It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Recent Proclivity of Hillbilly Based Reality Television

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
What is the fascination with reality shows featuring people whose derogates would include hillbillies and rednecks? There's Swamp People, Moonshiners, Appalachian Outlaws, American Hoggers, Lady Hoggers, plus more, but at the top of the pile currently is Duck Dynasty.

Now, I quit watching television about two years ago, so I haven't been up on things, but I find myself often in situations lately where I am just exposed to it inadvertently. Seeing something develop incrementally, rather than on a smooth, daily basis has been eye opening.

Is the consumer market driving demand for these types of shows, and if so, what does that say about the consumer market who demands it? Does it say that they like to feel superior to others, and to do so, they watch the exploits of those whom they deem themselves 'above', if only even slightly?

Or is this what is being consumed because it is what we are being fed? One of my theories concerning the recent upsurge in 'hill people' television, is that possibly someone is trying to make mainstream and 'celebritize' these people, with the consideration that they are largely fundamentalist or evangelist Christian. Evangelist Christians being high on the list of potential domestic terrorists and all...

So, the media production masters, assuming that these people are just stupid enough to believe that they are being celebrated for who they are, and not mocked and laughed at by the next higher classes, think they can mitigate the threat of domestic terrorism.

Just a theory, but it's probably that reality television has an extremely high ROI, and these people might not ask for as much for being a part of the production.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

You will be at the mercy of these simple people in sync with the lands when the SHTF. City folks have forgotten how to survive without that neighborhood grocery store down the street. Without access to those, ya'll will be looking to the people next door for something to steal. Meanwhile, I won't be going hungry.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
If you haven't seen it watch a movie called Network. If there ever was a movie that told how things work it is the one. And it asks some of the questions you have.

Here are some scenes from it.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Seems to me that some of these shows are humorous and mildly entertaining. The average person in the city never gets exposed to the lives of these people so it's kinda like a national geographic special but it's a new culture in your own country.

Other stuff is successful on the "county fair" standard.
If you ever get to feeling bad about yourself then just go to the county fair and you will feel immediately better. Compared to some of the characters at a county fair, you will feel like royalty.
I believe the "Honey Boo-Boo" phenomena would apply here.

It's interesting now but will get boring after a while and they will find something else to put on tv.

It's all about the novelty.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Sorry to say, it's always been like that-check out Jim Goad's "Redneck Manifesto," in which he chronicles how the people of the Appalachians and the South have always been the butt of national mockery.

The poor are always the minstrels for the rich, and its high time we let them know that we're done playing for them.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Mon1k3r

Just a theory, but it's probably that reality television has an extremely high ROI, and these people might not ask for as much for being a part of the production.

ROI is precisely why reality TV has infected television like a flu virus. Small crew, small if any permit costs, On location shoots thus no soundstage/studio costs, basic gear like DSLRs and H4ns, no worries about script glitches, little time spent on rehearsals, editing on the tricaster so immediate turn around and basic or no craftservices.

Idk the reason for the public appeal; probably like you said that it enables the viewer to feel superior.

I have crewed/DP on 4 reality pilots; I don't know if they were successful at the pitch fests.
edit on 26-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
sorry
edit on 26-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

Those shows just try and cast all people who live in the country in a bad light.

It's all just reality television nonsense. Like Jersey Shore or Real World, only in a country setting.

I don't watch reality T.V. really.

Closest thing to reality T.V. I watch is that show BBQ Pitmasters with my girlfriend occasionally.We'll watch it when we don't feel like thinking and just want to waste time. That's only because we both love BBQ and BBQin'.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Hillbilly123069

You will be at the mercy of these simple people in sync with the lands when the SHTF. City folks have forgotten how to survive without that neighborhood grocery store down the street. Without access to those, ya'll will be looking to the people next door for something to steal. Meanwhile, I won't be going hungry.

Yeah, it seems like a setup to me. One big, long setup. Corral all the people into places they cannot survive without. With utilities like water, gas for heating water and homes, roads to drive cars on...

All these things we've built our lives around and on, what if they were all of a sudden gone? The people who dream us our masters have their fingers on the switch that makes it all happen. The electricity. In one swift stroke, life as we know it could end, and they could end it whenever they wanted to.

Children know that water comes out of a tap, but most of them these days don't know that if you don't drink it for a week, you will die. They also don't know how it comes out of the tap. They can't make the connection that when water comes out of a tap, it comes out because it is being pushed by electric pumps.

