations from 2003 to 2010.

Meanwhile the traceable cash flow from more traditional sources, such as Koch Industries and ExxonMobil, has disappeared.

The study was published Friday in the journal Climatic Change.

"The climate change countermovement has had a real political and ecological impact on the failure of the world to act on global warming," Brulle said in a statement. "Like a play on Broadway, the countermovement has stars in the spotlight – often prominent contrarian scientists or conservative politicians – but behind the stars is an organizational structure of directors, script writers and producers."

"If you want to understand what's driving this movement, you have to look at what's going on behind the scenes."

Yes - it's politics same as always - but the stakes in this game are even higher than usual

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

Hey open...it always amazes me when people remark about the fragility of life. I always believed human beings must be the hardiest of creatures because of all the germs, viruses, bacteria's, etc we are exposed to and yet we build up immunity and evolve and survive. We create life, give birth and go on...life finds a way. I sometimes think that if humans figured out cures for viruses, disease, etc that we continually make gains in, i.e. modern medicine, we will figure out a way to save this place we call home for our future generations. Then again, if you look at each of our individual lifespans as humans, say on average 70-something years old, maybe that's really nothing in the grand scheme of things, as far as time goes...seems pretty short to me. Anyway, on topic to this thread I would still say and submit that life will go on long after any of us here on ATS this fine evening.
Most likely past slayer69's timeframe.
edit on 29-12-2013 by queenofsheba because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

rickymouse
It seems that what they want to do is to target one specific problem. Air pollution. They don't want to fix the problem, the governments want to collect taxes to pay for problems stemming from the problem. That is like treating the symptoms of an illness instead of stopping the illness from getting to be a problem. It appears they only want to look at parts of the problem that do not effect consumerism. Add a tax.

This problem is very complex, it is not just about emissions. It is about chemicals entering the ocean and harming the bees and wildlife. It is about tearing out mountains to get a little gold. It is about looking at greed and waste of resources as a negative effect on the ecosystem. I suppose people think we can survive on eating food created in a lab. We may be able to survive but who would want to live on energy bars. Science does not yet know how to reproduce all the nutrients in foods that will make us survive and be completely normal and healthy. In a hundred years they may know....but we are not going to have that much time.

The easiest way is if ninety five percent of all people got sick and died. They know that. I doubt if any of my family will be chosen to survive. They don't need many people anymore, we have built machinery to make everything. Only a few people will be needed to run these machines. I just wonder when this will be happening, they are telling us that the bacteria and viruses are mutating....or is someone steering their mutation. One small group could kill most of us off in a short time.

So true. Why find solutions when an environmental issue, or a looming pandemic, can be exploited? Many counties in the US charge $ for mandatory emissions testing. BigPharma is salivating at the notion of a recombined influenza virus. The misuse of antibiotics has led to a medical disaster in the making. A clock is ticking, and tptb are like the three wise monkeys: see no trouble, hear no trouble, speak gobblegook.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

You're right.
I didn't ask but am very interested in all pertinent information.

Thank you for posting that.
edit on 29-12-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
You'll have to forgive me Slayer - but this is not just a story, this is THE story. I know many, as you said of yourself - are on the fence. Many more will just laugh at all this outright

Gotta say, I wish I was just a fool. I'd rather be a fool. I'd happily accept the title if it meant that I was wrong

AGU Scientist Asks, ‘Is Earth F*****?’ Surprising Answer: Resistance is NOT Futile!

Edit to add: I include this one just because it shows where we are - what is the lesser of all the evils we're looking at?
Four prominent climate scientists are urging environmentalists to embrace nuclear power to help fight global warming, arguing that “continued opposition . . . threatens humanity's ability to avoid dangerous climate change.”

