It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should people be jailed over simple unpaid fines?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
the simple answer is no....but we are all just a comodity to these people in charge and they are calling the shots for as long as we let them

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

sparky31
your answer is send them to britain cause your lucky we even jail people for murder these days so anything just below that your guaranteed freedom.
they don't jail people in the u.k anymore for fines they make them do labor

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
There was a thread here recently that was about privatization of prisons. Anyways in that thread it was discussed that these private prisons have contracts with the state that sort of guarantees a certain head count. This is the result of that. Now municipalities and states have to keep prisons and jails full or they can be sued for breach of contract. Easiest way is to round up poor schmucks with fines who cant pay or enforce mandatory minimums. Its a farce. If I was an LEO I would be a bit ticked that you are basically a tax collector of sorts while crime runs rampant in the usual urban spots.

Also there is no statue of limitations on a fine or failure to appear so they just add one to the books and wait til you do something like renew your license and grab you.

It is funny how people have these common misconceptions about the law. Like statue of limitations. You would think that if you had a warrant and the statute ran out then that was it but no they have tolling which essentially stops the timer until they catch you haha. It is such a one sided joke at this point you have to laugh to keep from crying.

edit on 26-12-2013 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

simple answer is No, no one should ever go to jail over not paying a speeding fine. They should lose the privilege to drive a car but making them pay a fine is only there for a Government money grab. Money is the root of all evil.::

for the so called repeat offenders of serious misdemeanors such as Drink driving provide them with options of long terms loss of license or work or pay fine. The use of fines should only occur in first instance in Civil court actions. Eg speeding driver accidently kills pedestrian, so family sues for retribution costs and then the money should be going to the victums family not government.

This stuff is common sense so you wonder why governments cant get it? Its because they want your money. money comes before people in society anyone who cant see that must be wealthy.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Your mixing up civil and criminal law.
Two entirely different issues.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Your mixing up civil and criminal law.
Two entirely different issues.

No im not. person goes to jail under criminal law and person pays hefty retribution cost to victums family under civil. I didn't say a person couldn't go to jail. In some cases jail is the only way to deal with a menace.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

@Should people be jailed over simple unpaid fines?

Its understood there are laws of man associated with $ & traffic fines. Maybe to recover the expenses some chargeable traffic courses or public like services can be requested like street line painting, traffic sign placement, curb cleaning etc. that can allow the fined to work off the expenses they may be having issues paying.
To imprison some for traffic and minor offenses fines who may be already in a financial stress points associated with economic pressures programs? Can place someone who cannot pay fines in a worst position after freed especially if they lose their job due to being imprisoned. What do they do next as a citizen of EA*RTH?

Some of the EA*RTH financially associated laws... How would FATHER view those that are designed... by a originally species assessed equally viewed society? intended for a illusionary lower society? and are broken by some of the designers who feel they are of a even more illusionary higher society?

Internal question/answer...

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
YES,...As soon as every elected Congressman and Rep is jailed for not paying our country's "fine" we incur from the Federal Reserve every fiscal year in the form of INTEREST on fiat money we borrow from said SCUM .

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by coastlinekid

I would rather they were all hit with the RICO act. Ill take my payment in tears.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

nugget1
This sounds like it could be very beneficial to the homeless in our country! Minor offense, unpaid fine = 3 squares, warm shelter and a hot shower...plus indoor plumbing!
Guess we need to build more prisons now......

How would you justify that homeless people want to go to jail or prison!!?? They will get beat up, raped and extorted for protection. I'd just as soon live under an over pass or go off grid bc my behind doesn't need to be wine and dined by bubba...

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

If you can't pay the fine, don't break the rules, and you won't get punished with jail.

I think thats the most obvius solution to this.

I am "poor" and can't afford to get tickets or fines, so i respect the rules, and so far it has worked for 41 years, im happy and no one bothers me and they never will.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Better not ever go out on a boat. The US Coast Guard(which is now a police force), Customs & Border Control, and state police can board your boat and do a full search at anytime. If you have a warrant for unpaid fines they will arrest you.

