It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Duck Dynasty' to resume filming with Phil Robertson

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Gryphon66

Yeah, that's the exact verse they used to quote at me quite frequently.
My one friend who cut his hair was greeted with relieved jubilation, and somebody said loudly enough for me to hear: "Wow, he no longer looks like a mess!"

I sometimes think the church back then only tolerated it because of Jeff Fenholt, and that I could minister in the metal scene (who clearly needed ministering according to the ideology of the time).
Ironically, the one pastor joked that I looked like something that had walked out of a children's Bible!

However, perhaps like a younger me, the Duck Dynasty guys take their inspiration from the musical Hair: "...my Hair like Jesus wore it, hallelujah I adore it...!"

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

you know phage, nevermind you know it all!

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

He was told he couldn't say certain things on the show.

you have to wonder is he motivated by hate or by love , in his mind his motivation is love or so he sees it that way because he thinks he is saving someone.

Walk a mile in another's shoes, goes both ways,

Write him a letter, maybe he will respond.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Stormdancer777
reply to post by Phage

There were lots of things changed for the show: see my post here

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

So? All contracts have conditions. Did he have a gun held to his head when he signed up?

No one prevented him from saying anything off of the show. No one can. He has not been "silenced".

in his mind his motivation is love or so he sees it that way because he thinks he is saving someone.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Write him a letter, maybe he will respond.
Why? To tell him I think he's a fool? I'm sure he's got plenty of that (and worse). I'm sure he's got a lot of love too.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

While it's quite crucial and valuable to point out that the show is scripted and fake, I'm also becoming more interested in why the whole imagery has an appeal.

I'm also a bit doubtful about the term "fake", especially when it comes to the views espoused off the show.

Certainly from a conspiracy view nothing on the show is probably by accident, including the people they chose, and there's a subliminal symbolic meaning to the combination of symbols.

Even from a view that examines gender performances and masculinities there's something interesting being modeled here.

I can't really tell as an outsider, except to say that at the moment this type of unkempt masculinity wouldn't work for a mass white Christian audience in South Africa.
It might in future, since most of the things Americans do is inevitably copied, and I'm sure the outfits will influence a whole subculture in the US.

The first thing I'd think regarding the hairstyles is Native Americans.
I made a thread a long time ago on why the Boston Tea Party rebels dressed like Native Americans, and the question was never answered.
Clearly it was recognized as a disguise, so it wasn't like they were trying to really fool anyone.
To me it rather seems that they were expressing themselves as Americans, rather than British subjects by identifying with the native peoples, but I'm still not sure.

The next thing is hippies, and some southern rock groups (the latter being the superficial suggestion, along with Vietnam veterans, although their appearance seemed to side with the hippies).
Perhaps here the meaning is simply anti-authoritarian, and anti-establishment?

The fact that they were yuppies in what looks like the early 1990s is interesting in itself.
The usual narrative of a lifestyle change-over is supposed to be from messy hippie to yuppie, or from alternative to dorky, and not the other way around.
Perhaps people have become too cynical of that, and hence here we have it in reverse.

The image certainly seems to use a number of tropes and associations (also from films), although it would be difficult to call the appearance a Christian rejection of materialism, considering that they are still very rich people (rich people were not so popular with Jesus, and hence this seems to be an oxymoronic tension about the show).

Ultimately it's just another rendition of the "tough guise", but I guess it wouldn't function if one element was removed.
Without the beards they'd just be men with long hair (more aging Stryper or Poison than ZZ Top), and without the long hair and outfits they'd just look like radical Muslims or some weird cult gurus.
edit on 29-12-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I really don't see this conversation accomplishing anything, do you?

I understand where you are coming from.

I should have dropped the subject a long time ago.

Forums are odd places

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Interesting. Has anyone ever confronted the Robertson family about this? I wonder if any people who knew them prior to this show have said anything about that (assuming it's true).

edit on 29-12-2013 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I really don't see this conversation accomplishing anything, do you?
Do conversations have to "accomplish" anything? On the other hand, isn't stimulating thought an accomplishment?

Forums are odd places
I agree.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Personally I don't think the religion is scripted.

If it is then he is preaching at churches? Why?

So his whole life story is scripted?

personally I believe some of it is scripted some not,

What about is older hunting videos?
He was never a poor kid, drug addict, alcoholic, he and his kids never hunted, he didn't invent duck calls?

intrepid said he watched him for years and he is the real deal,

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Just seems like we are going in circles.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Uhhhhh . . . OK . . .

At one point in time . . . they seemed to dress and play the roles of yuppies rather convincingly.

