It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme symptoms, Death toll rising, Current flu strain(s) "especially severe"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Haven't gotten the flu in several years, and usually only do when visiting the northeast. Thus I was shocked to see what seemed to be 3/4 of the public and family members exhibited severe cold/flu symptoms, and it was disturbing people there are just coughing away practically on top of other strangers on the subways and in restaurants (yuck).

Sadly, from the morning after I landed in NYC last week, thru to now 10 days later, I for one so far can't seem to shake these symptoms. Although I haven't gotten the flu in a long while, I do recall what it was like and what I am experiencing is beyong that. Family members assured me that once 2 weeks is past, I will feel normal again. This included those whose infant contracted it and even one had to call an ambulance (which took them to ER) for her child seemed to stop breathing, and they found the lungs 'full of mucus'.

I've never been sick that long with a severe cold nor flu. I don't know how else to describe it in a word, except, miserable! I'm vegan and herbal & dietary remedies have never failed me here in CA until now that I came back from holidays in NY. The symptoms I would describe were an initially weird feeling throughout the front of my face, then the classic itchy achy throat, then the full-blown head congestion couples with hot/cold flashes, sweating, clogged ears & sinuses, and having to constantly cough up phlegm which is is an eery bright egg yolky color. My GP put me on Z-pak for the next 10 days because of signs or sinusitis & possible lung infection.

Enough about me. I am just one of the millions affected, and possibly billions worldwide if this gets out of hand. Not likely to, but better safe than sorry. However, I'm not sure how people can be safe in urban areas, and avoid catching one of the current flu strains with so, so many already spreading it around.

Here is an article from just earlier this month, about the new strain being beyond drug resistant:

www.sciencedaily.com...

Dec. 11, 2013 — Researchers at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai reported that a virulent new strain of influenza -- the virus that causes the flu -- appears to retain its ability to cause serious disease in humans even after it develops resistance to antiviral medications.

Initial reports suggested that H7N9, an avian strain of influenza A that emerged in China last spring, could rapidly develop a mutation that made it resistant to treatment with the antiviral medication Tamiflu (oseltamivir). However, patients in whom drug resistance developed often had prolonged, severe infections and poor clinical outcomes. No vaccine is currently available to prevent H7N9, which infected at least 135 people and caused 44 deaths during the outbreak.

In the absence of a vaccine, antiviral drugs are the only means of defense for patients who are infected with new strains of the flu.

Specifically, the investigators found that a drug-resistant H7N9 virus retained its ability to replicate in human respiratory cells.

"Our study underscores the need to develop a bigger arsenal of antiviral drugs and vaccines, which will allow us to outsmart the influenza virus," said Dr. Bouvier. "Researchers at Mount Sinai are actively engaged in identifying new targets for drug therapy and are working to develop a universal vaccine that will prevent multiple strains of influenza."

A 'universal flu vaccine' sounds great.. but back to reality, with the current developments in antiviral therapy, and vaccines now often delivering a milder flu instead of always preventing it, why are new flu strains getting nastier?

edit on 27-12-2013 by gardener because: orry about all the typos, my thinking is still cloudy from the flu

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Flu strains are ever evolving. They actually peak in virulence upon first introduction and then become less harsh as it gets transmitted. That is what actually happened with Spanish Flu. The first wave killed the most people, second wave-not so much. It's not to a virus' advantage to kill its host off. This outbreak has actually killed less people than the last one in 2009.

I got that crap in 2009 and I can tell you it was much worse then. Death rate still stands at .03% Not exactly something to get excited about.
edit on 27-12-2013 by antonia because: opps

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
For the first time in my life I tested positive for Influenza A (from what I hear, the most severe strain). They didn't subtype, but I am curious to see which of the A's it is.

I had to get a mandatory flu shot for work (I work at an ER, first time ever getting one), very much to my chagrin. This was months ago however, and I don't for a minute believe the shot caused my infection, but it certainly didn't do much in preventing it.

It. Is. Brutal.

Laid out for five days, total bed rest. Couldn't keep water down, couldn't keep ibuprofen down for the fever, nothing. Had what was possibly the worst headache of my life along with the full gamut of typical symptoms - high fever (104), nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, body aches, cold sweats, migraine, severe cough, runny nose, sore throat, loss of appetite, fatigue, malaise, shivers, etc,. Just could not get comfortable to save my life, for days and days. It's been a week since the onset and I'm still symptomatic (no more fever tho, thank GOD). Just CANNOT seem to shake all of the symptoms. Still mildly nauseous, tired, fatigued, dizzy, the cough lingers ... pulled a muscle in my upper abdomen from coughing so much and developed a case of a bronchitis as a secondary result.

