It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
After much thinking and googling I have decided to post this. So here goes,

Whenever a UFO or alien picture is posted everyone quietly discusses it and then the discussion goes off into the direction of whether the picture is fake or not.

If the picture that is being discussed is taken from a fair distance away and looks all fuzzy and blurred it is almlst always pushed aside as being fake, photoshopped or a bird or something. Some people even say, ''Why didnt you get closer to the object?'' Would they walk up to an object that has just came from the sky? I dont think so.

And even if the picture is as clear as crystal, it is pasted off as fake because it is too clear!! I mean, can anyone one take a picture of a UFO or alien and everyone who sees it says, ''Yes, that does look real''

I am not aiming this at anyone but I just wanted to express my views.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I don't think people are looking to discredit the photos right away......More of trying to figure out if its fake or not. Alot of times, you'll hear people say exactly what you pointed out above. I think thats because
we all want it to be real, (on some level)and are challenging the person who posted/photographed the alien to prove that it is. Remember, the burden of proof lies with the person who makes the statement that the picture is real.

This has been an ongoing battle for years and no one has been able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that what they photographed was real. People are tired of it in some respects. And the easiest way to validate that it is real is to try to discredit it. Because in the end if there is no way it could be faked, then it has to be real. Process of elimination.

I think thats all it is.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Zanzi, i agree... People arealways like "Well why dont you get Closer?"

Hmm.. Well if were a covert alien who stopped for a piss or something.. do you think you would let someone get a closeup of your ship? and ruin thier whole plan? no..

also.. I agree with blend too.
Many of the people here are VERY Skeptical.. BUT that gives them no reason to make assumptions.. If they want to debunk a case.. than they should base thier judgements on something..

Other than saying Well.. Your too far.. Its too blurry... It looks so Clear..

WHAT proof do THEY have that its fake?

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
As someone who has witnessed an unexplained object first hand I don't believe I need to prove anything at all to anyone but myself.

Skeptics, all you need to do is research go to sites that log sightings and spend sometime reading. It does not take long at all to start to see the similarities witnessed from the various sightings then take a look at the sheer number of sightings then tell me everyone reporting is a hoaxer, com'on.

Before my sighting I was a skeptic as well but I had an open mind about the subject. I had never even researched the subject until my sighting then low and behold many many many people have witnessed the same thing as I.

Did I take a picture, of course not I was'nt sitting there waiting for one it just happens, if your lucky enough to have a camera or camcorder great but I suspect many of the sightings are just like mine out of the blue catching you off gaurd and without an item to record it with.

If you have seen something, good on you your one of the "lucky" few who are graced with the insight of something truly spectacular and for those who have'nt maybe you need to open your mind a bit and watch the skies and stop spending so much time fixed to your computer debunking things you really know nothing about.

Take a look at a clear night sky if you truly believe we are special and alone your ignorance has gotten the better of you...

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The problem is that any picture can be deemed fake.....any picture can be deemed authentic..

IE) A fake picture can look real and be deemed real
or
A real picture can look fake and be deemed fake

ultimately the decision will be made subconsiously by what you believe in...

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by qwick
As someone who has witnessed an unexplained object first hand I don't believe I need to prove anything at all to anyone but myself.

Skeptics, all you need to do is research go to sites that log sightings and spend sometime reading. It does not take long at all to start to see the similarities witnessed from the various sightings then take a look at the sheer number of sightings then tell me everyone reporting is a hoaxer, com'on.

Before my sighting I was a skeptic as well but I had an open mind about the subject. I had never even researched the subject until my sighting then low and behold many many many people have witnessed the same thing as I.

Did I take a picture, of course not I was'nt sitting there waiting for one it just happens, if your lucky enough to have a camera or camcorder great but I suspect many of the sightings are just like mine out of the blue catching you off gaurd and without an item to record it with.

If you have seen something, good on you your one of the "lucky" few who are graced with the insight of something truly spectacular and for those who have'nt maybe you need to open your mind a bit and watch the skies and stop spending so much time fixed to your computer debunking things you really know nothing about.

Take a look at a clear night sky if you truly believe we are special and alone your ignorance has gotten the better of you...

Wow. I was amazed by the sheer lack of logic on your part in this post. You claim that just because you've had a sighting and done tons of research that you KNOW that aliens are real, and visiting here.

