It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPS Ruins Christmas For Many

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

FissionSurplus
*YAWN*

Yawning in someones face is rude. Grow up.

thread derailers such as yourself would stop stating it's all about Jesus' birthday.

It's not derailing a thread to say that if a persons Christmas (or hanukkah) is 'ruined' because a gift comes one day late, then they are absurdly spoiled. It's part of the discussion. It doesn't agree with your position so you call it 'derailing' ... which is absurd.

It's about a company who failed to keep promises they charged people good money for.

What part of ... unexpected surge in orders and ice storms across the country ... don't you get?
Unexpected things happen. Adapt and be flexible. it's not the end of the world. And the company has already said they will be reimbursing people for their shipping charges so no customer lost money. In fact, they are getting free shipping.

So HOLIDAY CELEBRATIONS were ruined, yes.

Getting a gift one day late 'ruins the holiday''?? Really? It's all about getting something on that day. That's it? My god that's shallow. Considering the focus of the Christmas or Hanukkah holiday is supposed to be a religious and family one ... then maybe it's a good thing those people didn't get their material goods on time. It'll give them time to reflect on the holiday and not the materialism.

Feel better now?

Don't be silly. I wasn't 'feeling bad' before.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Destinyone
IIRC Jesus had a pretty nasty attitude against the corporate type mentality.

- And materialism.
- And people being selfish.
- And the 'money changers' in the temple
- And people being ungrateful.

And I don't think he had a clue his birthday would become a national holiday. So we haven't a clue what he would do.

Do you really think he'd be happy about people complaining about not getting a gift on Wednesday, but instead getting it Thursday ....

people instantly being able to voice their anger over being *ripped off*.

UPS has already said they will be giving people their money back for shipping.
So folks actually will be getting free shipping this year. They saved money.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Flyers. You are behind the curve on this one. Yesterday I was on the UPS FB pg...they stated at that time, they would not be refunding squat. That people should have read the fine print on their refund policy.

The ONLY reason they are singing a different tune today, is due to people standing up for their rights as paying customers of a service sold under false pretenses. UPS is getting bad publicity. Period!

It's about time people made these greedy corporations abide by their own terms of selling a service. They oversold and knew it. They just assumed people are so apathetic they would get over it...like you are suggesting.

NO, it's damn time people hold the corporate feet to the fire.

The rest of your holier than thou stuff doesn't resonate with me.

Des

edit on 26-12-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Any company that blames the customer will end up being out of business eventually. They may think they're "too big to fail", but in reality, their failure may be too big for them to overcome. This is exactly the type of event which will galvanize people who have had bad experiences with UPS to come out of the woodwork and share their stories. If enough people tell companies that they will not purchase from them if UPS is the carrier, then it's going to ruin this company.

It can either be their Waterloo, or a lesson to learn from. So far, they're acting like Napoleon.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Double YAWN.

Being a grown up on ATS means that you don't let your ego overrule your common sense when it comes to posting. It means that, if you have nothing more to add, it's best to pack it up and move on.

Yawning in your face? Not at all. Just at your bombastic posting, beating a dead horse in order to make a dead point.

I told you I'd remove the "Christmas" word if I could, since that is what your entire argument hangs on. You also make a lot of assumptions.....that people are upset because stuff is only "one day late". Try WEEKS, in some cases. It is these assumptions, which not only UPS is making, but also a bunch of idiot pundits on the news (corporate shills), which places the blame for the entire debacle on the customer.

As far as weather, what part of the stories in which the United States Postal Service delivered ON TIME, even in nasty weather, did you not get? They're not magic...they planned accordingly and were successful. It's called corporate responsibility, something which has become a rarity in the world of American commerce today.

I would suggest, Flyers, that if you have an issue with materialism and Christmas, to PLEASE post your own thread in the religion forum and blast away. All you want to do here is argue, and all your arguments are invalid. I'm getting quite bored with it.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

No, it isn't part of the discussion. The discussion is, "UPS failed to deliver on their commitments".

Part of those commitments were perishable items, namely the OP's commitment. You are just wanting to get onto a CHristian soapbox and decry all the materialistic heathens for not giving your Savior his just desserts on what amounts to a made up birthday in memorium of a pagan holiday. It all really is funny, now isn't it?