Now they are playing a much earthier, sort of . . . back-woods, anti-system role.

I'm curious what convinces you that one role is more "fake" than another one.

Certainly TV and media are scripted by the globalist oligarchy to the hilt. No argument with that GENERALIZATION.

Nevertheless, what little I've watched the DD brothers & dad . . . on their show on youtube as well as on THE 700 CLUB etc. . . . I would not assign "fake" to them as any kind of seriously earned label.

To my psychologist/Christian/66 year old perceptions, they are well above average in authenticity, earnestness, sincerity. Note: I did not say perfect, saintly, flawless etc.

Which leaves me wondering about the degree of your biases coloring your assignment of the "fake" label.

One tell-tale bit of evidence is something I've not heard much about yet. How are their children doing? Children aren't faked out. They don't believe what's said vs what's lived-out. They only buy what's modeled, walked out earnestly in the nitty gritties of life.

I read on this thread all manner of proud "omniscient" pronouncements about how it is all 100% a scripted farce from beginning to end. I just don't see it that way. Certainly A&E is well able to play a farce role. Most humans are, as well.

I just don't see that level of farce remotely congruent with these personalities nor with their values.

And every show I've seen and every interview I've seen, these folks come across as EXTREMELY CONGRUENT across the board--well above average, anyway.

It's curious to me that so many hereon do NOT see that high level of congruence. What is THAT about?

I had a hunch early on that the family would back the father up to the hilt. That was the only thing that made sense to me in terms of their values and the nature of their relationships as I'd observed them.

Time will tell.

It just doesn't seem like a LOT of even moderately deep perceptivity is operating much on this thread. And the amount of discernment could probably be contained in a thimble or two.

imho, Most of the blather seems spewed greatly more from biases than from the evidence that I see.

It is a bit . . . disheartening . . . that our era is sooooooooooo full of soooooooooo much disinformation, farce, media lies, hollowness, stick figures, public shells vs authentic persons . . . that it seems to be INCONCEIVABLE for most folks hereon to even IMAGINE that there COULD be a shred of authenticity to such individuals, much less a whole family of them.

And, for sure, by the time the media feeding frenzy is over, if they had their way, there wouldn't be any shreds left alive, much less considered admirable by any PC hip 'modern' globalist.

Sigh.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Happy New Year everybody!

I suppose it wasn't as interesting as 2012, when religious and pseudo-religious nuts tried to convince us twice that the world would end.

But at least Duck Dynasty gave us some religious kitsch, and changed the dorky imagery of Christianity from Ned Flanders to "swamp hippies".

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord
I think people need to realize, again, that the Robertsons are just playing FAKE roles on a TV show.

Here's the four brothers after a day of golf at the club...

Korie and Willie in a nice family portrait at the beach a few years ago. Nice "frosted tips" on Willie...

Family portraits in nice clean-whites/lights at the
beach are apparently a Robertson "thing." Jep and Jessica, also…

And, Jase and Missy…

The "characters" you see on the show are just playing a scripted part, and are not genuine. And if their parts are scripted, is the religion also?

Yes, they have shaved their faces in the past.
But there isn't an attempt to fool the public into believing that they have always had beards.
Watch episode #28.
In that episode, which aired in 2012, photos are shown of the sons sans facial hair. Willie is heard to say, 'No, we didn't always have beards.'
If they didn't have beards on the show and had a yuppie look, someone would dredge up a photo of the boys with a 5 day old beard, saying 'Look, they were hippies before the show!'
I am going to go look for photos of the wives without makeup, so we can prove that they are fake also.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
It will be with the same resolution that I continue ignoring 'reality television programming', regardless of how strenuously certain channels create crisis situations, such as has been demonstrated here, to gain viewership and advertising dollars.

I

just

don't

care.

Phil can say whatever he wants...

edit on 1/1/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

your proud of hate ? Jesus condemned the rich every chance he got. Its also a sin to not be clean and Phil looks like he stinks. Women especially must not have heard what he said. Unless you think women should stay in the kitchen ?

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Its crazy that WOMEN still support him even after what he said about them.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord

The "characters" you see on the show are just playing a scripted part, and are not genuine. And if their parts are scripted, is the religion also?

Possibly. On those pictures you posted there is no "Redneck feel" whatsoever.

The whole thing may have just been stealth marketing and the "left-right"-public unwitting dupes whose sole purpose was to make this "the talk of the country".
edit on 1-1-2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Why would A&E or the Robertson take the risk of alienating people?

It just doesn't make sense.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Oscar Wilde

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join