It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the mystery of nine skiers who died half naked in the Siberian wilderness in 1959 been SOLVED? A

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
My theory is they had some form of naturally accruing L S D in there food.

There have been cases of rye mold that formed L S D.

One very bad trip.
edit on 24-12-2013 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This incident fascinates me. It's just so strange, but as the saying goes, the simplest explanation is often the correct one. I think it's entirely possible that the wind might have created some frightening sounds, and these people were already on edge. An avalanche, even a small one, would have freaked anyone the F out in the middle of a storm, so I don't doubt the idea that they may have had to deal with an avalanche and perhaps fleeing from it was their end. a couple of people were found in a ravine, no? Well, how the hell would you see the edge of one in a snowstorm running scared in probably a blind panic? Those blunt force injuries don't seem too odd when you consider that.

The radiation is what gets me. Does that area's composition perhaps contain something naturally radioactive? Could it be they were just unlucky enough to set up their site on top of a shallow deposit? If it's not something natural already there, then I'm utterly stumped on that one....

reply to post by AfterInfinity

OT, but DUDE, your avatar needs decaf, stat.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Why is everyone overlooking the fact that the entire area was lit with high levels of radiation?

No avalanche or infrasound causes radiation...

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

watchitburn
It could also be simply explained by an avalanche, they are good for breaking bones.

Animals like to eat eyes and lips.

And people dying of hypothermia tend to experience a feeling of being warm, which could explain some of the naked people.

Just something to think about, the simplest explanations are usually the correct ones.

I would think animals in this cold if they ate anything would eat the rest. Also their teeth marks would be evident.

This part is interesting

Transcript of an official interrogation of medical doctor B.A. Vozrojdenny by L.N. Ivanov about injuries of Nikolay Thibeaux-Brignolle.
Question: "What could have caused injuries that Nikolay Thibeaux-Brignolle suffered?"
Answer: "He could have been thrown down from a height of a grown man. He might have slipped and fell. However veer deep fracture of the skull base suggests that his injuries are similar to a victim that was dropped with a great speed and strength from a quickly moving car."

Question: "Could we assume that he was hit by a rock that was held by another man?"
Answer: "In this case we would see damaged soft tissue and we don't see that on the body"

from the autopsy link from AliceBleachWhite
www.ermaktravel.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

The radiation is what gets me.

I see no radiation mentioned in the autopsies
www.ermaktravel.com...

One thing, if there were true psychics surely with such horrific fear involved they would have seen the answer by now so I guess this proves there are no real ones.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This mystery has always been in my top five as far as unsolved events go. It is simply intriguing. Having given this case more than just a passing glance, I can confidently say that I do not believe this explanation accounts for what was found in those mountains by the search party. I mean obviously the fact that one or two of them climbed a tree has always suggested that they were attempting to get a better vantage point of their camp. And considering they cut their way out of their tent, and scrambled in various directions, obviously something was at their tent that caused them to flee.

I have always agreed with the conclusion the investigative team came up with, which is that this involved the Soviet military. The explanation this article puts forth also does not account for the signs of high doses of radiation inflicted upon the skiers. And also there were strange lights observed around the same time that the event was concluded to have occurred. Lights need not mean aliens, but rather could mean government intervention. Perhaps the skiers saw something they were not supposed to see, although nobody seemed to have written about it or recorded it. But if the military were the first on the scene, which I believe they were, obviously they would have recovered such information.

There are other things that happened that do not fit with this new idea. I mean infrasound, really? They were obviously fleeing from something, and they needed only to go a short distance to get away. Had it been what is proposed, they could have easily returned to their tent after it had stopped. And it does not seem likely that it would have been so localized as to have driven them this distance and then left them alone. Surely they would have had to go much further to escape it.

I don't know why, but I have always had this nagging feeling that the military/government of the Soviet Union actually descended over the tent with a helicopter, scaring them out. Maybe not a helicopter, but they wouldn't have wanted to just fire a bunch of bullets into the tent, which may leave evidence behind. It also depends upon whether these skiers were part of some sort of experiment. That also makes some sense. But I feel that they saw something they shouldn' have, and thus were eliminated. All the military would have to do is drive them away from the tent, without their supplies, and prevent them from returning. Nature would do the rest. But the injuries to some of the skiers also suggests they could have been attacked.

