It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPS Ruins Christmas For Many

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
UPS apparently has had some kind of a logistical melt-down and has failed to deliver packages on time to thousands of customers. Lots of people who sent packages with a guaranteed delivery date of before Christmas found out that their packages didn't arrive on time, and lots of parents who purchased toys online did not have those toys under the tree in time for today's festivities.

Thousands of Americans awoke this morning to a somewhat diminished Christmas, thanks to an epic fail by package handler UPS, which announced yesterday that – oops! — some packages slated for December 24 delivery would not be arriving until after the holiday. Sorry ‘bout that.

While the delivery of gifts may not be the essence of Christmas, it is the essence of the package delivery business – especially a business like UPS that has relentlessly touted its expertise in logistics – see this 2010 ad (entitled “we [heart] logistics”) in which the classic “That’s Amore” has been rewritten, “That’s Logistics.”

Yet, UPS failed logistics – miserably — offering up the measly explanation, “demand was higher than forecast.” Isn’t getting this right on arguably the most important deadline of the year pretty much the essence of logistics?

UPS also seems to have failed communications. Not only did (justifiable) anxiety about delivery failure leave frustrated customers howling in vain at UPS service centers throughout the country, but many customers tracking their packages on UPS (I was one of them) expected on-time delivery, and didn’t find out until the end of the day their package wasn’t going to make it.

www.forbes.com...

UPS said, over and over again, that the demand was higher than their ability to deliver in a timely manner. I'm having a hard time understanding how they can claim that the shorter time frame between Thanksgiving and Christmas (um, okay a few days at the most), and the ice storm in the Dallas area of Texas, which occurred a few weeks ago, has somehow equated into a disaster of epic proportions.

Santa wasn't the only one racing against the clock to get packages to homes Tuesday night. UPS was too.

But the company's backlog left some Americans with gifts missing from under the Christmas tree Wednesday morning.

"We're terribly sorry," spokeswoman Natalie Black told CNN.

In a statement, the company explained that "the volume of air packages in our system exceeded the capacity of our network immediately preceding Christmas so some shipments were delayed."

"We know how hard it is for everyone to receive their holiday packages, and we're working around the clock to resolve this issue," Black said.

Um....okay. They're sorry. That makes it all better, that people who paid for guaranteed overnight or 2 day delivery got ripped off.

Asked why the company underestimated the volume of air packages it would receive, Black noted that previous severe weather in the Dallas area had already created a backlog. Then came "excess holiday volume" during a compressed time frame, since the period between Thanksgiving and Christmas was shorter than usual this year.

Add to that the consumer trend of doing more shopping online, she said.

"All of this culminated to become the perfect storm, so to speak."

www.cnn.com...

Everybody I have spoken to knows at least somebody who sent a package via UPS who was screwed over, including myself. I paid for a package to have a guaranteed delivery of December 23rd, and there is no word of where it is or when it will get to where it's supposed to go. It is a refrigerated food item....I'm guessing the ice has melted by now and God knows where it is sitting.

UPS's Facebook page is blowing up with angry consumers. See the customer comments section and select "View All". www.facebook.com...

I don't know what in the world happened to UPS, but they have a disaster of epic proportions and can only offer lies and lame apologies. It wasn't just their air freight either, it was all kinds of ground shipping. Lots of stories on their FB page about people who had their packages sitting in UPS storage facilities a few miles from their home, yet they weren't able to pick them up either.

usnews.nbcnews.com...

news.yahoo.com...

www.usatoday.com...

Did any of y'all have issues with late packages or outright no-shows for Christmas?

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
So what's the percentage of delayed packages?

TBH if the failure rate is anywhere between 10 and 15 percent, that's PRETTY DAMN GOOD, considering they are shipping millions of packages. Considering weather conditions in a lot of northern states and Canada as well, it's no wonder things got delayed.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I have to say our UPS driver was running like tomorrow never existed! Even had a extra driver who was new and ran like a God! They gave it their best I tell You!

I even did not get what I had hoped for, still on its way though. I'll just change it to a New Years Present thats all!

Sorry about your Ice though, if its coming from the east it should be still Frozen due to the Ice Storm and the like.

It is better then hearing some UPS truck slammed into a bus full of ....... or driving people off the road you know! So Far so good on this

Peace

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus
[more

Count us in the customers who didnt get their delivery made on time.
A gift for our daughter with estimated delivery date and time of 12-24 1740 (5:40 PM est)
to Tallahassee Fla.
My wife called and was told that the next delivery date is 12-26.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

infoseeker26754
I have to say our UPS driver was running like tomorrow never existed! Even had a extra driver who was new and ran like a God! They gave it their best I tell You!

