It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPS Ruins Christmas For Many

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

UPS knew days in advance their system couldn't handle the traffic, yet continued to charge extremely high shipping rates to people, telling them their shipments would make it on time.

UPS fails to deliver thousands of packages in time for Christmas Day

The United Parcel Service admitted Wednesday that it would be unable to deliver Christmas packages to thousands of customers across the country on time this year.

Citing a massive backlog, the world’s largest parcel service simply could not make shipments on time, spokeswoman Natalie Black told CNN.

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

The news stories are piling up faster than the packages on UPS warehouse floors...

Thousands of customers nationwide face Christmas disappointment after overwhelmed UPS fails to deliver in time for the holiday

The Atlanta-based delivery service had unexpectedly high demand for last-minute air delivery services
Backlogs occurred in all zip codes and customer across America failed to receive goods by Christmas Eve as was promised
The company said workers are sorting packages through Christmas day to ensure delivery by the end of the week
Livid costumers have flocked to Facebook to vent their frustrations over missing Christmas presents that are as much as WEEKS overdue
One Texas family even complained UPS had them nervously awaiting their 14-year-old son's medicine he requires in order to ea

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... zz2oXWDyuvi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Corporate greed, with no thought to the consumers of their services. I guess since we all let our own President get away with lying to us, it's now OK for UPS to do it too. This is called rampant apathy Singnals. The very thing that I've seen you post against in the past, you give a hall pass to now. Why is that?

Des
edit on 25-12-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
i had a last minute shirt delivery that came in via FedEx, right on time.

I was in Abilene yesterday and saw the UPS truck out delivering at 9pm. I commented to my wife, "Damn, they're out late" and went on about my business of driving back home (we live a couple hours from Abilene).

Now I see why. Thank God Customink used FedEx instead of UPS.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

rickymouse
The amount of online shoppers increased a lot this year. UPS is only so big, they can't handle the extra load when they weren't expecting that big of an increase. The brick and mortar stores got a big decrease in sales this year.

I wouldn't count on any company to deliver a package in a couple of days under these circumstances. The company cannot expand that much to handle the load without raising prices considerably. Order a week earlier instead of so close to christmas.

So placing an order two weeks before Christmas is "too close"? The company chose to ship at a date they were comfortable with, that this refrigerated (on ice) item would get there by the 23rd. How smart would it be for a company to send an edible item, on ice, two weeks prior, when the requested date was the 23rd?

Do you have a viable citable source for saying that the amount of online shoppers increased a lot this year, so that's why UPS is so screwed up? Or do you just take the corporate mouthpiece's word for it? If they could not handle the extra packages, they should have either refused to provide the service, or explained that it is a good possibility, due to the volume, that things would not arrive in a timely manner. Neither of which they did. They took the money that people paid them in good faith, and then let the disaster occur.

So far, all I'm seeing is people saying that it's okay for a company to screw up massively like this, not issue any refunds, and continue to give lame excuses. Wow. I knew that America was basically run by corporations, but this is beginning to look more like Stockholm Syndrome than a true capitalistic system. I tend to agree with you as a rule, Ricky, but this time, you didn't read the posts prior to posting and it just comes off as another "it's the victim's fault" post.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

UPS are the professionals providing a service, with guarantees. No. No excuses. Period. I don't care how much online shopping increased. If they are unable to provide their service as guaranteed, then they need to not make that guarantee.

I am 100% with you here, FS. I rarely accept excuses from anyone. Even more rarely do i accept them from a business.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Corporate greed, with no thought to the consumers of their services. I guess since we all let our own President get away with lying to us, it's now OK for UPS to do it too. This is called rampant apathy Singnals. The very thing that I've seen you post against in the past, you give a hall pass to now. Why is that?
reply to post by Destinyone

Good question, Des. If an individual lies and doesn't come through, they're hung by their toenails. If a business of a politician does it, oh well, it's all cool, we cannot expect too much from people we pay to handle our business.

PURE BULL MANURE! We give hall passes to way too many businesses, banks and paid civil servants. I for one am sick of it.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

rickymouse
The amount of online shoppers increased a lot this year. UPS is only so big, they can't handle the extra load when they weren't expecting that big of an increase. The brick and mortar stores got a big decrease in sales this year.

I wouldn't count on any company to deliver a package in a couple of days under these circumstances. The company cannot expand that much to handle the load without raising prices considerably. Order a week earlier instead of so close to christmas.

Have you ever used UPS for shipping? Their rates are NOT cheap by any means. But, as it's the only method a lot of online places give you for shipping, you are stuck using them. Some of my vendors only use UPS...do you know that a 2 day shipment rate for me, for a 30 lb package from west coast to east coast runs approx $300.00? Do you know how many people in desperation pay those ridiculous UPS prices?

