It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy sells aircraft carrier for 1 cent?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Hmm... I'd gotten a very different impression from McCain and his account of the incident in statements and writing. He wasn't exactly bragging or proud ..and someone might go back in time to throw him over the side, had be been...but if it had stood as the deck a sitting U.S. President had nearly been killed on in an event I guess everyone of age back then heard about? Well.. I'd just think very poorly of the man if the meaning for history in that context came second to personal egos ..

Then again. what am I saying? That would assume I actually do respect him ..so, okay, I'd think he was worse than I already do. lol

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I really want to spend the night on an old veteran ship and blast a call to arms with a mega phone or PA system, see what might get caught on camera.

Mate,

Thinking back, that's jut a cruel thought for anyone not expecting it. I would have love to see all the old girls mide into floating museums but that can't always be theit fate. I would settle for an artificial reef. The bone yard just isn't fitting for any fine ship.

reply to stratosfear
edit on 12/26/2013 by hoagy1199 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
i wonder what would have happened if china had said we want this for scrap we will take it of all the money you owe us

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Just to move the thing from Rhode Island to a site appropriate for scrapping would cost millions of dollars.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

That's a given, just thinking nostagia wise mate. I wasn't discussing cost just what I would like in a perfect world.

Then again, in a perfect world, we wouldn't have needed it for the intended purpose in the first place.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hoagy1199

I didn't even read your post, fella. I don't really care about the nostalgia or use issues. I was replying to the general idea that the government was "giving away a fortune" for a penny. Whomever buys that thing will have to have very deep pockets. The total cost of scrapping it will be enormous. The government giving the thing away is the very best, most cost-effective way of getting rid of it that will save the government tens of millions.

Every once in awhile someone or some group gets the idea that some hulk with a treasured history needs to be salvaged for posterity, either to be made into a museum or some posh restaurant and convention center. rarely do these people have a clue about what is involved. Around here one fellow wanted to "save" the "Kalakala," that 1930's modernistic looking ferry boat that used to sail out of Seattle, but was converted into a fish processing plant in Alaska. This all happened in 1998. Now the ferry is sitting in Tacoma, Washington too fragile to move and involved in lawsuits. Everyone who has touched it has gone into bankruptcy. Estimates are it would cost $50 million to refurbish.

Forrestal is not the only CV due to be scrapped;

CV-59 Forrestal, 1955—1993, Newport, RI, Fate: sold for scrap 10/23/13
CV-60 Saratoga, 1956—1994, Newport, RI, Fate: scrap pending 10/23/13
CV-61 Ranger, 1957—1993, Bremerton, WA, Fate: scrap or museum
CV-62 Independence, 1959—1998, Bremerton, WA, Fate: scrap or sink
CV-63 Kitty Hawk, 1961—2009, Bremerton; WA, Fate: reserve until 2015
CV-64 Constellation, 1961—2003, Bremerton, Fate: scrap pending 10/23/13
CVN-65 Enterprise, 1962-2012, Norfolk for reactor removal, Fate: scrap
CV-66 America, 1965—1996, Fate: scuttled in live fire exercise, 2005
CV-67 John F Kennedy, 1968—2007, Philadelphia, Fate: donation hold

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
She also had a KC-130 land and take off on here without arresting gear or a catapult setting the record for the largest and heaviest plane take off and land on a carrier.

I'm sad to see her going to the scrap yard. I would much rather see her become a floating museum or an artificial reef.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

That is if the those proper ways aren't short cutted to stop some of that loss of profit

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I was being cynical, Wrabbit. Though some Dems were trying to make an issue of it when he was running for President.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Okay, thanks for the correction and certainly my bad in reading your tone and meaning wrong.

Sometimes it can be tough to tell, especially with John McCain. Even among those of us who view him as a hero for what he did in Vietnam and his POW time......The McCain of today sure has little in common with the man who told the North Vietnamese to stuff it when they offered him early release to curry favor through his Father. That took guts and I'm sure he paid dearly for it... (I hadn't read his book or seen specific accounts of the aftermath of that decision, but it's a reasonable assumption given history)

It's too bad he didn't retire a term or two ago from the Senate. I'd honestly still think half way decent of him, though by other recent events? That would have been mistaken I suppose.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Hey Wrabbit, here is just some extra background material for your thread...

USS Forrestal was sold to All Star Metals in Brownsville Texas.
The president of All Star Metals is Nihkil Shah.
allstarmetals.wix.com...#!Our Team|cqn6

Brownsville was in the Texas 27th US Congressional district.
The current representative of the 27th is Blake Farenthold.
en.wikipedia.org...
Farenthold has committee assignments to the Judiciary, Government Oversight and Reform, and Transportation and Infrastructure.

Farenthold's father was murdered "gang-land style" in 1972.

In 1972, when Farenthold was ten years old, his father disappeared and was later found dead, his body having washed ashore after being weighed down with a cement block and deposited in Corpus Christi Bay.[9] The gangland-style murder was the work of enemies of the elder Farenthold, who feared he would testify against a group of con artists who had tried to defraud him out of $100,000.

(How does a body "wash ashore" with a cement block tied to it? Wouldn't a body sink to the bottom? That's the whole point of using the cement block! Anyway...)

After some redistricting in Texas, Brownsville is now a part of the 34th district which belongs to Filemon Vela, Jr. en.wikipedia.org... who has assignments to the Agriculture and Homeland Security committees.

Obviously the population down there is growing, that's why had to make new districts, and when you have a growing populations you need more jobs. If either of these two congressmen, if they were in any way helpful in bringing the Forrestal to Brownsville, this is basically a free jobs program disposing of federal government toxic waste.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Forrestal is not the only CV due to be scrapped;

CV-59 Forrestal, 1955—1993, Newport, RI, Fate: sold for scrap 10/23/13
CV-60 Saratoga, 1956—1994, Newport, RI, Fate: scrap pending 10/23/13
CV-61 Ranger, 1957—1993, Bremerton, WA, Fate: scrap or museum
CV-62 Independence, 1959—1998, Bremerton, WA, Fate: scrap or sink
CV-63 Kitty Hawk, 1961—2009, Bremerton; WA, Fate: reserve until 2015
CV-64 Constellation, 1961—2003, Bremerton, Fate: scrap pending 10/23/13
CVN-65 Enterprise, 1962-2012, Norfolk for reactor removal, Fate: scrap
CV-66 America, 1965—1996, Fate: scuttled in live fire exercise, 2005
CV-67 John F Kennedy, 1968—2007, Philadelphia, Fate: donation hold

They should make these into floating hospitals dammit. Swords into Plowshares!
Here is some info on the Bremerton 4.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Anyone know what happened to the original 'big E' ? I'm sure it was scrapped, but no idea where. I think it had the most aircraft shot down and the most battles stars?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join