They used to call them "runners" back 25 years ago.
They are hired over the Christmas rush (temps)
My wife did it for a couple of Christmases
When she was "young and agile"....................

25 years ago!

edit on 25-12-2013 by grubblesnert because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I don't think anyone was "screwed" by this issue. They work to right wrongs on an individual basis with shipping issues. I've experienced some myself between ups and the other companies.

If people waited until so late to get shopping done that is their own fault. I had some packages delayed by this, but I'm not complaining because I knew I was ordering late and shouldn't expect it to be here yesterday. If someone is so concerned with getting packages before Christmas that they get pissed and make a big fuss then maybe some fire planning should have been necessary?

That's not to say ups didn't set the bar high, their guarantee is a bit ostentatious, but none the less they did it anyways. But like I said, usually ups works with individuals to resolve issues like this. Stuff happens, and this is a good example of that. Is it a bit frustrating getting a delayed shipment? Yea it can be, especially if it's perishable like your shipment or important to your car, like mine. But, that a risk of online shopping. So, do I wish my stuff came yesterday? Sure I do! I feel you there. Do I think this will stop me from using ups again? Nah, those guys have pulled through before and I've never had more than a simple delay of a day or two.

I hope your stuff gets to you sooner rather than later, but let's not toss the folks who've worked so hard for all the successful deliveries this holiday under the bus, or the delivery truck.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Boo-freaking-hoo! Talk about your first world problems. If you don't like it, buy a plane ticket and travel to the distribution center to get your precious package. This is the time of year we should be thankful for friends and family, not rant about our materialistic thirst not being quenched.

Guess what, you'll get your package soon enough. Put on your big boy pants and deal.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by grubblesnert

Actually heard storys about that! One who fills in when the other is sick, moves herself! Being a temp back in the day, I remember clearing out boxcars on the rail.

Them UPS trucks are so loaded, I can not see how one actually finds the packeges in the first place! The new Temp took over 5 min's while boxes were falling out the back! Thought he did try to keep them from falling to the ground!

I can only Feel for them, even having to play catch up for another week or two! Oh wait! Come to think about it; I will have to do the same at work also! A sink here, cabnets there and some lumber too! At least come the First, it will be the same except more trucks on one day!

Hopefully I do not get ran over in the next 2 weeks!

Peace

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It is not the 'I didn't get it that was wrong.' Crap happens.

The real problem is guaranteeing delivery and then stuffing it up.

They have all the money and only those few who scream loudest will get it back.

If you make a promise you need to keep it.

The excuses are rather lame.

Typical big business/

P

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

That's it in a nutshell. I don't mind if there is an occasional hiccup, it happens. However, this was nation-wide, it is ugly, the customer service is failing miserably, and I ordered two weeks ago in order to avoid something like this.....but it still happened anyway. Ship date, December 17th, to be delivered NO LATER THAN December 23rd. They cannot even find this package, and I'm not the only one. Thousands of people were affected.

If a company guarantees a service, then they need to make good on that guarantee, no? I don't give a rat's ass what day of the year it is, if I pay good money to get guaranteed delivery by a certain date, then I expect it there, or at least expect them to know where the heck my package is. The package was to be shipped from California to Georgia. There was no issue concerning severe weather which would have stopped them from getting it to that destination on time. The ice storm in Texas was on December 6th and 7th. Yet they use it as an excuse, two weeks later.

People are so quick to make excuses for situations like this, blaming individuals and holding a greedy corporation blameless for taking good money and delivering NOTHING in return. Some of y'all can go ahead and give hard earned money to corporations and then say, "It's okay that you didn't fulfill your contractual obligation, cause stuff happens". Are y'all freaking SERIOUS here? I guess the bigger picture eludes a great many of you corporate worshippers.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

BeliefInReality

Boo-freaking-hoo! Talk about your first world problems. If you don't like it, buy a plane ticket and travel to the distribution center to get your precious package. This is the time of year we should be thankful for friends and family, not rant about our materialistic thirst not being quenched.

Guess what, you'll get your package soon enough. Put on your big boy pants and deal.

Wow. What a sorry reply that was. Actually, I was shipping something to a dear friend, I wasn't expecting anything myself. But you had to go ahead and assume that I was a materialistic, shallow person in order to make your nasty little rant fit, didn't you? I'm guessing that you're missing the bigger picture here, but it is in no way surprising.

UPS has a major PR problem on its hands, with thousands of upset people, and this is your response. As always, a poster's words say more about themselves than they do about the OP.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Not only did I order early in order to make sure that my friend got the package in a timely manner, but the UPS customer service is failing miserably right now. I tried working with customer service, and so far, no response, which tells me that they are overwhelmed with issues. A UPS rep on the FB page told me to please use email as the phones are at a high volume currently.