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Stick to the topic

And stop sniping at each other.

This friendly neighbourhood warning was bought to you by the letters T & C

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Somewhere in that group of dissatisfied customers were parents who were desperately trying to figure out how to tell their children why Santa didn't make it to their house Christmas eve. While I will readily agree that Christmas has become way too materialistic that has no bearing on this issue at hand.

Shipping costs being what they are this amounts to a huge rip off of many customers. Even small packages will run $30+ for 2 day or overnight shipping. People are spending money they don't have in many instances just trying to ensure their gifts arrived on time.

It's their job to understand all the issues relating to timely delivery and one trend that crept up on them is that more and more things are ordered from central warehouses rather than being kept in stores on display.

I just hope the number of parents who had to make excuses to their kids was as few as possible. Not everyone can order whenever they want and must wait until they have sufficient funds in the bank.

In the end it's still the fault of UPS regardless and they should refund any extra fees charged. If UPS is responding by blaming anyone but themselves then they should replace upper management who made that call.
edit on 26-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Well articulated. I guess this should be a lesson to use more stores for layaway next year!
I think the JOY of finding the right gift is disappearing too. People flock to stores for the sales RUSH, people forget the true feeling of giving. Long gone are the days when you would see people Caroling or Santa and his elves. I don't know maybe I have watched too many Mickey Mouse Christmas specials or something. What I do think is though, it is time for people to get back into their grass roots and meet up with local businesses more.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Want to hear something funny ATA....I heard tonight on Fox News, one of the talking heads chiding people for not printing out pics of gifts they ordered, to put under the tree. So people could at least see what they should have received for Christmas, if people thought their presents were not going to make it on time. WTF?

I guess people would have had that option if UPS had told them their GUARANTEED shipping dates, for exorbitant fees, was not really guaranteed...just kinda guaranteed. That was one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a long time.

Also, in the same news segment, it now appears Kohl's and Walmart are offering people who ordered online from them with the same guarantees, that were not met, Gift Cards and shipping refunds. The ripples in this shipping debacle pond are not over yet. Major companies are in full press damage control.

These other companies, like Amazon, Kohl's and Walmart, stepping up to the plate, are making stubborn UPS look pretty shallow. I know where my consumer dollars in the future will be spent. UPS will not get one red cent.

Des

edit on 26-12-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I ordered a printer for Christmas.
It still hasn't arrived.

All jokes aside I have had nothing but excellent service from UPS.
Everyone I met who worked for them was intelligent, friendly and hustled.
It wouldn't be much of a shock to discover upper management didn't rise up from the ranks of delivery drivers.
edit on 26-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

A lot of my vendors I order from, have no other shipping option than UPS. I love my UPS driver, he is always friendly, and cute in the summertime in those brown shorts. He pets my goats, gives a dog cookie to all the dogs that are around.

A great all around guy. I'm sure upper management could learn a lot from him about customer service.

Des

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Yeah. Our UPS delivery guy at work and at home is pretty solid. The FedEx folks are pretty grimey, though. Regardless, I chat them all up when they come in.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Ah yeah. Our UPS driver is an old-timer, who know all the people and all the hidden farm houses around here. Like I said, I'm gonna miss him. UPS's behavior on their FB page, calling out the troops to flood their page with a bunch of accusations that it is the customer's fault for ordering too late, or that we're all materialistic creeps who fail to understand that "Jesus is the reason for the season" and receiving presents on time has nothing to do with the holiday, etc.....is what has completely turned me off to their company.

Because I have a choice in carriers, I choose NOT to use UPS ever again. This is one company who is doing everything in their power not to man up and accept their part in this mess. Unacceptable.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Mister_Bit

I and most of my friends are couriers and we work 15 hours+ shifts, with no break, non stop, daily to deliver your crap.