No way we should go to jail for unpaid fines. Too bad the justice system has for the most part become a racketeering scheme.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Helious
If you want to really understand the depth of the racket they are running, do some research into "contempt of court".

American judges are using this little piece of judicial tyranny every single day as there own personal NDAA in violation of the very spirit of the Constitution and the American justice system.

When you go to court for contempt, almost always you face the same judge who has charged you with contempt which would obviously be biased towards your position and ensure you will not have a fair hearing in the first place. Add onto that you can not request a jury trial for contempt so it's completely up to the judge, you know, the one who said you were guilty of it. Oh yeah, they can just sentence you to whatever they feel like on top of that, without trial by your peers, a month, a year, whatever.

Contempt of court............ Not the way American justice was meant to be. Look into it.

I was held in contempt once. It was me against a very biased Judge. I ended up having to pay up to avoid prison, for something the court had no proof that I supposedly was guilty of. It was PAY or go to JAIL. Pricks...

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   

jrod
reply to post by Mianeye

Better not ever go out on a boat. The US Coast Guard(which is now a police force), Customs & Border Control, and state police can board your boat and do a full search at anytime. If you have a warrant for unpaid fines they will arrest you.

No way we should go to jail for unpaid fines. Too bad the justice system has for the most part become a racketeering scheme.

Kind of funny you should say that, i was a sailor(Job) and i have a boat, "i have seen more Custums than there are Custums in the world", and they pretty much allways say, have a nice day when they leave, cause i have no unpaid fines and stick to the rules.

But fines have been handed out to the ships i have been sailing on, but mostly cause some rule was broken.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I can add another level to this issue...

I live in the Netherlands, and speeding is what we do, when we can... Ha.

Our tickets usually come from camera's positioned along side our freeways and when you're speed limit is to high..., some places are monitored for a number of miles and your average is calculated for that piece of road...
And lots more...

We get them with the mail, within a day or 5. We can pay or let it expire, the fine you had to pay will increase by a 3th I think. This will happen twice, and you can end up paying hundreds of Euro's while the original fine was only E 45.-

After it is maxed, it takes some time before you get in the system, a year or two. Then they will make you pay if they happen to run into you, or they will come to your house.

They can also lock you up, and in the past every day of jail time, you payed 50 Euro or something.

These days they have come up with another thing... They can take you hostage for a week or two, to encourage you to pay, if you don't, they can lock you up again for 2 weeks.

This isn't meant for every fine, or every ticket. They have to officially ask a judge if they are allowed to take you hostage, and you need to be very late with your payment.

Still...What a world huh ?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
If there were no distasteful consequences to not paying a fine, how many offenders would bother paying at all regardless of means? Here, not paying a fine will see you eventually in a courtroom where you can present your case if you feel you've been wrongly accused. That day in court, if you elect to go that way and lose, will be much more costly than the original fine.

We get people in court here for non-payment of parking tickets if they've racked up an impressive pile of them that is and the local councils then escalate the matter to the legal system where it becomes pay up or lock up. The least painful way to deal with simple fines is to pay them on time in full, no matter what it takes to do so and, as stated above, if you can't afford the fine don't get caught breaking the rules.

Actions and consequences....

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   

No. There are too many people in jail already for stupid stuff. They are criminalizing everything. And by engineering a debate they are guiding us into acceptance.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
First thought, if you can't do the time don't do the crime!
Next, if you get a fine, pay the bloody thing, then they won't be coming after you.

Next, for TPTB, if you are coming down hard on the people at the bottom, due in no small part to the contract you have with any one of the myriad private incarceration bloodsuckers, better make sure that the real criminals at the top of the dung heap do proportionate time as well!

Whoever allowed the bean counters into the prisons system as advisors rather than inmates should be in an asylum, state or private!

There is only one reason companies spend billions developing prisons and it's sod all to do with rehabilitation of offenders, clue, follow the money trail, especially where it voyages offshore.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
It was called a debtors prison in times past.

It was made illegal long ago.

It's coming back.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   

So you jail them for non payment of fines then house them at a cost of around $5000-10000 per calendar month??? How very cost effective!
LoL

Would it not be cheaper to just wipe their debt and give them $2500 to survive?
edit on 27-12-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join