It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Birthday Howard Hughes Dec. 24, 1905

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

This is a Howard Hughes thread.

Festive greetings to all those ATS folks out there (across the E A R T H) who find themselves "alone" tonight... on December 24th 2013. But on the internet... you are never truly alone.

This December 24th (Christmas Eve, in Christian nations) also marks the official 'corporate' birthday of perhaps the most famous loner of the 20th century... and no, I'm not talking about Richard Nixon. It's Howard Hughes!

Thanks to Howard we have lasers and satellites since the early 1960's, both used for communications and the internet we are using today/tonight/tomorrow could not have been built so rapidly if not for those two critical technologies, which Hughes researched through his various front companies, mostly defense research contracts awarded through the Pentagon and CIA.

Thanks to Howard we have what is now known as civil aviation, so you can fly safely and comfortably in a passenger aircraft, through the air at high speeds! He was also the guy who circled the E A R T H in under 4 days back in 1938, with the aid of US ARMY top secret navigation computers. Hughes is even quoted as saying that the robot control "did most of the flying."

Thanks to Howard we have Jane Russell's best assets, captured on film starring in such famous moving pictures as The Outlaw and Underwater! and The French Line. (Note: It wouldn't be a proper Howard Hughes thread without mentioning those assets!)

Thanks to Howard's foresight and human compassion he created the Howard Hughes Medical Institute in 1953.

Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a United States non-profit medical research organization based in Chevy Chase, Maryland.[1][2] It was founded by the American businessman Howard Hughes in 1953. Source en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks to Howard Hughes operational Mobots way back in 1959 were protecting humans from doing dangerous jobs. Hughes is not writing science fiction here, he's building actual real robots! that science fiction writers such as Isaac Asimov were writing about! Read this article carefully to see what could be accomplished with robots in 1959.

Thanks to Howard's incredible genius we have in 1962 the first operating version of the 2012 google glass concept. Hughes was 50 years ahead of his time!

Thanks to Howard Hughes we have Hells Angel's, The Conqueror and the Hughes Aircraft Lunar Observatory. (You'll have to ask Robert Maheu about that last one
)

So, finally, Thank you, Howard Hughes and Happy Birthday, too. We never knew how much we needed you........ in our conspiracy theories set within the 20th century

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

SayonaraJupiter

This is a Howard Hughes thread.

Great thread! And I take it the rest of the thread is pretty good to.

But seriously, he was a very interesting and accomplished inventor, adventurer, movie producer, and innovator in many fields. One of the 20th centuries renaissance men, and thanks for putting our attention onto his work (and his friend, Jane).

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

But seriously, he was a very interesting and accomplished inventor, adventurer, movie producer, and innovator in many fields. One of the 20th centuries renaissance men, and thanks for putting our attention onto his work (and his friend, Jane).

There is very little about the man here on ATS. In most people's minds he exists as a footnote in aviation, a bookmark in Hollywood history. His life of exploits is a very sensitive CIA topic, so sensitive that much of his involvement in Hollywood movies, studios and theatre chains has always been overshadowed by the OCD insanity myth.

It's only possible to patch together a good narrative of Howard Hughes by taking the effort to study his whole life... not just segments of it. Hughes went so far to take control of his historical legacy by a meticulous effort to collect and destroy magazines with critical articles of him. It was mostly detective/crime stories and celebrity gossip magazines.

For most people, Hughes exists as Leonardo DiCaprio in the Scorcese movie "The Aviator" (2004)... I see it as an attempt by Hollywood to reinforce the mythology of Hughes' OCD insanity. www.imdb.com...

Warren Beatty had wanted to do a Hughes film for years and years, he never made one. Christopher Nolan has a completed script for a Hughes film, he shelved it. The first early attempt at a Hollywood Hughes bio was the Tommy Lee Jones 1977 picture based on Noah Dietrich's book,

Hughes himself was involved with making dozens of films... including "I Married a Communist" (1949) aka "The Woman on Pier 13" www.imdb.com... and this, I am sure, is why Hollywood is OCD sensitive about the Howard Hughes legacy... it goes back to the Red Scare/Blacklist era in Hollywood... which hurt a lot of people as a result of what Hughes did by shutting down RKO studios and scandalizing the movie industry with his obsessive commie hunting antics.

