It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BTS : Avatar Creations 2014

page: 304
<< 301  302  303    305  306  307 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: cody599

OMG !!! Too funny Cody. When I scrolled down and saw your post, I spit tea.

Dang you!!!! LOL

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

Om's had the same effect on me but with beer LOL

*Note to self* Buy screen wipes

Cody

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Hey you guys....I just removed an avatar from the Christmas contest thread and wanted to leave an explanation as to why I did but I don't want to scare of anybody so I thought I might throw it in here for discussion or maybe you guys have some answers...

Here's the post I didn't post yet:

okay so in a couple of hours I'll be leaving you guys with a big empty place where once used to be an avatar of a cat skeleton in a glass christmas present for E.Schrödinger.

I was pretty pleased with the result but thanks to a crytic reminder from Cody I got to do some digging around on the interwebs as to the exact definition of the term "fair use".

The thing is, the kitty was not my design and I got it through Google image search. Although I did give credit to the original artist in my post I didn't feel comfortable with it and I attempted to contact the original artist to ask for permission to use part of her artwork in my avatar design.

Here's the reply I received from the artist:

Hi Chris,
Thank you very much for contacting me about this. I'm really happy that you like my work. But I will have to ask you to take the picutre down because using my image is against my copyrights. It's very nice of you for asking about it and for caring about permission of image owner.
I'm really happy to have a fan like you!
All the best,
Aleksandra

So all-in-all I'm glad I approached the original artist and I will try my best to find a free image of a cat that can take the place of my previous kitty (or design one myself).

It may seem obvious to not use pictures that have a watermark or copyright logo on it but the thing is..

The excuse that the image didn’t have a watermark or a “©” to show it was copyrighted doesn’t work. Most works first published after March 1, 1989 do not require a copyright notice, which is great given the speed we can upload photos at today. At the same time, this lack of copyright notice has some people believing that there are no restrictions to its use. Indeed, every one of those selfies with duck lips on Instagram is subject to copyright, as is that photo of a flower (or cloudscape, animal, cocktail, etc.) that would go great on your blog. Copyright laws are often blurred with the sharing mechanisms on many of the social networking sites. However, as soon as an image is taken from one platform and used on another, there may be problems. And while search engines are doing their best to provide copyright notice information if it applies, please don’t assume that if it’s not there in your search that there is none.

So always make sure you are using free images or get permission from the original artist.

Sorry to be such a drag....

Peace
edit on 2014pAmerica/ChicagoWed, 10 Dec 2014 13:15:15 -0600pm3115201412 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

I was pretty pleased with the result but thanks to a crytic reminder from Cody I got to do some digging around on the interwebs as to the exact definition of the term "fair use".

What did I say to make that happen OM ?

I just said I thought it was genius, and now I say that artist's a right miserable git for not allowing his work to bring pleasure.

Geez what a Grinch

Cody

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
Just because I want a break from cats lol.

Let's have some dogs!

Here is an idea for a xmas avy. Unfortunately, the meme is way too wide.

P

OMG! Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I would like a female drawing similar to the Vitruvian Man, by Leonardo da Vinci, if thats posable. I always thought DA Vinci had great taste, and nothing on this Earth is more beautiful to me than the female form. Can anyone help me please?
I am very Avatar challenged.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

We have some amazingly talented people in here and they will indeed help you. Just hang in there and someone will get to you eventually.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

It can be done, only problem I foresee is Vitruvian Man is naked, which is not allowed on here.

Putting clothes on a similar style woman figure may ruin or clash with the original.... Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: 74Templar

Yeah, the finished product probably wouldn't fly as an avatar unless clothed-up... the attempts at it could be even worse.

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Question...should we be posting the freebies for the holidays
here, the contest page or both? I have WAY too many & did not
want to bombard either sight. Thanks!

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Ektar

If they are holiday related, feel free to post 'em in the contest thread, or here, or both

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: cody599

I just said I thought it was genius, and now I say that artist's a right miserable git for not allowing his work to bring pleasure.

Geez what a Grinch

Cody

Hahaha...you didn't actually say anything, that was me misinterpreting your "little prince" reference.

But it's all good. I had this feeling this particular artist would have a problem with me using her material. She a young artist from Poland who has just started up her own business based on her artwork, clothing etc..

So I kind of understand she would object to it and I fully respect that.

It's just one avatar, there will be others..

Peace

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Sooo I know I didn't get this one too long ago and I really do like it but I was thinking of a few modifications if possible.

Seeing as how I am a Jedi and all(snicker) how about a blaster and light saber. Oh and it is Christmas time so. Ho Ho Ho.

or

Something all new. You guys know what I like it is up to yall.
edit on 10-12-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

nothing wrong with updates or new avatars entirely......it's good to be able to change

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime

originally posted by: cody599

Geez what a Grinch

Cody

Hahaha...you didn't actually say anything, that was me misinterpreting your "little prince" reference.

But it's all good. I had this feeling this particular artist would have a problem with me using her material. She a young artist from Poland who has just started up her own business based on her artwork, clothing etc..

So I kind of understand she would object to it and I fully respect that.

It's just one avatar, there will be others..

Peace

I'm a fairy and my name's nuff

Fairy nuff

I think it's commendable that you went to such lengths OM
It's amazing the impact that book can have when read carefully isn't it

I'm going off the radar whilst I go to work, got problems with my phone, but I'll catch you all later.

Have a great one all

Cody

Cody

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
This one from the Crazy Cat Lady Club Thread from Timely.

Way too cool not to do as an av. Free to good home of course.

Thread here

edit on 11/12/2014 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I have a really awesome idea with this as a base;

If you're cool with that I can try and put aside some time to put it together tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: 74Templar

Yeah no problem!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

Avatars in general are under fair use, there are few BUTs. Mostly they are under fair use because no one has really challenged those legally about whether or not it is acceptable and because of the size of images which are rather small ( here in ATS we have a big space to use for avatars which is very uncommom in internet ).

What is acceptable in general as a fair use is that image is not just slapped as it is but is modified to be different than original image. Copyright is always with original creator as in your case she had a right to ask its removal and it was nice from you to ask her permission. Original creators like to be mentioned by crediting them so when they make a search in internet they can actually check if the pictures in question apply in their opinion as a fair use.

Some movies and charachters are under fair use as using those images only improves marketing to copyright owner ( batman, superman.. etc ) but for example Disney forbids any use of their images.
Celebrities and public characters like Presidents etc are also under fair use.

Hope this helps a bit

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Thanks Zarniwoop!

top topics

<< 301  302  303    305  306  307 >>

join