It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the mystery of nine skiers who died half naked in the Siberian wilderness in 1959 been SOLVED? A

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ToneDeaf

It was two tents put together, and you don't have a very good picture of it. Here are better pictures, where you can sort of see the two tents combined (totaling 4 meters long):

Mystery of Dyatlov's Pass part 2
www.youtube.com...

Also they were not inexperienced. They were very experienced. But they may have made some mistakes like picking a bad site for the tent. The slope was about 20 degrees and they managed to find a small flat spot but it wasn't big enough for the tent. That documentary describes how they had to move snow to level the foundation for the tent as seen in that screenshot, since the tent was much bigger than you think.

The photos of the scene investigators found show what appears to be a much smaller tent but probably because a lot of it is buried in snow (from your link):

edit on 26-12-2013 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

defcon5
and make sure it didn't start the tent on fire.
So you would have 7 in a 6 to 8 man tent, which isn't too bad.

Explains why the kids socks and shoes had burn/scorch marks on them.
They were obviously cold and trying to warm their feet in the fire.
Some had burn marks on their sleeves.
If their clothes caught fire that would be a dam good excuse
to make a quick exit out of the tent.
All of this shows how inexperienced they were.
They all had cameras, yet no UFO photos, lol
sorry to break any conspiracy theories but there definitely is none here.
Sticking that many kids in a nylon pup ten, in 20 below freezing is
not exactly a day pass.
Some one probably lost it, maybe one of the girls took off,
chaos ensued.
That's what you get when there is that many kids in a pup tent,
with their shoes and socks on fire,
in 20 below freezing.
No conspiracy here.

ps. the tent photos in above post can not be from the same
spot. there are no trees in the original.

edit on 26/12/13 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I have always found this to be a rather interesting unsolved mystery. Would absolutely love to have a definite answer as to what happened to that expedition.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

ToneDeaf
the tent photos in above post can not be from the same
spot. there are no trees in the original.
Correct. Same tent, different spot.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Astr0

Char-Lee
reply to post by dlbott

It seems odd that some of the bodies were there so long and were not eaten on by predators also.

Not odd at all. There isnt a Siberian predator that will eat frozen food. At deep winter above the snow line its common for bodies.to.remain untouched.

No healthy population of prey birds, boar, different types of cats, even tigers depending on area. I do think radiation had much to do about it. When we find mutilated cows and such scavengers do no touch them. Probly the radiation.

These were very weird strange case. I personally think they ran across very evil ET. Or even more a drone and were wrong place wrong time thing. The area ha this reputation.

The Bot

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

defcon5

tsingtao
locals? no. why would they? there would be tracks all over the place.

Well if there is a small number of outsiders the number of tracks would have just gotten lost in the mix. There was no formal investigation of the tracks because they originally expected to find the folks alive, so it wasn't treated as a crime scene until it had been already walked all over by the first search party.

The fact that no valuables were taken is what best points to locals not being involved, its also part of why I like the “spy contact” theory. If it was a contact gone bad, the contact would have only taken anything that could be shown to be evidence of their having been there.

\
that's true, but someone should have noticed absence of multiples.

anyway, it was a campsite and that can be excused, to being from the party.

but to where they were found, there had to be more obvious tracks, than the party.

we agree that it wasn't the locals. right?

how many people does it take to beat 9 people to death?

or scare them enough to die from hypothermia.

1 BIG scary mofo or a bunch of yahoo's.

i'm trying to set aside the radiation stuff, usually one has no idea, unless they were being microwaved.

and not sure, but i think microwaves do not leave any trace of radiation.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 4ajodster

Going to make a bold statement and say that they had hypothermia. When hypothermia gets severe the brain makes you think you're body is burning up, and you feel very hot. Lots of people who die from hypothermia strip clothes before they die.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Agents/thieves/ military would have confiscated the cameras.
The cameras were all there and intact.

There was only minute beta radiation on the clothes of two.

Eagles have been known to take down deer.
It's rational that they would go after soft tissue first.
The kids broke their ribs probably falling into the ravine in
which they were found.
Don't care if any one disagrees,
this is a kids tent for mild weather, meant for no more than two.
The actual cut-up tent :
. . . I would have fought my way out too
, but then
I wouldn't have set up for that situation, at the very least been
better prepared, insulated sleeping bag, and tent.

edit on 27/12/13 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
One thing that's been puzzling me with all this.I've watched a few videos about this,in particular the part about the tent getting ripped.The first idea was that it was ripped from the outside,then and what seems to be the current pet theory,they say it was ripped from the inside.
How can they possibly tell which side (inside or outside) the knife used to rip it was inserted from?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Imagewerx
How can they possibly tell which side (inside or outside) the knife used to rip it was inserted from?
In some cases it might be hard to tell, like if the knife was really sharp and the cutting motion was perpendicular to the fabric.

