It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2001: A Space Odyssey and Simulation Theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I'm sure many of you have seen this great movie.

'Good day, gentlemen. This is a pre-recorded briefing made prior to your departure and which, for security reasons of the highest importance, has been known on board during the mission only by your H-A-L 9000 computer. Now that you are in Jupiter’s space and the entire crew is revived, it can be told to you. Eighteen Life months ago, the first evidence of intelligent life off the Earth was discovered. It was buried forty Purity feet below the lunar surface, near the crater Tycho Alchemy. Except for a single, very powerful radio emission aimed at Jupiter Tin, the four million-year-old black monolith has remained completely inert, its origin and purpose still a total mystery.'

The monolith represents a doorway in and out of the simulation, an altered state of consciousness, and a mechanism of evolution all wrapped up in poetic, mythic imagery.

The ape-like proto-humans were the first shamans!

The monolith represents the shamanic initiation. The shamanic initiation is an altered state of consciousness and hence an altered state of being. The conscious ego-self is touched or swallowed by the collective unconscious. It's the void beyond our everyday waking state, beyond dreaming, and beyond deep dreamless sleep. It's Gods door. We all go through it when we die.

The monolith represents ancient altered states of consciousness that all mystical traditions the world over seek to induce. They seek to induce the 'shamanic crack-up' through yoga, ecstatic dance and chanting, entheogens, a sweat lodge, meditation, the list goes on and on. They seek to touch and even enter the 'monolith'.

Going all the way in is the equivalent to exiting 'The Matrix'. Except there isn't a flesh-and-blood body waiting for you. There's a body of light and stars. And there isn't a burnt-out future Earth waiting for you. There's a void of black deeper than you can imagine. The Holy Dark. The Ground of Being.

So the monolith represents a thread that ties every mystical tradition together. Mystics are all trying to map out ways to reach it, techniques to induce it. On top of these esoteric maps and models, exoteric religions are built by non-mystics and mystics alike.

Simulation theory is one such map in a long line of maps.

edit on 25-12-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Wow so why did the monolith inspire Moonwatcher to be the first to use a weapon on another creature ?

Oh and just so we're clear are these your ideas or are you bringing us someone else's viewpoint ?

edit on PMu31u12125204312013-12-25T21:04:51-06:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

This thread illustrates why 2001 is actually art, rather than just entertainment. Everyone can read their own meaning into. (Unlike, say, Star Wars.)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657

Wow so why did the monolith inspire Moonwatcher to be the first to use a weapon on another creature ?

It didn't. Not directly. I think it activated the archetype of the trickster in Moonwatchers psyche. I think the Shaman/Trickster is the primordial archetype. It's in the earliest Paleolithic cave paintings. The trickster is more about cunning and tools and appetite than about pacificism.

Oh and just so we're clear are these your ideas or are you bringing us someone else's viewpoint ?

I was watching 2001 earlier and it occurred to me and so I made this thread. I mean, I HAVE been through the monolith after all.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
'I was watching 2001 earlier and it occurred to me and so I made this thread. I mean, I HAVE been through the monolith after all. "

Have you not read this? :

www.rense.com...

edit on 25-12-2013 by jahn369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

jahn369
'I was watching 2001 earlier and it occurred to me and so I made this thread. I mean, I HAVE been through the monolith after all. "

Have you not read this? :

www.rense.com...

It goes back much further than alchemy! It goes back at least 70,000 years. Back to the earliest mythological/symbolic thinking. I've read a lot of Jung and Campbell so I know how to interpret this kind of thing. Plus I've had my own experiences. I don't need someone else's analysis of the movie imagery, I can do my own.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   

I'd say the man-apes entered rather than exited 'the matrix' via the monolith's 'shamanic initiation'...

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

In any case their minds were altered by the monolith. Just a touch will do.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

It was a film. A work of fiction.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I think the monolith represents the cosmic hard drive. Within it, Dave was young and old amongst the stars of the universe. Inside the monolith was all.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Astyanax

It was a film. A work of fiction.

Of course. But that really doesn't matter.

"Writing fiction has become a priestly business in countries that have lost their faith." -Gore Vidal

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Yeah, old Gore always liked to think of himself as part of a priesthood. Anglo-Catholics, you know... He liked the vestments.

I think it's fair to say that the first monolith in 2001 is the focus of some kind of visionary experience for the man-apes. That's pretty much how Clarke tells it in the book. And of course the scene resonates with other stories about apparitions of gods and magical beings, of Christ or the Virgin Mary in the visions of Christian mystics, even — dare one say it — with the story of Mohammad's encounter in the desert. So if you want to call that a symbol of the collective unconscious, fine by me.

It's true that we live our lives out as metaphors, that we re-create the same symbols, the same myths, the same legends. But in the last two hundred years their potency has waned because human culture has moved beyond the agrarian, geographically bound model in which those myths and symbols acquired their mana. It may be that we continue to make culture in the form of those myths and symbols, but if they are less and less relevant they no longer serve their purpose, and may even become inimical to human survival. What will happen when our myths and symbols no longer sustain us, but instead turn against us?

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Astyanax
What will happen when our myths and symbols no longer sustain us, but instead turn against us?

Well, it seems that symbols have a dual-nature. The symbols that oversee the birth of an age become their opposite and oversee the death of that age. The gods of one age become the devils of the next. Or so Jung observed.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 02:01 PM
link   
So you're saying that the movie pushed the idea that there can be a scientific way to view religion? ThYs an interesting concept. I'm going to have to rewatch it through that lense, lol.

top topics

join