The week preceding some of the sickest patients I've ever seen came strolling through the ER ... I have no doubt that's where I picked up this super bug from. Nasty, virulent stuff. LOAD up on Vitamin C, oregono oil, fluids, get lots of rest, slow down if you're a smoker ... just whatever you have to do to avoid this thing. It's pretty scary for someone who's never experienced actual Influenza before. The Doc at the urgent care I went to said he hasn't seen a season like this one.

Yikes.

Be well ATS, be healthy, and happy holidays!!

edit on 27-12-2013 by followtheevidence because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by followtheevidence

I caught it last month. I was lucky I guess. My husband got the shot back in September and he didn't catch it at all. My son and I were sick for almost 3 weeks.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Wow, that whole op read like a flu jab commercial!!

I'd rather have the flu.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
It seems like every year is the year of the next flu pandemic... and it never happens... but bet your arse they will push the flu vaccine on everyone. No thanks, I'll take my chances. In past years, the only years I got the flu were the years I had the shot...

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
And no, I still wouldn't get a flu shot in coming years (if I survive this super flu). Like I said, it seems theres too many people getting the flu when they get the shot, instead of it preventing it. Highly doubt the shot is vegan, iv anyways.. is it?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

Oh it will happen one day. That's a foregone conclusion. Given the odds you can't escape it. Now the proclamations it will kill everyone of the planet-stupid, a virus can't survive like that.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I had the "make you wish for death quickly" strain back in the '70s. Man, my heart goes out to anyone who suffers that stuff. The major difference I noticed in reading the posts and my experience is that my severe symptoms only lasted about 48 hours. It was the same for other members of the family who got it, two days of bed-ridden misery of every imaginable type but on the third day, usually after sleeping 16 hours or more, we awoke nearly symptom-free but weak as kittens. The stuff I'm hearing of today goes on for weeks.
I'm knockin' wood here, and saying that I haven't had any sort of serious illness since I left the health care field. These days I've arranged my life so as to be able to mostly avoid crowds of people when they're likely to be carrying these bugs. We don't take vaccinations but we work hard on creating a strong immune system through the foods we enjoy. We also use ionic silver solutions at the first signs of a bug, sneezing, scratchy throat, etc.
Dr. DigginDirt recommends a big bowl of chicken and dumplings, if your beliefs permit or a big mug of hot apple cider with liberal dollops of honey and cinnamon.
Wishing all a quick recovery!

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
From what I've seen so far this flu season isn't any different than recent years. We had a few cases in September/October, pretty much none in November, and we've just started seeing an uptick in the past week.. Right now we're doing about 100-140 scripts a day and about two of those are for Tamfilu. Of course we're already starting to see backorders on it thanks to the fact that the manufacturer ran through their reserve a few years back.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It's funny you should start this thread now as over the last week I've been suffering from the flu, although it got pretty bad 2 nights ago.

Aside from the typical flu symptoms I was up through the night being sick to the point my jaw started to hurt and sort of had a burning sensation. Then yesterday every time I coughed or sneezed I had a severe burning pain throughout my entire face, neck, chest and left arm. It was so wierd. Last night I picked up Tramadol from my mother because I couldn't cope with the pain. Never had this type of flu before.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I read an article on a new way to create a flue vaccine that treated all kinds of flues. I looked up what would cause the desired target to be activated. What I found was a complaint that strawberries caused this and that resulted in a weakening of the immune system against bacteria which could lead to infection.

So eat some strawberry shortcakes to fight the virus and make sure to eat some stuff like cinnamon, ginger, coconut oil, and other natural foods to fight bacteria in the mean time. If these research articles were right, it should boost the specialized cells that fight the flu and you don't have to worry about getting infections because of the companion foods. I do not know what would disable the strawberries effect, it is possible that something could do that. If you want a faster cure...add an adjuvant to the mix. Strawberry margarittas will do the trick or strawberry smoothies with a little booze in them to kick start the action.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Been down in FL for over a month and I caught a nasty bug 15 days ago. The first week was the worst with major coughing and sinus congestion and body aches. I didn't think it was flu because I didn't have the usual vomiting or diarrhea that accompanies flu. It did feel like Bronchitis though because my entire mid-section of my body was very sore from all the violent coughing. After a week, I took some Bronchaid and it knocked it right out, except it became a severe case of sinusitis. Also, after that first week, my entire family caught the bug, wife and all three children. I took them in and the docs are saying its the flu. They've all been sick for a week and I'm entering my third week. I don't have the body aches and all that anymore, just the severe head congestion with occasional cough, but the little ones are pretty sick.