But if their knife wasn't that sharp it will distort the fibers when cut, especially a the point where the knife initially poked through the tent. Take some rags or old clothes you're about to throw away, and try cutting them, then look at the fabric with a magnifying glass. What you see at the cut will depend on the knife used and the fabric type, but the point where you first poke the knife through will stretch the fabric in a certain way in most fabrics, so that's the place to look. You can also try cutting with a new single edged razor blade to see minimal distortion, then try cutting with a knife like the campers probably had (not as sharp as a new razor blade) which distorts the fabric significantly when you try to poke it through the fabric. Once you see it yourself, you will understand.

It's a different reason, but cutting from the inside is also consistent with the lack of other footprints at the site. One initial idea was a "mansi attack" but there was nothing to support that idea, from the lack of other footprints to the cutting direction of the tent to the fact no valuables were missing.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ToneDeaf

Eagles have been known to take down deer. It's rational that they would go after soft tissue first.

I can't see an eagle removing a man's tongue and the underlying muscles through his mouth while the man is alive without leaving at least a talon mark through his skin. If the man was incapacitated, it would be akin to eating carrion, and the eagle would have to open the person's mouth to remove the tongue...using his beak and/or talons, without damaging his face.
I think the chances of that happening are remote.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I read on one of the links provided in this thread that some of the cuts were not all the way through the fabric (canvas) of the tent and these were what indicated that the cuts were made from the inside.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

As far as the tongue and eyes? I'd note something else... This was a standing temperature of roughly -22f/-30c. The one with mutilation was also found with the others in the ravine and under the meters of snow.

How long does it take for exposed flesh like eyeballs to freeze solid as ice cubes, that far below 0? How about the whole head and tongue? If frostbite is roughly a 5-10 minute crisis at those temps (According to National Weather Service exposure impact charts) then how long did a scavenger bird, as some suggest, have to do that damage before #1, they were buried in snow down in the ravine and #2. they froze rock solid?

I recall someone in this thread has real life, direct cold weather/backcountry survival/camping experience. I'd imagine someone who has been out there to do this would know the numbers as a routine matter?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

but were are the trees in the bottom photo?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I can believe that of modern flimsy tent fabrics as they stretch quite a bit,but this will have been made from Russian army surplus canvas that would have withstood a direct hit from the starship Enterprise that probably doesn't stretch at all?
Also from what I understand of the Mansi culture,they are just hunters and fishermen and don't make a habit of slaughtering innocent visitors?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Kholat Syakhl

en.wikipedia.org...
Kholat Syakhl, or the "Dead Mountain" in Mansi[citation needed] (lit. Мёртвая гора Mertvaya gora in Russian) is a mountain in the northern Ural region of Russia. In 1959 a group of ski hikers led by Igor Dyatlov mysteriously perished on the east shoulder of the mountain. The mountain is the subject of several important Mansi legends.[citation needed] Name of this mountain simply means lack of game for Mansi hunters, not "Mountain of the Dead" as some suggest due to popular misconception and related events. Mansi word "Kholat" meaning "dead" or "meager" is pretty common name on their territory and is part of at least 3 other topographic objects.

Name of this mountain simply means lack of game
edit on 113131p://bFriday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

I think the folklore may be important because of this reason, where others have said the mountain is called Mountain of the dead this clarifies what it really means and why,

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Infrasound sometimes results naturally from severe weather, surf,[6] lee waves, avalanches, earthquakes, volcanoes, bolides,[7] waterfalls, calving of icebergs, aurorae, meteors, lightning and upper-atmospheric lightning.[8] Nonlinear ocean wave interactions in ocean storms produce pervasive infrasound vibrations around 0.2 Hz, known as microbaroms.[9] According to the Infrasonics Program at the NOAA, infrasonic arrays can be used to locate avalanches in the Rocky Mountains, and to detect tornadoes on the high plains several minutes before they touch down.[10]
en.wikipedia.org...
Infrasound also can be generated by human-made processes such as sonic booms and explosions (both chemical and nuclear), by machinery such as diesel engines and older designs of down tower wind turbines and by specially designed mechanical transducers (industrial vibration tables) and large-scale subwoofer loudspeakers [11] such as rotary woofers. The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization Preparatory Commission uses infrasound as one of its monitoring technologies, along with seismic, hydroacoustic, and atmospheric radionuclide monitoring. The largest infrasound ever recorded by the monitoring system was generated by the 2013 Chelyabinsk meteor.[12]

The largest infrasound ever recorded by the monitoring system was generated by the 2013 Chelyabinsk meteor.