They can more than afford to pay for corporate to track buying trends, and plan accordingly.

But I guess they have to keep poor poor Chairman/CEO Scott Davis of UPS in mind...wouldn't want his bennies to drop....

UPS chairman's total compensation rises to $13.1M
UPS Chairman and CEO Scott Davis
Enlarge

UPS Chairman and CEO Scott Davis

United Parcel Service Inc. in 2011 delivered a total compensation package to Chairman and CEO Scott Davis that was about 22 percent higher than in 2010.

In a proxy filing Monday with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the package shipper and logistics company said Davis’ total compensation rose to nearly $13.1 million last year, as its profit was up 14 percent to $3.8 billion.

The total compensation included a $1 million salary (flat), $9.5 million in stock awards (up 22 percent), $450,807 in option awards (up 3 percent), $566,966 in non-equity incentive plan compensation (up 144 percent) and $1.5 million for change in pension value (up 25 percent). Davis also got $40,732 in other compensation, including a 401 (k) match of $6.125, $7,705 in life insurance, a $5,394 pension benefit, $14,885 for financial planning and $6,623 in health-care benefits.
www.bizjournals.com...

This makes me mad as hell. Lame excuses and lies to get out of fulfilling a contract they made with customers, by TAKING THEIR MONEY with a guarantee of shipping and delivery dates. If my business did this to people, I'd be out of business soon enough. Guess UPS is another story of a corporation too big to fall. And we let them get away with it with our failure to hold them accountable. Try telling the IRS oops and see if they give you a hall pass when it comes to paying a fine for not buying Obamacare.

Sheesh folks....

Des

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

UPS are the professionals providing a service, with guarantees. No. No excuses. Period. I don't care how much online shopping increased. If they are unable to provide their service as guaranteed, then they need to not make that guarantee.

I am 100% with you here, FS. I rarely accept excuses from anyone. Even more rarely do i accept them from a business.

Very well said, Furry! No matter what the size of the business, or what they do, their word is their bond. It is the fault of the people in charge of the logistics of UPS. They had a calendar, they could see that Thanksgiving was a little late this year (one of their excuses). They also can use the weather channel to see what's coming their way (excuse #2, which doesn't fly because USPS got my stuff to other states in plenty of time), and they could see that the volume of the shipping due to online purchases was higher than last year (excuse #3, like they couldn't see it happening until it was too late).

Because they have issued guarantees, now unhappy customers are going to be demanding their money back. Lesson here: UPS should never have written a check that their ass couldn't cash. Period.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I have a:

1. Mother-n-Law in California
2. Daughter in Colorado
3. Wife (at home with me) in Texas
3. Step-Daughter in California

MOST continue to have
issues with Shipping and/or Receiving .. (UPS-Only).

Colorado-Example ( 2 weeks ago ): Order Steam-Cleaner; 1.5 WEEKs later, REPLACEMENT-ORDER and it arrived the next day ... ( so what happened to the 1st order??? ... anybody's guess ).

Next time YOU talk to YOUR Friends, Family and Neighbors ... ASK if they have any 1st-Hand Knowledge of (Near-Past and/or Present) "UPS-Issues" .

-
Summary: Suspicion of something(s) MORE is going on at U.P.S. ... ( than is being reported ).

edit on 25-12-2013 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FarleyWayne

I have visions of a new division of NSA sorting through mountains of *lost* packages in huge ware houses in the middle of Utah......

I wonder which agent got that package of expensive underwear my Daughter sent, I never got.....

Des

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

That's a hell of a lot of money for a CEO to make. Wonder what his compensation package is going to be for this year's debacle? I'll bet it'll be about the same.

$300 for a 30 lb package to go from one coast to the other?? That's $10 a pound, holy cheese whiz!!! At those rates, they certainly are raking in the money.

I, for one, when I order in the future, will make a special request to NOT use UPS. Some delays do happen during this time of year, but at this level and so many people affected?? The only way as a consumer to show our displeasure is to vote with our wallets.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Farley, that's exactly why I started this thread.....because I wanted to see if people had issues with them, as it seems to be nation wide. Something is fishy about this....when the US postal service out-performs UPS, either it's a sign of the apocalypse, or something is very wrong at United Parcel Service.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Destinyone

I have visions of a new division of NSA sorting through mountains of *lost* packages in huge ware houses in the middle of Utah......

I wonder which agent got that package of expensive underwear my Daughter sent, I never got.....

Des

LMAO!!! Perhaps that's it....the NSA has to check all our packages, for God knows what...?

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

FissionSurplus

Destinyone

Des

LMAO!!! Perhaps that's it....the NSA has to check all our packages, for God knows what...?