This is why it is a mystery. There are so many unanswered questions, and so many possibilities. Some of the possibilities are more likely than others, as we know, but even something like aliens cannot thoroughly be discounted. It may not be plausible, but it is definitely not impossible. Impossible is a word that should rarely be used in my opinion. Usually it is used by skeptics who have no clue that they truly are biased and not objective, as they claim. Anyway, I don't buy this new hypothesis.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Char-Lee
reply to post by Nyiah

www.ermaktravel.com...

One thing, if there were true psychics surely with such horrific fear involved they would have seen the answer by now so I guess this proves there are no real ones.

I think you should've checked your source a little deeper...

This was on the same source you just posted, and it clearly mentions the case being closed 3 days after radiation was found on all of the bodies / some of the clothes...

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Oh, quick addition, it has been confirmed that there was Soviet testing going on for the R7 rocket during the time of this tragedy.

Whether you believe what the Soviet military official has confirmed, is entirely another subject, lol.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

parad0x122

Char-Lee
reply to post by Nyiah

www.ermaktravel.com...

I think you should've checked your source a little deeper...

This was on the same source you just posted, and it clearly mentions the case being closed 3 days after radiation was found on all of the bodies / some of the clothes...

It was not my source but I did read all the autopsies, why do none mention radiation on the bodies?

So you gave me more to read..thanks.

It looks as though things that were odd were left out in the autopsies like the missing tongue and such was not detailed. I wonder what the book will make of that or will it leave out radiation, or was there really radiation.

The first point I found suspicious is the examiner's failure to include an explanation of the cause of these injuries esp the severest ones eg the removal of the tongue (Dubinina) and eyes (Dubinina & Zolotarev) and the broken neck suffered by Kolevatov.
edit on 24-12-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Char-Lee
reply to post by Nyiah

www.ermaktravel.com...

You didn't post this?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

parad0x122

Char-Lee
reply to post by Nyiah

www.ermaktravel.com...

You didn't post this?

Yes you will note I credited the source as coming from AliceBleachedWhite page one.

Why? If it is posted by me I am somehow responsible for having researched it deeper or not?
Biggie

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Awesome mystery! Thanks for posting!

I read the link and find it not much more than a theory. Kind of a hyped news article title. Sound waves driving them all nuts to suffer weird injuries? Weak.

I read the link someone else posted of the 'autopsy's'. As they are not the original documents but transcripts of transcripts. There are a few holes then obviously. In addition, the website is a travel agency site. Interesting. I am not sure how much faith to put into it.

Cause of death: hypothermia. Sure. Makes sense, but totally misses the point. It's like say JFK died of head trauma, move along. How did seasoned mountaineers put themselves into a position to all be hypothermia victims simultaneously? Why all the broken bones and other odd injuries? Fighting each other for clothes? Huh?

I keep reading talk about an avalanche in various stories yet talk about foot prints in the same sources. How does that reconcile? If there was an avalanche, would they not all be buried to some degree? How come the tent was still standing? Must have been a well built Russian model
Why would there be footprints?

I am not buying UFO's just yet, but infrasound is about as plausible.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

4ajodster
The Dyatlov Pass mystery has always intrigued me. I think the infrasound theory is a possibility, but is not all inclusive. That does not explain the weird broken bones and missing tongue and eyes from one of the young ladies.
The missing soft tissues like tongue lips and eyes are the least mystery of all, so I'm not sure why anybody even questions that. It's been explained so many times and the explanation is so logical I can't see why anybody questions the explanation.

A lot is unknown, but a lot is known. It appears they cut open the tent from the inside and left their shoes inside the tent and walked out without their shoes. So, we don't know why, but it seems logical to presume that maybe something scared them and that's why they left the tent suddenly, without their shoes. As this infrasound theory purports to suggest what may have spooked them, I would certainly add it to the list of possibilities as it sounds quite plausible to me, however I think it's far from solved, as there may still be other possibilities, including the avalanche hypothesis:

Dyatlov Pass incident

One scenario under this theory is that moving snow knocked down the tent, ruining the campsite in the night. The party then cut themselves free and mobilized. The snow would likely have contacted them and possibly ruined their boots and extra clothing.

There are plenty of myths surrounding this case. There was a claim of radiation. Here's a source for that claim and it gives no verifiable details:

Mysterious Deaths of 9 SKiers

Deepening the mystery, a test of the clothes found they contained high levels of radiation.
What kind of radiation? What levels? What instruments were used? Has anybody ever found any credible report? Because this one sentence with no details or sources doesn't really pass the credibility test.

As for involvement of the soviet military, can't you say the same thing about them that you could for involvement of the indigenous people?

