It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan Governor Signs Anti-NDAA Bill into Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The State of Michigan has passed an anti-NDAA law and their Governor has signed it !

Michigan now joins many other states, counties and even cities in sending a message to the Federal authoritarians that maybe "indefinite detention" is a bit too much.

With a few pen strokes, Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder took the first step in getting the Great Lakes State out of the indefinite detention business.

On Thursday, Snyder signed bill prohibiting any state agency in Michigan from cooperating with the U.S. military if it attempts to indefinitely detain a U.S. citizen without due process.

SB094 bars any state agency, employee, agency of a political subdivision of the state and members of the Michigan National Guard from aiding “an agency of the armed forces of the United States in any investigation, prosecution, or detention of any person pursuant to section 1021 of the national defense authorization act for fiscal year 2012, if such aid would place that state agency, political subdivision, employee, or member of the Michigan national guard in violation of the United States constitution, the state constitution of 1963, or any law of this state.”

Michigan Governor Signs Anti-NDAA Bill into Law

for nationwide reference;Anti-NDAA Legislation Tracking

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Good news for those in Michigan....................or NOT? The totalitarian environment of this country when it comes to States rights and the voice of the citizens whom vote doesn't seem to matter anymore!

Hell, just look at the states whom the people have voted to legalize a certain noun that we are not aloud to talk about and how the FEDS seem to think they have the authority to OVERRULE the wishes of the people......

Time for the States to have a Constitutional Convention to take away the overstepping authority that the Feds have deemed they know best don't you think?
edit on 27-12-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

seeker1963

Good news for those in Michigan....................or NOT? The totalitarian environment of this country when it comes to States rights and the voice of the citizens whom vote doesn't seem to matter anymore!

Hell, just look at the states whom the people have voted to legalize a certain noun that we are not aloud to talk about and how the FEDS seem to think they have the authority to OVERRULE the wishes of the people......

Time for the States to have a Constitutional Convention to take away the overstepping authority that the Feds have deemed they know best don't you think?
edit on 27-12-2013 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

Like that is going to happen.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Cynic

I agree! Sad...............but I agree!

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Absolutely !

And I wonder just how much "effect" these anti-NDAA laws actually have.

The Michigan law seems to only stop their guard units from "aiding" the U.S. Military etc. etc.

The Federal units can still detain indefinitely without "help" ?

I suppose next we'll be hearing about some new way to have a drone swoop down on somebody and take them away to be indefinitely detained.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
You know what my friend? The writing is on the wall. It isn't about "which party is better" anymore. They ALL serve a higher power (military/industrial complex) than the people whom elect them! Sadly enough, "They" thru the use of televisions and news (state run media) have created such a divisive environment in this country, that WE are too busy fighting each other versus watching THEM!

I think the new motto of elected officials of the United States should be, "We blow smoke up your a$$ so that we can rob you blind while still making you think we follow the Constitution and CARE about you and your families well being!".....

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Being from Michigan I am glad to see this. Some of the stuff Snyder is doing is pretty good. I didn't like what the last governor was doing in her last term in office. She passed some pretty shady laws aimed at supporting businesses in the medical, pharmaceutical, and banking industries. She was bad for the industrial businesses
edit on 27-12-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

xuenchen
The Michigan law seems to only stop their guard units from "aiding" the U.S. Military etc. etc.

It doesn't even do that. The Michigan National Guard is still that ... the National Guard. It can be federalized at any time.

This law is essentially meaningless. All it says is that employees of the state are forbidden from doing anything illegal. The detention of terrorists associated with AQ is legal. The law was passed by Congress, signed by the President, and the issues were adjudicated by the Supreme Court. All this was decided ten years ago (more or less). It's silly to pretend otherwise.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Doesn't matter. Rick still sucks. He hates women and workers. end sarcasm. I work for the State of Michigan and maintain his building and house and have spoken with some of his people. If Michiganders knew half of what this guy has done and why he would be reelected by a landslide. He sincerely is working his hind end off to make Michigan great again and by every single measure it is working like a charm. Don't listen to the blind fool union members that say him passing "right to work" is an attack on workers. The single solitary thing it does is give me the right to not be in the union and keep my job. For the ignorant that are now going to say "it's already illegal to make someone join a union" shut up before you say it because if the only job available to feed my children is in a union shop I AM ABSOLUTELY FORCED TO JOIN THE FLIPPING UNION OR WATCH MY CHILDREN STARVE!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ccross

I guess I'm one of those michigan blind fool union workers. So you don't want to join a union, good for you.
Don't apply for a union job. See how easy that is. I don't want to work in the fast food industry, guess what, I don't apply at Mcdonalds.

Personally I think most union bashers know much about unions.
I'd say more on the subject but just got home from welding all night at a shutdown at a Chrysler plant in Detroit and just want to drink my beer

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

Perhaps you didn't read my post. The point is that if my choice is a closed shop versus a job that wouldn't pay enough to feed my children than it is not really a choice. I guess you could compare it to signing a contract under duress. If unions didn't demand exclusivity at a federal level than they would have nothing to worry about, freeloaders and such. I pay taxes that the unions(special interests representing a few percent of the taxpayers) somehow obtained a monopoly on. It seems democracy would dictate where our tax dollars are spent and not some small but powerfull group. Yet supporters pretend that "card check" is good for people when all it does is enable union thugs to strongarm people into forming a union.

Why are union supporters so god awfully afraid of letting me decide if I want to do business with them? What kind of organization owes its entire existance to mandatory membership? What about individual freedom to deal directly with my boss and let everyone else look out for themselves?

BTW I am no union basher I just have an opinion too. I actually consider myself exactly in the middle of the issue since I don't believe it is possible to know the net effect of unions for the whole. Too many variables over too many years.
edit on 12/28/2013 by ccross because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/28/2013 by ccross because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Snyder, one tough nerd. I'm not too displeased with Dick.

Our old governess disappointed me, and fat boy before her, he pissed me off.

I must admit I thought about being a Grandholm/Palin sandwich for a while.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Gotta say I was skeptical of this nerd at first, however our old governess set the bar low, the only thing I agreed with of hers was letting the movie industry into michigan.

However that really didn't seem to help out anyone to much, except a few of my friends became extras in a few movies. Under Rick things are slowly getting better , he simplified the business taxes and has been chugging along doing what I believe are responsible things.

While this isnt an end all be all measure to NDAA it still sends a message and its one I can support.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

I was in the union as a kid (#514 Cement Masons). I left it to join the Army because I wanted a steady job. LoL

I would support the unions if the union reps stopped getting paid when they put us on strike. Let them not be able to feed their family and I bet the lawyers and suits would negotiate a hell of a lot faster than they do now.

+On topic - this will not change anything really - the government seldom does anything dirty in the light of day. This law is a way to show the commoners that they are not alone, it is simply more smoke and mirrors to appease the masses.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Fantastic news, that's just lightened my day!

The state system trumps ridiculous laws once again!

S + F

new topics

top topics

join