It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why won't the lights or phones work in my dreams?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hi everyone,

I hoping some of you may be able to help me understand a recurring dream of mine,

I often have dreams where i'm walking around a house, sometimes it my house but not always, and I just have an overall feeling of terror, like i'm trying to escape from something,

The house is always dark and everytime I turn a light switch on it never works, and the panic gets a million times worse as I move from room to room only to find that none of the lights will work, this often coincides with me desperately trying to phone for help, but I just keep getting the wrong number, sometimes i'm just completely incapable of even making the call and despair really starts to set in.

I think I made a small breakthrough the other day when I was dreaming that the lights wouldn't turn on, I was trying to get away from two people and as usual the lights wouldn't turn on, then I found myself saying ''the only time the lights don't work like this is when i'm dreaming''. And then I woke up, feeling really shaken but happy that i'd managed to figure out I was dreaming.

Does anybody have any idea what this all means?

thanks in advance

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Minnie1985

That's part of dreaming. In general functional things like light switches and what not aren't available for use at all. It's usually something that will wake you from a dream once you realize that you are in fact dreaming.

I myself use it to create 'waking dreams'. Where I realize I'm dreaming, but manage to maintain my dream state, effectively getting control over what I experience.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Sounds like your in Silent Hill to me :O

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

but manage to maintain my dream state, effectively getting control over what I experience

I wish I knew how to do what you describe above, it sounds very interesting

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I know this may seem silly, but here's a guide.

Lucid Dreaming.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Minnie1985

I often have dreams where i'm walking around a house, sometimes it my house but not always, and I just have an overall feeling of terror, like i'm trying to escape from something,

The house is always dark and everytime I turn a light switch on it never works, and the panic gets a million times worse as I move from room to room only to find that none of the lights will work, this often coincides with me desperately trying to phone for help, but I just keep getting the wrong number, sometimes i'm just completely incapable of even making the call and despair really starts to set in.

The 'House' is the psyche (many rooms = many compartments of our being) - What are you 'terrified' of inside your own self? what is it that's making you fear aspects of your own self that you cannot 'throw light onto' or communicate with another?

I think I made a small breakthrough the other day when I was dreaming that the lights wouldn't turn on, I was trying to get away from two people and as usual the lights wouldn't turn on, then I found myself saying ''the only time the lights don't work like this is when i'm dreaming''. And then I woke up, feeling really shaken but happy that i'd managed to figure out I was dreaming.

Does anybody have any idea what this all means?

thanks in advance

You were able to break into your dreaming state and control what was going on. There is a lot of information about 'lucid dreaming' out there, but in a nutshell its projecting your control into your inner being and the mind whilst in a dream state. The key to this is recognition and control of self.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

No, it doesn't sound silly in the slightest. I will read with interest, thanks for sharing

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

I myself use it to create 'waking dreams'. Where I realize I'm dreaming, but manage to maintain my dream state, effectively getting control over what I experience.

~Tenth

Those are lucid dreams, Tenth

I used to be able to do it - but after being on SSRI's - I can't - and it isn't because I don't know how, it is because my dreams aren't real enough - they are fuzzy, scattered, or nonexistent.

When I was a kid, I would naturally do this all the time and use my dream powers for flying or jumping super high, and I would especially like hiding in the trees.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

- I can't - and it isn't because I don't know how, it is because my dreams aren't real enough - they are fuzzy, scattered, or nonexistent.

The calcification of the Pineal Gland is most likely the cause of this. Is there a lot of fluoride in your diet? Or heavy metals? It could be a variety of things honestly, but those are the most common environmental factors to lack of dreaming.

I had dreams become almost non existent during a certain period of time. I drastically changed my diet and upgraded my living conditions and just like clock work they returned in full force.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Its pretty normal OP... Also walls can be made of puddy and depending on you present life situation cars will spin and turn out of control as well.
People who know how can use those signs as inducers to lucid dreaming. You just dont possess the ability to notice thats these things are dream signs.
Becoming lucid is something id like to try myself. I have an idea that it resembles being high on mushrooms which is pretty danm fun under controlled circumstances...

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

The phenomena of not being able to turn lights on and off in dreams in used in the movie "Walking Life", which is an entire film based on lucid dreaming. A very good film if someone here hasn't seen it.

In one scene a talented lucid dreamer explains that that's one way to test if you are dreaming is to try to turn a light off, and if it doesn't work, and if you can catch the connection, you will know you are dreaming while at the same time staying in the dream, and then you can make your dream do or go anywhere you want.

I remember Roger Ebert's review of "Waking Life", and he said that he watched it three times before writing the review, and he intended to watch it again.

edit on 25-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Hi, thanks for the suggestion to watch Waking Life, i've got it playing on netflix now

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Minnie1985
reply to post by Aleister

Hi, thanks for the suggestion to watch Waking Life, i've got it playing on netflix now

Nice, and you're quite welcome. I haven't seen it in years, but must have watched it about six times. Check out a young Alex Jones.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Thank you, Tenth. I have been taking Vitamin K2 and Vitamin D3 and it has been working to de-calcify my pineal gland. Do you have any advice on what foods to watch out for?

I suspect that in my case - even during the day, my SSRI's are causing me to be scatterbrained and incoherent, sometimes even spacing out - so interestingly, I started taking a beta blocker that reduced this, and it also concurred with a recent set of nights where I have dreamed clearly after taking it.

Beta Blockers, interestingly enough, are known to cause more intense dreams! I'm not sure what a "beta" is, honestly, even though I was a psychology major - but I was researching Propranolol and it affects the Amygdala - which is one of a few places that can cause trouble in autistics or PTSD sufferers.

The amgygdala acts kind of like a traffic circle or roundabout in the middle of a highway - and so... let's see... the amount of thoughts that go through there are going to get regulated, from what I understand, in one way or another.

I half suspect that in PTSD or Autism, the thoughts kind of build up - circling around.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Aleister

The phenomena of not being able to turn lights on and off in dreams in used in the movie "Walking Life", which is an entire film based on lucid dreaming. A very good film if someone here hasn't seen it.

In one scene a talented lucid dreamer explains that that's one way to test if you are dreaming is to try to turn a light off, and if it doesn't work, and if you can catch the connection, you will know you are dreaming while at the same time staying in the dream, and then you can make your dream do or go anywhere you want.

Interesting... so seriously? Electricity doesn't work in dreams? Well I can tell you two things that do work in dreams - alien technology and magic. Actually, magic works amazingly well - any website that teaches how to do magic will teach techniques that will work in dreams very well.

Also - nuclear technology works in dreams. Although interestingly... in that same dream, we couldn't get our car to start, also - I remember a ballroom dream that used candles to light the place at night.

In addition... I remember one time finding an ancient military installation that was underground. All of the equipment in it used traditional circuits - and I guess I mean stuff like OR gates and AND gates - and I was taking a class at the time - so I had to check the connections in the elevator in order to set it up to go down - and in the basement, I found computers from the 60's -
edit on 25pmWed, 25 Dec 2013 19:46:43 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
If your lights and phone don't work, better pay your bills.
edit on 25-12-2013 by HUMBLEONE because: Don't' dig dude in it

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Got anxiety??? I think your dreams represent insecurity and helplessness. Financial stress right now? Worried about how your going to pay the utilities?

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Sounds like the house is a booby trap and theres Freddy Kruger in their stalking you.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Because you didn't pay the bill.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
No lights when you flip the switch in dreams here too. Usually nothing mechanical ever seems to work properly either. Cars, elevators, etc.
Also, like they mention in Waking Life, I believe, reading is near impossible too.
For me anyway.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join