Dyatlov Pass incident

There had initially been some speculation that the indigenous Mansi people might have attacked and murdered the group for encroaching upon their lands, but investigation indicated that the nature of their deaths did not support this thesis; the hikers' footprints alone were visible, and they showed no sign of hand-to-hand struggle.
If there were no other footprints, wouldn't that rule out the military, as well as the Mansi people?

The infrasound is an interesting possibility; thanks for sharing it.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I just watched Devil's Pass on NetFlix... all has been solved.

I don't want to ruin the movie, it was pretty good, so I won't divulge the ending other than saying Paris Hilton wasn't involved.

As for the ending of the movie and what really happened? Truth is often stranger than fiction.

Derek

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

ABNARTY
I keep reading talk about an avalanche in various stories yet talk about foot prints in the same sources. How does that reconcile?
I think you need to explain why you think it doesn't reconcile, because it makes sense to me. Avalanche knocks down the tent and covers it with some snow, so they push up on the tent and cut themselves out. When they leave the tent they leave footprints. Why wouldn't they? The avalanche is over before they leave the tent, so it wouldn't cover the footprints.
edit on 24-12-2013 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

they showed no sign of hand-to-hand struggle.

Well if the autopsy reports are real and accurate this is not totally true, there were defensive type wounds on some.

If this happened at night I doubt indigenous people would have attacked in the winter in the dark.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

The missing soft tissues like tongue lips and eyes are the least mystery of all, so I'm not sure why anybody even questions that. It's been explained so many times and the explanation is so logical I can't see why anybody questions the explanation.

I must have missed the so many times it was explained? Do you mean animals? That really makes no sense to me. What animals that would not take in the winter more than an eye on a couple and a tongue including the floor of the mouth in one?

Animals that come across food would surely continue to eat. it would be clear if animals had eaten these parts, why would that not be noted clearly?

Was there something more?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Arbitrageur

ABNARTY
I keep reading talk about an avalanche in various stories yet talk about foot prints in the same sources. How does that reconcile?
I think you need to explain why you think it doesn't reconcile, because it makes sense to me. Avalanche knocks down the tent and covers it with some snow, so they push up on the tent and cut themselves out. When they leave the tent they leave footprints. Why wouldn't they? The avalanche is over before they leave the tent, so it wouldn't cover the footprints.
edit on 24-12-2013 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

Then would they not stay and repair their lifesaving tent and retrieve their clothing inside?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

As I was not there, I am simply speculating. An avalanche does not leave behind snow to climb out from under, tent or not. It leaves behind white concrete. If there was an avalanche which buried the tent, the bodies would have been found in the tent or in a direct line from it in the direction of the avalanche. Cause of death most likely would have been asphyxiation.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

whyfiles.org...

Part of the original investigation sought to find out if it could have been wild animals. They looked for tracks. If there had been an avalanche, why bother looking for tracks?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I'm going to go with "sound" as being a cuplrit but not the same idea as the wind blowing through the ravine causing infra-sound. Obviously hypothermia has its place in this incident. But as far as sound, howbout the military testing with various sound frequencies? Say the military pulls this "trigger" and the hikers are in the line of fire - they hear some loud "trumpeting" sound (not unlike the sounds reported in Canada, etc this past few years....) it causes the hikers to panic. Remember, this is 1959 - this "sound" is probably unheard of by the common people. So the hikers hear this "enormous trumpeting sound" echoing through the area (remember the area is vast and open so sound carries), causes them to panic and flee their tents. Not only are they frightened to the 9's...whatever frequency was being used could also induce confusion as well causing internal damage to the victims.

This was during a time of the early days of the cold war. It would stand within reason that the investigation could possibly warrant some element of secrecy. So what else is secret but known? Howbout UFO's? Am I including UFO's as a culprit. No, but it wouldn't surprise me if the mere mention of them makes the story mysterious, ludicrous but...still controllable. Covering military secrets with the explanation of UFO's doesnt seem so far fetched these days.

Perhaps my time-line is off, but wasnt Nicholas Tesla from this period or not long before? His work was considered secret due to military implications as well as ....well the free energy/money connection is a whole nother story I guess.

In summation, my theory goes to sonic weaponry being tested in a mostly un-populated territory with less than a dozen hikers in the wrong place at the wrong time.

PS - Reported radio-activity could have been attributed from the filaments of the lanterns they were using. They degrade very easily when used and contain thorium. As for the tongue on the poor girl - her body was found months (2?) later and decomposition could have caused it too shrivel/shrink.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join