Hughes impact on movies over three decades can be seen in these three: Scarface (1932), The Outlaw (1943) and Jet Pilot (1957). However, a whole lot of his back catalogue is not generally available at retail and only rarely seen on cable TV channels.
edit on 12/25/2013 by SayonaraJupiter because: spelling

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

Hughes sent the cast and crew to St George, Nevada, to shoot The Conqueror in 1956. The US Atomic Energy commission had been detonating nuclear devices in the region since 1951; stars John Wayne, Susan Hayward and Agnes Moorehead died of cancer, along with half the crew. Supporting lead Pedro Armendariz shot himself when he was diagnosed with the disease. Biographer Charles Higham contends that with his military connections, Hughes must have known of the dangers but chose to shoot in Nevada instead of Mexico or the Mojave desert because he got a better deal. Hughes never visited the set

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

wow SJ.. such a great thread! Thanks ! Keep up the good work, it's people like you I won't delete my account LOL

TextFor most people, Hughes exists as Leonardo DiCaprio in the Scorcese movie "The Aviator" (2004)... I see it as an attempt by Hollywood to reinforce the mythology of Hughes' OCD insanity. www.imdb.com...

yea.. I thought they focus on his OCD a little to much and was looking more for his accomplishments more; meh, Hollywierd, what would you expect.

Even still, my favorite scene in the movie was in the court room LOL..

a big DOH !!

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
For those readers who are interested in Howard Hughes-related conspiracies one need look no further than the Gemstone Files, which included Aristotle Onassis and Jackie Kennedy, too.

Here is a link to a Howard Hughes Was A Vampire thread since there isn't very much here on ATS about him.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

At least one conspiracy researcher, Mae Brussell, had links to show that Hughes was kidnapped and swept off to a Greek Island by Onassis where he died by 1971!

A turning point year for Hughes was 1957, when he ditched his long time partner Noah Dietrich, he married Jean Peters, went deeper into seclusion at various locations, and hired Robert Maheu as his new #2 associate, who turns out to be quite a character himself, FBI, CIA, Bay of Pigs, Casto.

Just to spice things up a bit there were Mormons running the Hughes HQ at Romaine Street from the 1940's and Mormons were also catering to his needs during the seclusion period of 1957-1976. It was the Mormon Mafia who were taking meticulous notes about Hughes' massive drug intake and bodily functions! I think that these stories are a farce, concocted by Hughes himself. Knowing he had to keep the insanity myth alive Hughes paid off his Mormon entourage very, very handsomely.

It's highly plausible that the 95-pound skeleton figure who died in the airplane trip from Mexico in april of 1976 was a body double.

Hughes also had a special relationships with the Roosevelt/Truman/Eisenhower/Nixon administrations from 45-61, mostly to do with special treatment by the IRS, experimental planes, radar electronics, guidance missile system contracts, the works. There were money links between Hughes/Roosevelt and Hughes/Nixon, which most historians treat as a footnotes in American politics, but it's really about Hughes getting his foot in the door at the White House.... ... which was eventually accomplished in 1968 when Nixon came back from his own seclusion.
edit on 12/25/2013 by SayonaraJupiter because: add link

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

There are many people who have weird or criminal things occur near the end of their life, which is an easy way for detractors to criticize or negate their entire career. Howard Hughes is one of those, along with Wilhelm Reich, James Bevel, O.J. Simpson (he is one of the great running backs in American football history - run, O.J, run), etc. Hmmmm, a thread may be in order.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I don't know much about Hughes.. I remember years ago, about the film starring Dicaprio, the bbc film critic referring to Hughes as 'the reclusive, racist american' (?) I wonder how that came to be..

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Pweeky
I don't know much about Hughes.. I remember years ago, about the film starring Dicaprio, the bbc film critic referring to Hughes as 'the reclusive, racist american' (?) I wonder how that came to be..

If you need basic material on Hughes I can suggest the History channel version or whatever you can find on youtube. Of course the books by Steele and Drosnin. Of course, the Aviator dvd (get the 2-disc special edition it has some interesting stuff about Hughes' OCD)

I'd like to see your BBc source on the racism charge. Is it the old tale about the black soldiers uprising in Texas. Am I right? I have not seen any of the main researchers (the authors or film makers) talk about Howard Hughes in the context of racism. There isn't anything racist about Howard Hughes.