I am a courier here in Australia. You obviously didnt read Fissionsurplus OP or the Ops further clarifications or failed to see the issue here. Your employer charges a higher rate with a guarantee (worthless) for expedited shippinhg. Did you get a higher rate of pay for the xpress air freight as opposed to the road freight> Nah didnt think so.
A service is a service. You worked 15 hour days perhaps because you dont have a strong union and I would question the safety of other road users when you are doing those kinds of shifts. You eloquently call the goods "crap" I'll kindly remind you that crap is someones hard earned dollars. If its materialism over the xmas season that bothers you that bothers you then go work in a hospital in a trauma unit.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
If you base your reputation on a guarantee and that guarantee fails...

Guaranteed next day delivery or guaranteed delivery by XYZ, accept the money, fail to deliver, that's a breech of contract, implied or otherwise, unless of course the small print dictates otherwise.

Fast parcels is a business entirely weighted to support the carrier, not the customer and certainly not any meaningful controls at entry or exit of borders.

Where it does support the system is with the likes of track and trace as per the printer cartridges that were being utilised by terrorists as a cover load.

Better to post early for Christmas as the US Post and Royal Mail state. Not sure we will have Royal Mail next year though?!

Did you really believe that a multi-national would have its customers best interests at heart? Once they have your remittance, well the rest is history.

UPS problems seem to be based around the incompetence of their management in failing to ensure sufficient assets at the busiest time of the year. Wow, didn't see that coming, perhaps these Japanese manufacturing based theories don't actually work? Let's see, Toyota, Fukushima...

Common sense should prevail over Common Purpose.

Dear UPS, a tip for next Christmas, in plenty of time, ditch the current "management", prepare in advance, invest a wee bit of your mega profit, wherever it lies for tax purposes, hire some short term employees and rent a few vehicles, buy some vehicle wraps, get ready for the rush...

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Destinyone
reply to post by signalfire

Corporate greed, with no thought to the consumers of their services. I guess since we all let our own President get away with lying to us, it's now OK for UPS to do it too. This is called rampant apathy Singnals. The very thing that I've seen you post against in the past, you give a hall pass to now. Why is that?

Des
edit on 25-12-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

I don't know how the PRESIDENT got involved with this... and apathy (!?!) has nothing to do with it. It's a business and an amazingly well-run one, given the massive logistics involved.

UPS has a standard order form, pay a bit extra for 'guaranteed delivery'. I don't know if they adjust it for weather conditions in any given part of the world, or whether a certain package is going to go through a bad weather event on its way to its destination, but I imagine the logistics of THAT would be impossible. We're talking millions of packages a day, all going through some of the busiest airports in the world. Things happen... I also believe that they will refund the extra charges if the 'guaranteed' date is not accommodated.

I don't see what more they could do, except perhaps set up an email alerting system if delivery dates are not going to be adhered to. As far as 'in time for Christmas' goes, I don't do Christmas and therefore trying to get something delivered during the biggest smash-up time of the year isn't an issue for me. It's called being realistic.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I don't see what more they could do, except perhaps set up an email alerting system if delivery dates are not going to be adhered to.

How about, if they don't meet their delivery date, they refund the special delivery fee. Seems fair. But they won't!

P

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

pheonix358

I don't see what more they could do, except perhaps set up an email alerting system if delivery dates are not going to be adhered to.

How about, if they don't meet their delivery date, they refund the special delivery fee. Seems fair. But they won't!

P

Have you asked them about that? Or is everyone just on here complaining uselessly? And maybe they'll forward the package to the intended Christmas recipient, if the delivery date wasn't met and it was supposed to be given out at a family gathering.

I dunno, I haven't had the problem, ever; and I wouldn't sweat it if I had. It's rarely this earth-shattering an issue... 1/3 of the earth's population went to sleep last night, every night, hungry and some spoiled consumer junkies are whining about the timing of their fruitcake and overpriced scarves' packages.

Medicine is one thing but the rest? Wow.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Apathy comes into it when people allow mega corporations to not follow through on what they guarantee they can do, and charge extra for it. The apathy of a conquered people who make excuses for corporations....such as what you are doing now. The apathy of a conquered people comes into play whether it's making excuses for corporations or for our rogue and moronic government.

You can continue to use UPS if you choose to. I'm sure they'll appreciate the strange corporate loyalty considering their massive screw up this year.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join