It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bah Humbug.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

watchitburn
Bah Humbug

Christmas is a consumer driven scam, and I'm not playing. In fact, if I hadn't had to go to the store for more wine I would have managed to go all of Christmas Eve with having to speak to another human being. It was so close.

You are 100% right that this is the scenario to the non-religious, very hollow and unfulfilling....

To true Christians it is a very different event. An event to get family and friends together, and in this day and age all the more important. Also a time to reflect on their fellow man to help where they can. We went to church Christmas eve and the theme, other than Christ's birth, was what are you doing physically for your fellow man? Are you willing to make and pass out food to the needy throughout the year? Are you willing to help just one person/family to get back on their feet...

I hate to say it but your post really sounds like you are a sorry SOB with little in life to rejoice over... Not a life I would wish on anyone...

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

This morning, for the first time in 20 years, I kind of missed the idea of celebrating Christmas. Then I worked out and I feel great, so I am having a great day. I am washing dishes, making dinner and doing laundry, but I'm managing to have fun at it.

We don't celebrate any holidays or traditions, beyond maybe having a special meal (like today), so I don't dislike Christmas, except for the commercialization of it. It's just another day. Off work.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
edit on 12/25/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Stormdancer777

VeritasAequitas
reply to post by watchitburn

I think it is a damn shame that people are tainting the Winter Solstice tradition by associating it with such cheap and immoral materialism.

Did you get coal in your stocking.?

ho ho ho

I spent the month making my families presents, taught my four year old great granddaughter how to make gifts this year, it was the most gratifying holiday experience I ever had, watching her joyfully make gifts for her mom and grandma, teaching her it is more blessed to give than to receive.

Yes there are the negatives, but the positives exist.

Merry and happy, peace on earth, goodwill to all
edit on 073131p://bWednesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

Well that all sounds very lovely but guess what? I did all this too, but got # on by my family. Came home from their house in tears tonight. I asked to leave when I could feel my emotions building but nobody wanted to take me home. I'm in a wheelchair so it sucks to help me. They just yelled and yelled which only made me feel even worse so I just kept crying. I'm still crying. Trying to calm down.

The thing about Christmas for many people is if you are going through a bad time in your life or depressed, this day is not helping matters. It triggers so many emotions. It's the number one day for suicides.

That's what "families" are really like.
Must be nice to live in a perfect world of nice people. I could see I would be chirpier if I had that . If others had this. We just all don't have this.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Xtrozero

watchitburn
Bah Humbug

Christmas is a consumer driven scam, and I'm not playing. In fact, if I hadn't had to go to the store for more wine I would have managed to go all of Christmas Eve with having to speak to another human being. It was so close.

You are 100% right that this is the scenario to the non-religious, very hollow and unfulfilling....

To true Christians it is a very different event. An event to get family and friends together, and in this day and age all the more important. Also a time to reflect on their fellow man to help where they can. We went to church Christmas eve and the theme, other than Christ's birth, was what are you doing physically for your fellow man? Are you willing to make and pass out food to the needy throughout the year? Are you willing to help just one person/family to get back on their feet...

I hate to say it but your post really sounds like you are a sorry SOB with little in life to rejoice over... Not a life I would wish on anyone...

It's hollow and unfulfilling if you're stuck with non Christians or bad Christians in your family. I don't go to church but believe in all the values you expressed in your post. I feel I'm the only one in my family who has these values. I do help others less fortunate all the time, not just once a year.

I'm fighting a losing battle against a gang of assholes.

I think Christmas has become silly. It's not about Jesus' birth anymore. Very sad. Its got to the point where it should be abolished.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Thanks Watchitburn for this thread. I understand your feelings and am sometimes prone to a "tetch" of the same. I've heard it quite a bit more than usual this year it seems.
My husband shares your feelings completely. He once wrote the very phrase in Christmas lights across the house!
I'm not a Christian but the sentiment of the holiday, peace on earth, good will toward men, etc. is one with which I can agree and share their celebrations.
I've made a tasty cocktail of sparkling cider and cranberry cordial and my Beloved and I have just watched that crazy cat video on the Alone thread. None of my drink was actually sprayed through my nose but it was a near thing.
Happy Humbug!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join