In fact I have an article here that suggests that he was a racially progressive, in terms of opportunity. Note that the article indicates 'friendship' not once, but twice.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I was just wondering... Are people on ATS intimidated by the subject matter of Howard Hughes? I just keep having this *strange* feeling that Hughes could be the key to a unlocking a lot of shenanigans from 1930-1976.

Hughes belongs in our 20th century conspiracy narratives. From the experimental aircraft he built, to Roswell, to JFK, to LBJ, from Las Vegas to Viet Nam via satellite, to Richard Nixon's rise to power... maybe even to Apollo... we can examine how deep the Hughes narrative reaches just by looking at Watergate for chrissakes.

I'm sure that many people do find this material intimidating because it is a labyrinth of myths created by Hughes himself to throw us totally of the track of what he was really doing. (Building a Matrix) But his life remains a mystery to be solved.

Take a look at Howard Hughes final resting spot. It's a UFO made out of granite.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Shaping into a very good thread. I don't think people here are as intimidated by Hughes, but have to wrap their head around his life and the paths you will take us on. And it was Christmas and Boxing Day when you put this up, so people are more intimidated by their in-laws and the leftovers. ummmmm, leftovers.

And that certainly is an interesting tombstone area. It looks like many more people are buried there besides Howard, is this a family burial plot designed by Hughes or was it there when he "found" it?
edit on 27-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Aleister

And that certainly is an interesting tombstone area. It looks like many more people are buried there besides Howard, is this a family burial plot designed by Hughes or was it there when he "found" it?

Your right, that's a family plot, father (Howard Sr) mother (Allene) and HRH Jr. Findagrave website has several different images/angles of the site. www.findagrave.com...

I'm wondering if the family plot always looked like this, or, if it was transformed in later years after the parents were interred (if so, what year!) There has to be some earlier photos of it (before Howard's death 1976). I'm just wondering if it always had the shape of a UFO/flying disc.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
What's wrong with this picture?

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Howard Hughes parted his hair on his left, not the right.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Plus he had a lousy tailor.

So it looks like you are on your own in making ATS readers appreciate Hughes' contributions to society, which were many. Did he have anything to do with N. Tesla, I would have loved to be at a dinner with those two talking science and what Tesla could have done with some of H. H.'s money.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Aleister

So it looks like you are on your own in making ATS readers appreciate Hughes' contributions to society, which were many. Did he have anything to do with N. Tesla, I would have loved to be at a dinner with those two talking science and what Tesla could have done with some of H. H.'s money.

A lousy tailor!
Hughes was a well-dressed man up to a certain point. His early Hollywood years show him in fine, tailored clothes. When he started getting heavily involved in aviation early 1930's is when you start seeing anecdotes about his 'rumpled shirts' and the engine oil on his pants, mostly because he worked long stretches at a time.

Surprise! Hughes was interested and adept at early radio. There are historical anecdotes (myths?) of Hughes building a radio transmitter from an electric doorbell at age 11 or 12, which would be about 1916/1917. His call sign was 5CY and he used his set to talk with ships at sea.

I know Tesla had travelled as far west as Colorado but I don't see anything about Tesla going to Texas or California. Hughes attended some schools on the East Coast (boys schools, outdoor skills, etc.) it's pretty easy to imagine that Hughes would have known about Tesla and his inventive powers.

Young Hughes Hughes even built the first electric motor bicycle in Houston, newspaper documented:

At 12, Hughes was photographed in the local newspaper, identified as being the first boy in Houston to have a "motorized" bicycle, which he had built himself from parts taken from his father's steam engine.

So there is a Hughes/Tesla connection of some sorts : they were both inventors with OCD.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

SayonaraJupiter

Aleister

So there is a Hughes/Tesla connection of some sorts : they were both inventors with OCD.

An interesting common theme. And where Hughes dated Hollywood stars and starlets, Tesla made sure they had light to dine by.
OCD and inventors may go hand in glove. And then hand in glove again. And then hand in glove again. Do any other OCD inventors come to mind? How about Edison, who patiently tested something like 10,000 different substances before he discovered the best filaments for his light bulb.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

HHMI... Howard Hughes Medical Institute

en.wikipedia.org...

This short portion of background material on HHMI was paraphrased from a Mae Brussell Worldwatchers tape recording dated from May 7, 1978. www.worldwatchers.info...

