It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surgeon suspended over 'branding' his initials on a liver!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I was at the gym today when a news story about this came over the radio. Half the guys in there just stopped what they were doing out of shock, the other half burst out laughing..but that's the English for you lol

A surgeon has been suspended over accusations that he "branded" his initials on to a patient's liver.

Consultant Simon Bramhall is reported to have burned SB on to a patient's liver during an operation.

The surgeon has worked at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham for more than ten years.

University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, which runs the hospital, confirmed a surgeon had been suspended and that an internal investigation had been launched.

A spokesman for the Trust refused to name the surgeon but sources have named Mr Bramhall, from Redditch, Worcestershire.

The initials were reportedly found by a colleague during a routine operation.

In a statement University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust said: "Following an allegation of misconduct, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust has suspended a surgeon while an internal investigation is completed".

Source

Mr Bramhall

To be fair its truly shocking, what was going through that guys head when he decided to do that? Its said that a lot of surgeons are actually psychopaths , maybe this is an example of that.

edit on 24-12-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Wonder if his middle name is Lester and whether he likes falafel?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
No God Complex going on with that guy. Nope... He sounds to have a perfectly adjusted ego and sense of himself.

/sarcasm

Really? Sign your initials to another human beings internal organs? Firing is a nice start. Psychological counseling would be called for too, I'd think.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Oh, the horror of it all! I'm sure many are just OUTRAGED! But ask yourself, what real harm did it cause? Really. Did it "damage" the liver, even a little bit? Did it "harm" the patient, even a little bit? Did any medical complications result? Had there not been a subsequent non-related operation, would it ever have been found and noted by anyone? Just a few questions to ask as you go about being shocked and dismayed at the travesty of it all.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
You have to know this probably wasn't the first time only The first time HE GOT CAUGHT...

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I can kinda get what you're saying, but yes, branding would involve deforming tissues unnecessarily, which would be harming the liver, even if just a little bit.

I think it's less of the objective, and more about the ethics. You just can't allow something like this.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
"Internal Investigation"........

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

i had the exact same thought as you .. that perhaps the half of these people at teh gym in shock were over-reacting just a tad ... as it probably caused zero damage ..

but then .. if i think about it .. although many people do like to sign / initial / trademark the work theiy're proud of ... i'd be sooo incredibly frustrated if someone put his name on my internal organs .. it would seem sneaky, dark and swordid ...

by the power of greyskull .....

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I always put my name on my work, pieces welded, joints for x-ray, my pay stubs, and tests at school

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

With all due consideration here..... Is there anything that cannot be justified, rationalized or relativised out of meaning or being upset for what someone else has done to another person?

The man signed his own identity INSIDE the bodies of other living people. I don't care if he harmed them beyond that or not, personally. That is a violation SO extreme, I'd like to see the man serving hard prison time. England has some rough rough prisons as I understand it. Dr. Feelgood can go do a few years, IMO.

He didn't need to do physical injury to say the emotional and psychological violation was extreme and profound. This one seems to make it's own brand new category of ethical bankruptcy?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I am not familiar with how it will be handled in the UK (yes, it is that Birmingham) but we do hold heathcare workers to a high standard an I imagine he will not be a surgeon for much longer...

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

webedoomed

I think it's less of the objective, and more about the ethics. You just can't allow something like this.

Not even if it saves your life??

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

I'm failing to see how branding someone's liver will save someone's life.

Please explain.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Elton

so, it never occurred to him that if this or any other patient he branded that it might be discovered if they had a subsequent surgery??

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The man should lose his license to practice medicine and banned from performing surgery for life.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

He performed an operation that would have been life extending whether imminent

on in the future .... with or without his initials...

If he performed an operation on any of my children that prolonged or saved their

lives i wouldn't give a dam whether he autographed his work or not.

edit on 24-12-2013 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

Right, so what does that have to do with my post?

I never said anything about not performing the surgery. Are you suggesting a scenario in which this doctor would refuse to save my life by way of surgery without my consent to be branded in the process?

That's the only way your reasoning is making sense.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

While this is disgusting and arrogant, I know of several brands of single-malt scotch that have branded my liver!

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Innocent until proven guilty?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

lacrimoniousfinale
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Innocent until proven guilty?

Who told on him?

Was it his kidney?

top topics