Thing is, down here in FL this bug is on a rampage. I've run into many folks who are suffering from the same symptoms. Be safe everyone and start chomping on the vitamin c. This bug is making its rounds and once it has its grip on ya, it don't want to let go.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
This is my third time to be sick in my adult life, and I'm 31!

Lasted a few days, seemed to go away, then started coming back, and now is just lingering cough and slight headache for last 4 weeks. Very strange. Never been sick this long jn my life. I usually start to get sick and clear through before truly being taken down. I think it was flu, because I did have muscles aching, and alternating hot and cold shivers and burning up.

Hope this isn't what I think it may be. I'm not even gonna say, because if it's true... thats really bad. I'll just say... what mimcks flu-like symptoms that may be related to some global speculation on current events?

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I am 61 and I remember having two horrible bouts with the flu. The first time was in the 50's. I was a small child and I was so weak my Dad had to carry me to the bathroom because I couldn't walk.
Then, there was a particularly nasty strain going around in the 70's. I remember being sick as a dog. My ex-husband, the kids and I were sick.
I try and avoid crowds as much as I can because I have COPD and diabetes and that compromises my immune system, but I had to go to the grocery store yesterday. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I haven't come in contact with any flu germs .
Stay warm and healthy friends,
~Linda

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
What would really make life easier is if people (speaking of adults) wouldn't sneeze into your face or cough into the open when others are in the vicinity. I literally had someone sneeze right on me today who made no attempt to turn the head or block the flow with a hand or elbow. I have always been annoyed with adults who don't know how to wait in line or do other things most learned in kindergarten but this is just gross. I get an accident but it was clear this person felt it coming (the whole delay & eye squinting thing), so my thinking is - if all try to practice good manners and not share this stuff we might not ever see a pandemic.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
CDC: FLU EPIDEMIC

40+ states report widespread infections, 18+ kids dead

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I finally realize how someone could die from the flu. I live in North Florida and caught it in the waiting room at the docs office on christmas eve. The day after christmas I was in bed for 24 hours unable to move. I had to fight to text a friend to bring me something to eat. I took two aspirin and it was just enough relief to get up out of bed. A little mucinex and im ok. A hundred years ago I could have been dead. Im avoiding people for a few days.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Absolutely nasty strain going on here too, even some hospitalized after with pneumonia and bronchitis. My son was out for almost a week, barely supplementing with liposomal vitamin C.

Me, I drank a lot and was busy making some lipo C every single day, sometimes making 2 48 oz batches in one day during that 8 day stretch, but it was well worth it to not have those nasty symptoms.

Every time the symptoms would start to show, achy all over, nasal drainage, nausea, fever setting in etc... I would take a shot of 6 oz of lipo C which seemed to last almost 3 or so hours. I did this for two days straight and did not require any bed rest. Soon after, my wife, daughter and son's girlfriend also came down with it and used the lipo C as I did to get over it quickly by drinking up to 30 oz a day.

The last time I had the flu was shortly after the first time receiving a flu shot, a few or so years back, yeah, correlation and all that but I thought I was gonna die and didn't want to repeat that episode.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Thanks for the idea on the special vitamin C. Hope I can find something because I now feel cruddy so want to get in front of this.

It would be good to know what type of signs and symptoms (are they varying a great deal), are present in people who are dying (saw that some children died in post above). Thus far - may or may not have a fever. Body aches and headache seem to be across the board. Is it just spreading into their lungs so they are unable to breathe?

Most of us don't go to the doctor for the flu as we've become conditioned to tough it out (because can't do anything for it anyway). I'm wondering why - when in the hospital the people who are dying aren't able to be kept alive. If the virus has moved into the lungs as an example why can't they keep them on a breathing machine until their immune system gets strong enough. I'm guessing they are getting there too late due to thinking - it's just the flu.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join