Well, I beckon you to show me proof. All you have seen is an UFO, which, unless it's definition has been changed in the last 2 tenths of a second still is an Unidentified Flying Object. This means that you know NOTHING MORE than any of us do about WHAT it is, let alone WHO'S driving the thing. I've seen one myself, but it's only an UFO because I have yet to identify it. It doesn't mean that some little green man from Quandaloo is flying the thing.

So I ask you, please stop telling those of us that are skeptics or that don't believe "to open your mind a bit and watch the skies and stop spending so much time fixed to your computer debunking things you really know nothing about" because it is WE, in fact, that keep an open mind; otherwise we wouldn't be here, now would we? None of us know what it is, otherwise this chat would be pointless. You don't know, nor do we.

FIN.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 04:40 AM
link   
The human is a very curious creature, if he thought he was seeing an alien spaceship, then I know at least I, would get closer to see it. It maybe stupid, but it's a mechanism built into our brains. Who wants to miss out on such a Grande opportunity of seeing an alien spaceship, or even aliens walking around it.

No I am not skeptical of the existence of aliens, but that does not mean I should not be skeptical of the various claims made by people. There are so many claims, so much disinformation and misidentification, and theories presented as facts. If you were not skeptical, you would be left with a whole hotchpotch of conflicting ideas, and that would obfuscate the whole matter for you.

We are, like yourself, trying to seek the truth. Yes, there are many skeptics who do not seek the truth, but seek to hide from it, and they are pseudoskeptics. However, an intellectually honest skeptic, analyses the evidence objectively, and does not let his predispositions corrupt his investigation.

In the case of Woodsy recent photographs, we cannot see anything, but static, noise, some obscure outlines, and some bright lights. How do you know that Woodsy did not ask his friends to pose with flashlights, and put some objects in the clearing to have a laugh with believers online? We don't know, yet there is no evidence to suggest that this is not the case.
In the same way there is no evidence at all to suggest they're real UFO's.

So, what can any honest investigator do, when there is no evidence of anything? He discards it.

If people want to believe that woodsy's UFO's are real, just reflect on his case:

1. Some teenager registers, and then claims he saw landed flying UFO's
2. He presents pictures that show nothing but random lights, dark outlines and a lot of noise

So, you did not see any UFO's. You don't know who this person is. Yet, you believe him, simply on this strangers word? There is one word for this, and that is gullible. It is as intellectually dishonest as a pseudoskeptics attempt to label every UFO a weather balloon or a ball of lightening, or every UFO witnesss, as delusional.

The whole nature of UFO photographs, is that in this day and age, where the average person has access to the state of art image editing software like photoshop, it can be fairly easy to create a convincing UFO photograph. The photographs need to be analysed in labs and with special equipment, before anyone can make a ruling on them. This is is why, in my humble opinion, UFO photographs are not the best form of evidence today, and shall only be used to supplement evidence, not as the only form of evidence.

[edit on 20-11-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Many of the people here are VERY Skeptical.. BUT that gives them no reason to make assumptions.. If they want to debunk a case.. than they should base thier judgements on something..

Other than saying Well.. Your too far.. Its too blurry... It looks so Clear..

WHAT proof do THEY have that its fake? ( His response)

(Mine)
The burden of proof does belong to the person who took the pictures. And maybe that is not the way it should be, but that is the way it is. Too many faked photographs have surfaced. Too many people saying "this is real" when it was not. now any one who comes forward better be prepared for the skeptics. Because that is almost all that is left. Even if you have seen a ufo, you are skeptic. I saw one. I didn't have a camera, nor did I think about getting a picture.
Do I think all pictures are faked? No. But 90% have been. And that is what created the skeptics. And that is why I'm skeptical.
I agree that sometimes we on the boards are over zealous when trying to surmise if a photo is true or not. But don't think for a minute that it is because I want to discredit the photo. It's because I want to make sure it is creditable.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
true.. i would too... while reading your post.. i thought.. That if over 15 people or so.. that came up with photos of the same ship from different angles, Places.. That would be a little hard to debunk.. Especially if the people didnt know eachother..

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Now if we could get that one true Pic!!!

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
My avatarpic is real
I agree with the above statemens, but then again, it just makes the discussions a little more heated if some people try to debunk at once

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I BELIEVE!!!!!

Well..........Kind of

O.k. yours looks a little TOO real for me. TOO in focus,Too clear.......etc
etc..etc...

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Well, I "adjusted the focus" in photoshop. Otherwise the picture has not at all been tampered with

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
RIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHTTTTTTT!!!!

new topics

top topics

join