It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The meme as a control mechanism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
In this information age, we are witnessing an alarming trend of cultural homogenisation. Values, interests, language, the whole gamut. New ideas can spread around the globe in a matter of hours and become common knowledge. Never before has information moved so fast, and yet never before has the status-quo been imposed with such zeal, to the point where we can speak about a common global culture.

There are many theories to explain this. One thing I've long wondered about is the effect of internet memes on this cultural shift. The concept of viral, self-promoting, self-replicating ideas seems to fit the process of cultural homogenisation like a glove. Once merely associated with funny cat pictures and Chuck Norris jokes, internet memes have since evolved into a major marketing tool. The success of viral campaigns did not escape corporate notice, so this leads me to wonder if government has also picked up on the potential of this tool. Could it be used to enforce social control? If so, then what form would it take?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I agreed with this idea but then I took an arrow in the knee.

Memes are mostly a distraction but with some ability to change thought patterns.
edit on 12/27/2013 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Whereas before we had black text on white space, wherein little to no actual emotion was imparted or conveyed unless capitals or actual descriptions were used, memes have now digitized the emotional spectrum and allowed us to transfer a thought or feeling from one keyboard to another. You look at the image and you think, "I know exactly how that feels" or "Heh, I can relate." I'd be more concerned if we'd started out with emoticons and started tracking a reduction in their application. What I see today suggests a layer of emotional context swiftly infecting digital communication and allowing us to better grasp the messages we send around the globe. For instance, someone in Spain could see a tweet from someone in Russia. They may only be able to grasp a couple words in the tweet, but then a meme pops up and they instantly recognize the theme behind the tweet. In that case, a cultural gap was spanned by a Pavlov-esque exchange in digital arts.

I think that's pretty damned cool.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

are you talking about emoticons or memes, i think i just took an arrow to the knee.... Shepard

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Some of these just becomes current shorthand for a topic or feeling.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

They are mostly just in good fun. An easy, funnier way to express a feeling or emotion. Some are funny, some are offensive, yet in this day of the internetz every one knows what they are. I see it more as a trend right now anyway. Soon they will be old and no one will care and they will be off finding something new to get there jolly's off.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Both.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Huh, guys...the subject was memes, not emoticons. I'm not sure where you all got that idea. Was my topic badly worded or something?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Cathcart

They are effectively the same thing.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Cathcart
Huh, guys...the subject was memes, not emoticons. I'm not sure where you all got that idea. Was my topic badly worded or something?

It is ATS - comprehension issues galore.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
They are effectively the same thing.

Please explain how.

Internet meme

Emoticons

And for the record, "internet memes" include stuff like viral marketing and flash robs.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Chuck Norris doesn't need memes to control you.

new topics

top topics

join