Can I hang out with you? I can play guitar. I'm useful.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Wow....
I've never seen or heard of that movie. That was some powerful stuff, it appears to be an older movie but i'll go out and say it seems a little ahead of its time.

Thank you for sharing those clips it was very enlightening.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Thanks for that, buster. I love over the top. Over the top works.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Remember the "Freak Show" that used to travel with the carnivals?
Welcome to the modern TV version of the same.
These shows serve several purposes:
They demean Southern Whites, notice the absence of any other race.
If they did make a similar show featuring a black family how long before the cries of "racism!" would be heard?
It's an old meme predating the Civil War in fact, Southern Whites have long been the butt end of jokes that allow certain groups feel superior.
Southern Whites are also the stronghold of conservatism, Christianity and a reverence for personal rights and liberty.

They walk a delicate balance in making these shows - they want them to appeal to a conservative audience while at the same time providing enough material for redneck jokes for those who have disdain for conservatives.

This is the updated version of Br'er Rabbit and Uncle Billy Possum for the 21st century.

Those in control want us all to be good little urbanites, dependent upon the system, loathing guns and hunting, scornful of religion, listening to crap modern music and watching crap tv. They want us to be good global citizens, with no moral center or loyalty to Country, community or family. Willing to accept change regardless of it's merit because if you don't then you are "clinging to old ways" , "anti-science" or worse yet "yearning for a return to the days of Jim Crow".
To say Southern whites are being stereotyped would be the understatement of the year.

Personal statement: The North may have won the Civil War but the South didn't lose. They simply ran out of men to die for their cause and country. The war could have gone on had they been willing to let women join the army but that would have been a gross violation of the things they fought for. Modern America? We stand on the brink of being willing to send women in to combat. Oh yeah, you've come a long way baby......welcome to progress.
(for those unfamiliar with the phrase "You've come a long way baby" - it was a jingle for a cigarette company urging women to smoke. The full lyric was "you've got your own cigarette now baby, you've come a long, long way".) If you weren't watching tv in 1969 you can watch the commercial here - archive.org...
edit on 26-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added link

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Mon1k3r

Thanks for that, buster. I love over the top. Over the top works.

Speaking of Buster, 30 years of Big Bang Theory sort of situational comedy is why these "redneck" shows are off the chart.

But let me ask before I go on what sort of chumps have these metro sexual types become for the industry tycoons?

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
If I could choose between the Robertsons or people like pajama boy for my neighbor ... yeah, the Robertsons win.

And I have never watched Duck Dynasty.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Despite what I think about the television and motion picture industries being tools, I think it would be a really cool job. Are you union?

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Logarock

But let me ask before I go on what sort of chumps have these metro sexual types become for the industry tycoons?

I'm not sure to what metrosexual types you refer. Are you talking about syndicated national news anchors, or generally anyone with sculpted eyebrows and an earring?

edit on 26-12-2013 by Mon1k3r because: dangling participle

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
that's what the communist party did to the ukranians. first, they characterized them as backwards and unsophisticated and then established a word to call them by, that was given a negative connotation.
nevermind that many of the people of the southern rural areas are electricians, mechanics, welders, roofers, plumbers. farmers, gardeners, and can repair every machine known to man and can put together working mechanical and electronic gadgets a''la macgiver, without having to read a manual first.
edit on 26-12-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Mon1k3r
reply to post by olaru12

Despite what I think about the television and motion picture industries being tools, I think it would be a really cool job. Are you union?

Yes, proud member of both SAG/AFTRA and IATSE. It's a great job! Besides working for other producers, I also have a small production co. making our own content for the www., TV and festival shorts.

I really don't know if the media is controlled as a social manipulation tool. I thinks it's more like a manufacturing plant turning out a product. I do know that the www. and technology has made visual media more accessible by the ordinary person than ever imaginable. A cheap camera and a laptop will put you out there with a potential audience of billions of people. Tell your story!!

www.celtx.com...

join us!

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
The only ones I have seen any bit of is Swamp People and Moonshiners, 5 minutes of Moonshiners was enough to not bother again. Anyway, was going to say, that since the Jerry Springer show closed, these people don't have anywhere else to exhibit their baseness.

I hope Turtleman isn't one of the shows you would put in this category? I like Tutrtleman, does that make me ....

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
OTOH,

then ya have "the real house wives" of NY or LA.

i never watch that reality stuff but i have heard about them.

didn't 2 of them go to jail for something?

and i don't mean 2 of the hillbillies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join