Everybody I talked to that used UPS this time had an issue with them. Therefore, there is something more going on here. There was a thread back in March here that talked about the Obama Administration forcing UPS and FedEx to police all packages....perhaps this may be at the root of it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

grubblesnert
[more

Count us in the customers who didnt get their delivery made on time.
A gift for our daughter with estimated delivery date and time of 12-24 1740 (5:40 PM est)
to Tallahassee Fla.
My wife called and was told that the next delivery date is 12-26.

This has been a common story. At least you have a delivery date, however. But I suppose if we expect a company to hold up their end of the bargain if we pay the money, then we're materialistic and don't know the meaning of Christmas.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I wish I had the actual percentage of delayed packages, but so far, UPS isn't talking. They won't even say what the volume of total packages has been. However, I have talked to 5 people today, and every one of them, all in different parts of the country, tell the same story. Therefore, I can only extrapolate that a larger than normal percentage of packages are either late or downright lost.

I also used USPS. They were slow, but all the packages did get there on time, on both coasts, despite any "weather" issues.

Again, this is not a RANT, this is a topic which is just getting to the forefront of the news. Yesterday I saw on the MSM national news that they claimed the ice storm in DFW affected all Christmas deliveries (although the storm was on Dec. 6th), and they dispatched 600 employees to that service center.

My own issue with them is just confirmation that I am actually experiencing what the news is referring to.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by infoseeker26754

Personally, I like my local UPS driver. He cannot help the poor logistical planning that is done at corporate headquarters. He's the only person who can find us out here in the middle of nowhere.

Again, I do believe it is a failure of logistics, but also something more.......something is very wrong this year with UPS, and I look forward to actual reasons why, as opposed to the same old corporate canned excuses.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Best leave it at US Post Office storys of late. Wasting your time you know.

What was it that you ordered that is so imporant if I may ask? Liver and other body parts come by special plane

Was it that important? You might get it tomorrow and extend your X-Mas another day! Cheer Up and be Happy that its coming!

I will pray that it gets to you in one box, not smashed and no problems what so ever!

Peace

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Hell, I'm still amazed when I get something anywhere NEAR on time. I'm amazed that you can click on a computer screen, order things from all over the world and magically a few days later they arrive on my doorstep, delivered by a cheerful hunk, no less.

It's a damn miracle, I tell ya!

Just as long as everyone involved is safe, and doesn't try to hurry just to make a deadline and get hurt or stuck in bad weather.

The timing is not important, no matter what the 'promises' made.

Just blame it on Rudolph's bulbous nose going out again. Dang drunk reindeer.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by infoseeker26754

Actually, it was a special present for a dear friend who was alone this Christmas, and I wanted to make it special. UPS was the default carrier for this particular company that I purchase from, so I didn't think twice about it, since I've never really had issues with UPS before. It was the sentimental value for this person that meant a lot to me....it wasn't anything medically necessary.

As I said, the other things I shipped, I used the US Postal service, and although they were kind of slow (two day guaranteed shipping turned into 5 days), the presents still got to all the people I wanted them to get to....all except this one.

I would chalk it up to bad luck, if it wasn't for the other thousands of people who are mad as hell. I had a good Christmas, my family who received gifts via USPS had a good Christmas.....but I so wanted for this one package, more than the others, to get to this one special person. Now UPS cannot even locate it.

Expect this story to blow up even more unless they can manage to contain the damage.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

signalfire
Hell, I'm still amazed when I get something anywhere NEAR on time. I'm amazed that you can click on a computer screen, order things from all over the world and magically a few days later they arrive on my doorstep, delivered by a cheerful hunk, no less.

It's a damn miracle, I tell ya!

Just as long as everyone involved is safe, and doesn't try to hurry just to make a deadline and get hurt or stuck in bad weather.

The timing is not important, no matter what the 'promises' made.

Just blame it on Rudolph's bulbous nose going out again. Dang drunk reindeer.

If that is the case, then I don't want to be charged guaranteed rates for a crap shoot. They need to be honest and say, "Hey, maybe it'll get there in time, and maybe it won't.....so we won't put a guarantee on it and we won't charge you more than what the package is actually worth."

Businesses are only as good as their word and the delivery of their goods. UPS is going to be hurt by this, I guarantee it....and that's a guarantee you can count on. People are already talking class action law suits.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The amount of online shoppers increased a lot this year. UPS is only so big, they can't handle the extra load when they weren't expecting that big of an increase. The brick and mortar stores got a big decrease in sales this year.

I wouldn't count on any company to deliver a package in a couple of days under these circumstances. The company cannot expand that much to handle the load without raising prices considerably. Order a week earlier instead of so close to christmas.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join