It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Food Companies Push to Label Genetically Modified Products as “Natural”

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Can you believe this?

Source

Food manufacturers who use genetically modified (GMO) ingredients want permission from the federal government to stamp their products with the word “natural.”

The Grocery Manufacturers Association has asked the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to approve their plan, which would mean any food containing GMO corn, sugar and other such ingredients could be sold as “natural.”

One advocacy organization, the Environmental Working Group (EWG), blasted the food companies’ proposal.

It's high time there's a national conversation about our diets, food manufacturers and the advertising that goes with it. We have a right to know what goes into our food, down to the last molecule and the fact that these companies are attempting to muddy the water further, only makes me think they have something to hide.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

My sister used to only shop at Whole Foods because they supposedly only sell "Organic" products. I told her to look at the labels & ingredients. She still shops there from time to time, but not so much anymore. GMO is finding its way into EVERYTHING these days.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I will give them permission to use the term 'natural'.

On the proviso that the product fits the newly defined legal term (passed before allowing them to use natural);

Natural: As occurring in nature.

Since genetic modification alters the plant in a way that it doesn't occur naturally in nature, they are screwed.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

tothetenthpower

It's high time there's a national conversation about our diets, food manufacturers and the advertising that goes with it. We have a right to know what goes into our food, down to the last molecule and the fact that these companies are attempting to muddy the water further, only makes me think they have something to hide.

They have a lot to hide. Like the fact that we don't have a choice and there's not really anything we can do about it. You see, the only ways to sustain the food requirements of a population that has overgrown the natural carrying capacity of its land base are to A) alter the land to allow for more production than it naturally would (i.e. agriculture); or B) alter the genetic attributes of the food species itself to allow for more production than would naturally be possible (bioengineering).

The former is segueing into the latter as our planet becomes "smaller" and there is less and less fertile land to cultivate. They have to do this or there won't be enough food to go around and their customer base (you) will die. That's the dirty little secret.

I'm afraid it's Soylent Green for everyone, folks--processed garbage with just enough nutrients in it to keep us alive and minding the store. That is, until the cancer and autism make us all completely useless... then who knows what they'll do.

top topics

join