It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "NO" votes for independce in 1776. Can you guess which ones still wanted to be under the crown

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
There were a large number that wanted to get rid of the english and bring Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie
)of Scotland as king .
www.crabbyfatguy.com...
And they also wanted to invade Scotland and free it from english rule. then free Ireland next.

Many of these people were jacobites exiled after the 1745 Jacobite uprising.

(post by UxoriousMagnus removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

I really like America. So much so that I chose to become American.

My mother is British. I spent most of my formative years in the UK. I have an affection to the "home-country" that will never leave. I really loved living in London.
Growing up in another country has allowed me to gain a unique perspective on America. So much so, that when the time came, I joined the USAF instead of the RAF.

You, sir, are doing America a disservice by posting such things.

(post by UxoriousMagnus removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

There were a large number that wanted to get rid of the english and bring Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie
)of Scotland as king .

I'm pretty sure this is rubbish, but I'll look into it.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
There are many parts of American History that is not taught in the education system. The main reason is that there is so much of it, how and where do you begin with?

The Op has pointed out that the voting for the independence was not all yes, while it is true, that the initial voting was mixed and ultimately the delegates themselves were all divided on the issue. Most initially were against the very idea of separating from the British empire, as it was seen and believed to be foolish. They debated, argued and ultimately worked to try to come to a compromise. Take for example, Ben Franklin. Dr. Franklin, a well known statesman, printer, and inventor, was well received in Europe, and well respected. However, on his last trip to England, he was held accountable for the actions of the colonists. Even to the point of being humiliated by King George III, in front of the court. It was at that time frame that he came to the conclusion that it was time to split from the British empire, and after his return, became an ardent supporter of independence.

You mention Pennsylvania, however, the vote going there, well, the leading delegate was Mr. Dickinson, who believed that reconciliation was possible, however, more and more, found it necessary either to be absent from all votes on such, or abstaining from such. Delaware was won by polling the votes of the delegates, as there was Thomas McKean, George Read, and Ceasar Rodney. Mckean and Rodney were in favor of such.

What many tend to forget, most of the delegates that voted for independence did such as their conscious directed, and some had much to lose by independence, as they still had ties to England, or they did not believe that war was the way, as it was an affront to their beliefs. Many of the founding fathers, were very religious men, believing deeply in the churches that they belonged to. But if there has to be any proof, look at the very document that we look at, the Declaration of Independence, and look at all of the names attached to it, if those delegates were so against the very idea, then why did they put their names to a document that would have been considered an act of treason?

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join