This event happened somewhere over the Ural mountains as well.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Ivanov was the one who first noticed that the bodies and gear found were all radioactive, and said that a Geiger counter he'd brought with him went nuts all around the campsite. He also has said that Soviet officials told him at the time to clamp the case shut, despite reports that "bright flying spheres" had been reported in the area in February and March of 1959.

“I suspected at the time and am almost sure now that these bright flying spheres had a direct connection to the group’s death,” Ivanov told Kazakh newspaper Leninsky Put in an interview dug up by the Times.

Another group of students camped out around 30 miles from the other group reported similar sightings at that time. In written testimony, one said that he saw “a shining circular body fly over the village from the south-west to the north-east. The shining disc was practically the size of a full moon, a blue-white light surrounded by a blue halo. The halo brightly flashed like the flashes of distant lightning. When the body disappeared behind the horizon, the sky lit up in that place for a few more minutes.”

So there was another group camped.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Stormdancer777

but were are the trees in the bottom photo?
You mean the trees where the bodies were found? They are shown, sort of, in this map as being mostly downhill from that treeless campsite, which also identifies that tent location:

Mystery of Dyatlov's Pass part 2
www.youtube.com...

The number 1079 at the lower left is the peak of the mountain they camped on (1079 is the elevation). Just to the upper right of that you see a icon for the tent location (at the treeless site where they cut the tent open). Then further upper right, three red dots showing the bodies of those trying to make it back to the campsite, presumably. The green dotted line shows the treeline, and just past that a little tree icon represents the cedar tree 2 of the bodies were found at, with 2 more red dots showing the body locations.

Then the last four bodies were found months later, further into the trees, continuing in the upper right direction from the tent, in a ravine, three of them with severe injuries.

Stormdancer777
I think the folklore may be important because of this reason, where others have said the mountain is called Mountain of the dead this clarifies what it really means and why
Thanks for the clarification. Good find. Maybe "lack of game" and "dead" is a good synonym in this case, since above the treeline, the animal as well as plant life diminishes.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by butcherguy

As far as the tongue and eyes? I'd note something else... This was a standing temperature of roughly -22f/-30c. The one with mutilation was also found with the others in the ravine and under the meters of snow.

How long does it take for exposed flesh like eyeballs to freeze solid as ice cubes, that far below 0? How about the whole head and tongue? If frostbite is roughly a 5-10 minute crisis at those temps (According to National Weather Service exposure impact charts) then how long did a scavenger bird, as some suggest, have to do that damage before #1, they were buried in snow down in the ravine and #2. they froze rock solid?

I recall someone in this thread has real life, direct cold weather/backcountry survival/camping experience. I'd imagine someone who has been out there to do this would know the numbers as a routine matter?

The air temp for a living human being to have an eyeball freeze on them would be below minus 90. Its not physically possible until the entire body is frozen dead solid, and also the eyes are the last to freeze as the jellified liquid within them retains a lot of the bodies heat (the eyes are mostly inside the skull and the brain will be warming them from the inside for a while)

So to answer it then - at minus 30 the human body in a zero wind environment has MAX 30 minutes until frost bite. Now, thinking these people were near naked, in high winds and deep snow? they were in deep, deep trouble instantly from hypothermia (shivering would occur almost immediately and at best, 2 minutes of using the hands before all dexterity was lost). 30 minutes MAX (eye would after cooling rapidly freeze as any salty liquid, in temps as high as a little below zero) after total death the eye would be a solid expanding lump.

The one thing I will also add is that the eye could of exploded due to expansion of the liquids within and make the victims look eyeless when found. the snow packs into the cavity and continues to compress the left over tissue until basically it acts like a freezing cold scrubbing brush.

I certainly have seen this first hand and it is traumatic - you find a perfectly preserved clothed body on Everest and eyeless sockets stare out. Its not nice at all.

edit on 27-12-2013 by Astr0 because: Added thoughts on the eye

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join