It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentina: 70 injured in carnivorous fish attack!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — An attack by a school of carnivorous fish has injured 70 people bathing in an Argentine river, including seven children who lost parts of their fingers or toes.

Director of lifeguards Federico Cornier said Thursday that thousands of bathers were cooling off from 100-degree temperatures in the Parana River in Rosario on Wednesday when bathers suddenly began complaining of bite marks on their hands and feet. He blamed the attack on palometas, "a type of piranha, big, voracious and with sharp teeth that can really bite."

So much for taking a vacation in Argentina. Thank God we don't have any fish like that were we live.

www.washingtonpost.com... .html

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
don't blame the poor fish for it, blame the tasty swimmers invading their territory

broken link btw

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I think this is the point in history when we will look back and realise that Darwin's theory was spot on.
Nature has evolved and the fish are getting their own back, turning the hunters into the hunted.
A form of Piscatorial Persecution?
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.
Wait until the shellfish get in on the act in revenge for decades of abuse, can you be sure that raw oyster is not going to choke you from inside your gullet?
Will Fukushima create a new species of man eating Tuna?
It's not just the Paranha River you know, all the oceans are connected and your toilet runs into the sewer which dumps into these guys living space. So check before you place your ass on the pan peeps!
Moby Dick, Little Mermaid, Flipper, Nemo, Free Willy (with every Seaworld Orca show - no, the Orca at Seaworld have been fighting back for some tome now), Loch Ness Monster, they are all after you folks.
Stick to dry land, then the fishies can't get you, but what about the amphibians, Mutant Teenage Ninja Turtles, Godzilla...
Would you have been hanging about in a river named after a flesh eating fish that lives there?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

If you have ever seen the movie Piranha, then you probably wouldn't be swimming in the Piranha river.
Yea, I know they don't really eat like that, but............

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I don't know if I would want to cool off in a river called the Parana River.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
"The Fish strikes Back"

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Reading the title and a thought popped into my bean...
"Tis only a rabbit".

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I don't want to be an asshole but these fish are usually harmless and eat dead stuff so maybe there was a nest nearby or some woman wasn't using her tampax the right way

ty network dude for showing how to use the youtube links
edit on 27-12-2013 by Indigent because: network dude rocks

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

This is a little sick and twisted, but damn funny.
edit on 27-12-2013 by network dude because: added thought.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Click the you tube button, then when it asks for the video number, put the text after the v=, like in this case
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGZpWOMGJCM&feature=youtu.be" was the URL and v=wGZpWOMGJCM.
so you would enter just the "wGZpWOMGJCM".

If you have questions, just quote my post and look at the text.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

So much for taking a vacation in Argentina. Thank God we don't have any fish like that were we live.
reply to post by nighthawk1954

If they keep on selling Piranha's at local pet stores, we may some day have Piranha's swimming in the southern waters of the United States. Just look at how many pythons were abandoned in the Florida Everglades that are now posing a threat to the ecosystem.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I guess they were lucky the human buffet was so large and varied. If they'd focus on just a few? Well.... wouldn't need to worry about any exotic methods to clean the bones. That's for sure... That's about all that'd likely be left. (Op link is broken so I missed the details for how vicious this variant is on feeding frenzy)

I recall one show I think I saw at college but it may have been discovery...the material overlaps at times. They ran one cow across a river first and when it began to vanish into a mass of red water, they very quickly herded the main body of animals across, in the hopes the sacrificial one drew off the threat long enough.

As I kid I recall joking about seeding a local lake with piranha. Oh..kids and warped ideas of what's 'funny' eh? The scary thing is..there was 0 chance of kids like us having means to actually do it. No chance at all. These days? I wonder...can you order them right off the net? I almost wouldn't be surprised.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

i dont think this little fish are so bad, if they where like that eating all in their way there should be no other fish in the river where they inhabit, they only eat dead/wounded stuff

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Well, I don't believe the many waterways that Pirahna are native to are devoid of all life outside them. They wouldn't live long as a species if they burned out their own food source by nature.

I think what makes those little critters so dangerous, aside from the razor teeth, is simply the frenzy behavior. It's not that one set of teeth can injure a full size head of cattle ..it's that a frenzy of them can eat it to bare bone quick enough to have the rest rushing to move a herd across a river ..lest they get done TOO soon ..

Does anyone by chance know more about the specific type in the OP for that, out of idle curiosity?

new topics

top topics

join