It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potassium Iodide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
It's easy to notice that a pint of iodized table salt is much heavier than a pint of un-iodized table salt. I found that even though efforts were made to insure the homogeneity of potassium iodide in one pint of iodized sodium chloride, the heavier potassium iodide still slowly settles to the bottom of the 1-Pint sample over several years of the salt shaker being on that store shelf(pretend 1-pt salt shaker's exist). Many containers are stored upside down. So, when you use the 1-pint salt shaker -you get mostly potassium iodide on your steak and not salt(sodium chloride). You can tell, because potassium iodide has smaller,crystals than the larger ,square sodium chloride crystals(and potassium iodide doesn't taste as salty as sodium chloride. So, it may "rain as it pours" but you get a large dose of potassium iodide during each meal, reducing the amount of urine you produce hourly. What do you think? Do you think all that potassium is needed in your system. Is this amount of potassium iodide beneficial?

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by siluriancryptic

I think you should read this previous thread of mine for everything you would ever want to know about Potassium Iodide.

The Iodide Conspiracy

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Do not take potassium Iodide. If you need potassium in our diet drink some orange juice or eat a banana.

Potassium is very important to heart function.

Side Effects

Taking potassium iodide can cause an irregular heartbeat

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

This is completely ignorant... Causation does not equal correlation. I could make a promise that NOT taking Potassium Iodide does more danger than actually taking it. It is a necessary element/nutrient needed by the human body in much greater amounts than the SAD/RDA.

The Silent Epidemic of Iodine Deficiency
edit on 25-12-2013 by VeritasAequitas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
You must be thinking of potassium chloride not potassium iodide. The 50/50 "lite-salt" uses potassium chloride with sodium chloride. Potassium iodide is for ingesting iodine.

I carefully use both as yes, irregular heat will happen once you ingest more than 4.5 grams of potassium a day for some given period. Potassium is in practically all food and easy to get so suppliments are limited BY LAW to 99 milligrams per tablet.

Potassium is a very, very dangerous thing to mess with in excess. It disrupts the balance that is the "potassium-sodium pump" responsible to establish the ion "voltages" between the insides of all cells and the exterior so waste will flow (current) out from the cells and nutrients will flow (current, again) into the cells.
edit on 25-12-2013 by tkwasny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Potassium Iodide is very dangerous and you should have read the side effects.

edit on 25-12-2013 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

So is eating a banana a day bad?

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Foods High in Potassium
Choosing potassuim-rich foods is easy because there are so many. Here are just a few:
Vegetables

Potato, 1 medium has 926 mg potassium
Sweet potato, 1 medium has 540 mg potassium
Spinach, ½ cup cooked has 290 mg potassium
Zucchini, ½ cup cooked has 280 mg potassium
Tomato, ½ cup fresh has 210 mg potassium

Legumes and nuts

Soybeans, ½ cup cooked has 440 mg potassium
Lentils, ½ cup cooked has 370 mg potassium
Kidney beans, ½ cup cooked has 360 mg potassium
Split peas, ½ cup cooked has 360 mg potassium
Almonds, one third of a cup has 310 mg potassium

Fruits
Bananas, 1 medium has 420 mg potassium
Apricots, ¼ cup has 380 mg potassium
Oranges, 1 medium has 237 mg potassium
Cantaloupe, ½ cup has 214 mg potassium

Source

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Potassium chloride--the salt substitute on grocery shelves. Recommended daily allowance of potassium--about 5000 mg

Potassium Iodide-- the addition to table salt to supply your thyroid with adequate iodide to make thyroxine. Recommended daily allowance for iodide-- 0.15 mg for adults.

Only a tiny bit of iodide is needed to prevent goiter --or to prevent uptake of radioactive iodine into the thyroid in the event of a nuclear bomb.

We need, and get, plenty of potassium from food.

Intravenous Potassium can be used to kill lab animals, or human beings. 50 cc of 10% KCL IV will suffice to permanently put the heart of human sized animals into a state of contraction and ensuing death.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Being in stage 4 kidney failure potassium is even more dangerous as the kidneys are not doing their job of getting the potassium out of my body.

It is a constant chemical balancing act that I find necessary to protect what kidney function I still have.

To be an effective machine the body needs a certain amount of potassium.
The lack of can hurt the heart and other organs and also bring on muscle cramps.
Too much can be just as bad or worse.

Through research, trial and error and self education I have finally created a list of foods with the most and least natural potassium.

I use any type of salt very sparingly and have found many herbs and seasonings to still have good flavor in my food.

It was not easy in the beginning as I am or was very self indulgent when choosing my food.

I suggest to everyone of all ages to study and govern your food intake in a way to best make your body work more efficiently.

It is not hard to follow my kidney diet when I think of high potassium intake as a deadly killer.

If I can help anyone with diet problems I will be more than happy to share my findings and help you create a diet for what ever may be causing your body harm.

Peace and Love to all.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I tried iodoral a year ago and it did nothing to give me energy. I tried it again about six months ago with magnesium and I got a lot of energy. After about four days it wasn't working much again, I burnt through my stores of certain minerals and vitamins quickly. I also was not eating enough food so I couldn't build enough glycogen stores.

I think a person should take magnesium with Iodine tablets. It's usually hard to get enough magnesium if you don't eat a real lot of veggies. Boosting your metabolism means that any low mineral or vitamin levels may become a problem. I take an Iodoral tablet about once every two weeks now, and the multimineral I take has about fifty percent of the daily iodine in it. Plus I eat sea salt and that also has a little iodine in it. We also have one shaker with Haines Iodized sea salt in it.

I don't have much problem with the chloride in salt, I pee it out...actually too much.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

This is the key point often ignored by those with little knowledge about nutrition, in favor of the words of some doctor paid by Big Pharma.

The amounts of Potassium Iodide needed to cause harmful side effects, are MUCH greater than you would need to take for a REAL daily allowance; somewhere in the ranges of several grams or hundreds of milligrams, compared to 12.5mg daily.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

VeritasAequitas
The amounts of Potassium Iodide needed to cause harmful side effects, are MUCH greater than you would need to take for a REAL daily allowance; somewhere in the ranges of several grams or hundreds of milligrams, compared to 12.5mg daily.
What is the amount taken by pregnant women which results in "cretinoid appearance of the newborn", any idea?

avogadro.chem.iastate.edu...

Potassium Iodide...

Potential Health Effects
Eye: May cause eye irritation.
Skin: May cause skin irritation. Chronic ingestion of iodides during pregnancy has resulted in fetal death, severe goiter, and cretinoid appearance of the newborn.
Ingestion: Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Chronic ingestion of iodides during pregnancy has resulted in fetal death, severe goiter, and cretinoid appearance of the newborn.
Inhalation: May cause respiratory tract irritation.
Chronic: Chronic exposure can lead to iodism characterized by salivation, nasal discharge, sneezing, conjunctivitis, fever, laryngitis, bronchitis, stomatitis, and skin rashes. May cause reproductive and fetal effects. Chronic ingestion of iodides during pregnancy has resulted in fetal death, severe goiter, and cretinoid appearance of the newborn.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

ImaFungi
reply to post by tkwasny

So is eating a banana a day bad?

Everyone typically needs 4.5 grams of potassium, balanced by 2.5 grams of sodium each day with 6-8 12oz glasses of water. All this spread out over the course of the entire day.

Some more, some less. The potassium-sodium pump balance for each individual is unique.

top topics

join