Co-located on the campus of University of Miami at 1550 NW 10th St., affiliated with the University of Utah... the scientists are experienced in the application of engineering to the solution of medical / scientific problems... it works behind closed doors and drawn drapes. Secretive, defensive and suspicious, the excuse being that this is the way Howard Hughes wanted it.

Hughes Aircraft turned over all profits to the HHMI trust, no stock, single owner, as a tax deductible shelter for Hughes. The IRS granted HHMI the tax benefit in the mid 1950's.

CIA James Angleton, chief of the CIA's Counterintelligence Staff from 1954 to 1975, en.wikipedia.org... was quoted in the Miami Herald, April 1976, "Hughes was a wonderful person," and "..we could not have managed without Howard Hughes".

Leroy Collins, former Florida governor, en.wikipedia.org... commented on an "Emerald Isle", a high tech island Hughes wanted to build for secret medical tests on human beings, including, brain experimentation, viral & genetic weapons research, and other areas of human research that were popular during the Nazi regime.

Jean Peters, (Howard Hughes's 2nd or 3rd wife?) en.wikipedia.org... testified under oath during a court appearance during the controversy of the Howard Hughes will. She said she saw Howard Hughes at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Boston, in 1966, and that was the last time she ever saw him. Source Worldwatchers www.worldwatchers.info...

Hughes actually did buy an island off the coast of Cuba, called Cay Sal, in 1957.

A 2003 article from CBS news:
Howard Hughes: Patron of Science? Medical Research Institute Is America's Second-Largest Charity
www.cbsnews.com...

My thoughts:

HRH was interested in life extension possibilities. He redesigned his empire to accommodate those plans. HRH may have made himself the guinea pig of experiments that extended his life, but ultimately, the years of being a test subject made him into the withered shell of a man (the 95-lb skeleton man who 'died' in 1976). I'm still not convinced that the 95-lb skeleton man was the real HRH.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

SayonaraJupiter
What's wrong with this picture?

What wrong?

Maybe I'm not seeing correctly, but I see mustache vs no mustache. :/

Back to the OP, very cool. I became interested in HH after seeing The Aviator, and have since read several biographies: Howard Hughes: HIs Life and Madness, and Howard Hughes: The Untold Story..

It's great the advances he made in aviation, as well as the medical field.

It's a shame what happened to him later in life, when, due to his addiction, he was kept pretty much sedated and taken advantage of by those "handlers" and "advisers" around him while he withered away and died. :/

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This thread is headed into even deeper territory. (think oceanic and submarine!) Eventually, hopefully, I'll be able to wrap my head around this whole Clifford Irving affair, including the Hughes teleconference of January 1972.

I have been looking at two Howard Hughes-related movies that are keys to understanding the Hughes/Irving affair. First is Orson Welles' "F for Fake" (1975) . Welles, a cinematic genius on the same level as Hughes, Welles, the confessed hoaxer of 1938's military psychological litmus test, his production of "War of the Worlds".

and the second film would be the more recent "The Hoax" (2006) starring Richard Gere as Cliff Irving.

A keen observer of the Hughes/Irving source material would see that the HRH teleconference was recorded on a Friday, January 7th, 1972. That's the same day that Richard Nixon announced he was running for re-election.

Shockingly, the HRH press conference was not broadcast on network TV until two days later, January 9th, 1972. That was Richard Nixon's 59th birthday.

Knowing now, as we do, that Nixon's 'delicate' financial relationships with Hughes go back to 1946 with the Committee of 100, Nixon's ongoing financial dealings with Hughes associates over a period of 25 years, and knowing (with 20/20 hindsight) that the Watergate break-in's would occur in just 6 months (June 1972) en.wikipedia.org... ...

My thoughts have concluded that these events, this particular sequence of events, represent a series of hands in a high stakes poker game played by HRH, Nixon and some others. I don't want to go too far into Nixon territory because this is mainly a thread about the different HRH myth narratives.

In this poker game interpretation, HRH is the Chairman, he owns the studio, the saloon, a movie set with radioactive dirt shipped from the Nevada nuclear test range; Richard Nixon, and some others, are the high stakes gamblers, they are actors, under contract to Hughes; The scene is played out in an old west saloon on wooden tables just like in the movies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join