Bigger Than That: (The Difficulty of) Looking at Climate Change

Some things are so big you don’t see them, or you don’t want to think about them, or you almost can’t think about them. Climate change is one of those things. It’s impossible to see the whole, because it’s everything. It’s not just a seven-story-tall black wave about to engulf your town, it’s a complete system thrashing out of control, so that it threatens to become too hot, too cold, too dry, too wet, too wild, too destructive, too erratic for many plants and animals that depend on reliable annual cycles. It affects the entire surface of the Earth and every living thing, from the highest peaks to the depths of the oceans, from one pole to the other, from the tropics to the tundra, likely for millennia -- and it’s not just coming like that wave, it’s already here.

It’s not only bigger than everything else, it’s bigger than everything else put together. But it’s not a sudden event like a massacre or a flood or a fire, even though it includes floods, fires, heat waves, and wild weather. It’s an incremental shift over decades, over centuries. It’s the definition of the big picture itself, the far-too-big picture. Which is why we have so much news about everything else, or so it seems.

edit on 12/29/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Hope I didn't spoil your evening. I spoiled mine

I like to play at pretending it's not real from time to time

:-)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

The only thing alarming is this post.

www.bbc.co.uk...

They had no idea this could exist, and it trashes their theories. Back to the drawing board for these climatologists.

When they have FACTS instead of extremely poor climate models, give me a call.

Why the obsession with 2050? Is that because it just coincides with predictions of when ME oil reserves run out??

I'm not for destruction of the planet (and I'm not a paid shill acting on behalf of Big Oil, either
).

What can't be ignored is that the science behind climatology is very flawed, and this has been proven. The temperature records upon which this doomsday scenario has been built is unstable at best.

www.usatoday.com...

"Vostok is still the world's coldest recorded location," said Randy Cerveny, an Arizona State University professor of geography and the "rapporteur for climate extremes" at the WMO, via e-mail. "They are using remote sensing, not standard weather stations, so we at the World Meteorological Organization will not recognize that."

In fact the WMO have said that they will never recognize satellite data in the records. Why, when it is proven to be more accurate?

there is no way to determine the elevation of the remote-sensed value.

LOL. That discredits everything ever measured by satellite then! On the contrary, we DO know from where in the atmosphere the temperature was sensed. We do this on a regular basis for all kinds of atmospheric temperature observations at different levels within the earths atmosphere.

More rubbish from the MMGW camp. Those research grants must be VERY lucrative if they are denying the state of the art to support their theories.

www.drroyspencer.com...

Since 1979, NOAA satellites have been carrying instruments which measure the natural microwave thermal emissions from oxygen in the atmosphere. The intensity of the signals these microwave radiometers measure at different microwave frequencies is directly proportional to the temperature of different, deep layers of the atmosphere. Every month, John Christy and I update global temperature datasets (see here) that represent the piecing together of the temperature data from a total of fourteen instruments flying on different satellites over the years.

I guess facts don't matter where MMGW is concerned.

What am I going on about? Oh, this little fact... in 2013...

www.usatoday.com...

Based on remote satellite measurements, scientists recently recorded that temperature at a desolate ice plateau in East Antarctica. It was the lowest temperature ever recorded on Earth, though it may not get that recognition in the official record book.

A NASA satellite measured that temperature in August 2010; on July 31 of this year [2013], another bone-chilling temperature of -135.3 degrees was recorded.

It's a non-official record cold temperature measurement in Antarctica, made in 2013. The last official record was made in 1983. Sorry to interrupt the thread...
edit on 29-12-2013 by mirageofdeceit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Really sick and tired of hearing this man made global warming crap. Common sense tells me that the upswing in volcanoes and quakes(carbon monoxide release), as well as the monstrous amounts of methane being released into the atmosphere in the southern pacific is doing magnitudes more damage than man is. Seriously, we contribute a fractional amount next to the natural release of the planet.
Answer me this someone that considers themselves educated and informed that is a believer in this. Why were the majority of record high temps recorded between 1900 and 1940??? The same is true for record cold temps. The antartic ice shelf has grown more this last year than the last 10 years. Like political math, your figures just aren't adding up.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join