I would be very interested in seeing how many people who didn't get packages on time, were getting pressure cookers, and other appliances, that now put us in the category of being a terrorist. LOL

Des

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I would NEVER have made a "GUESS" that Physical-Packages MIGHT need ... "ENCRYPTION" ???

-
Summary/Disclosure: This calls for a ... "NEW PROJECT !!!"

edit on 25-12-2013 by FarleyWayne because: ... HEE HEE HA HA ... How FUN it is to LAUGH ... ( or NOT "Made in Fukishima" ) ???

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

FarleyWayne

I would NEVER have made a "GUESS" that Physical-Packages MIGHT need ... "ENCRYPTION" ???

-

edit on 25-12-2013 by FarleyWayne because: ... HEE HEE HA HA ... How FUN it is to LAUGH ???

Hell, UPS doesn't even know where a lot of the packages are at!

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I ordered Saturday Morning from Amazon, I was honestly skeptical at the "Guaranteed 1 day shipping" though I went for it anyways, never have been failed before. (Though, I have only ever used fedex)

It shipped UPS, I didn't receive it. Unfortunately, the people whose gifts they are, happen to be leaving for home (California) early tomorrow morning. So I will be having to ship the package across the country now, after paying extremely unreasonable prices for 1 day guaranteed shipping, when I could have got it shipped 2-day for free.

Yes, I can understand some people who didn't order anything, and how they think "Oh, you shouldn't have waited until the last second, nananana," but false advertising is false advertising. UPS and Amazon made a guarantee that they couldn't and didn't fulfill. I'm not asking for your apathy or sympathy, I want my money back. lol

Peace.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by QUANTUMGR4V17Y

Exactly, Quantum. You got it right. A business has no right to offer a service that they know darned well they cannot provide....and then have the cojones to charge up the wazoo for it too!!! That is false advertising and FRAUD. As for me, I will make it a point to never use UPS again. Something is screwed up at that place. Watch as more stories come out about this.

UPS, on their FB page, is doing excessive damage control, by flooding the boards with people who are blaming the victims and not the company, and also by saying things like, "how sad that you're so materialistic...it's jesus's birthday, after all blah blah blah". Well, Skippy, I'm being charged for something VERY materialistic, am I not? With a guaranteed delivery date? And the CEO of UPS got $13.1 million dollars in compensation last year for being just such a super guy. Guess he's way materialistic, too.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

FarleyWayne

-

edit on 25-12-2013 by FarleyWayne because: ... HEE HEE HA HA ... How FUN it is to LAUGH ... ( or NOT "Made in Fukishima" ) ???

You are going to be a very rich man someday, Farley. I can see it now...UPS charging extra for package encryption chips slapped on the boxes...

Their new *Stealth Package* shipping service with hefty fee for it...

Bwahahahhahahahhahaha.....

Des

edit on 25-12-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I know I don't live in your part of the country, but *knock on wood* I almost always have good luck with UPS.
I ordered two packages on the same day, one arrived a day early, the other on the day promised.

I'm wondering if the temporary help is the problem...new help not up to normal UPS standards?

Also, again not in your part of the country, but there was heavy rain, HEAVY ice, tornadoes and snow in the eastern part of the country over the weekend.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

And you know what? I sort of anticipated this happening when the media was pushing people away from the US Postal Service the entire past year. I knew there was no way these other delivery services could anticipate, nor deal with, the flood of people that have literally abandoned the US Post office.

Used to be, millions would gather their packages and rush to the post office a week or two before Christmas to make sure their packages got to their destinations on time.

After the media continuously berated the postal service, it is no surprise most have abandoned it, even though they offer competitive flat rates for boxes, letters, etc., and will even come to your house for pick up. They are trying to run the USPO out of business and promoting UPS and FedEx.

Unfortunately, they don't have the man power, air power, and over the road power to handle the load that was thrust upon them. UPS, especially.

You can also partly blame some of the last minute shoppers that stay out of the malls and cyber shop now. The load was probably insane. With the convenience of online shopping and the promise of near instant delivery, the temptation to wait till the last minute is even higher with those personality types.

Not speaking about anyone in this thread, because I don't know, but in generalities, like the people you see that just start their shopping on Christmas Eve.

Those are the types who get online and with a couple of clicks, expect that instant service. Not shocked at all it messed up like it did.

I did last minute shopping at Walmart online, and got free shipping, no guarantee of delievery by Christmas, in fact it said it would not arrive before Thursday, which was fine. I bought because shipping was free, and it was something I needed.

One part arrived Christmas Eve Day. I was fine with that, too. A bit surprised, though.

Support your local postal service, remember this next year, and ship two weeks early and be sure it gets there. Paying insane amounts for two day ,next day, or same day delivery is a rip off, and you could have had a nice bottle of wine and relaxed knowing your gift made it's destination on time, and still had money for a nice lunch out!

edit on 25-12-2013 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join