It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the bible the divine word of god?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
First off, i do not mean to offend anyone. I am just trying to see and show how many different opinions there are on this subject. I personally dont believe in any gods and i see the bible as a collection of ancient novels that were written by primitive people who genuinly believed what they wrote. There is some historic value to be gleened from these stories, but how do we separate the facts from the opinions? (Also i am writing this on an iphone so.... You know. )

Who here thinks that every word in the bible is the divinely inspired words of god? Old and new testament.

Now i know some people dont. People have various ideas of how to interpret these books to get the meaning which they can agree with the most, but for those who do believe that every word is the divine word of god, i have a few questions.

Do you think god and jesus are one and the same? If so then does jesus condone the horrible murders, rapes, slavery, and sacrifices attributed to god in the old testament?

Do you think the hundreds of commandments given to the jewish people in the old testament are still relevant to modern christians?

If you dont believe that every word in the bible is divine revelation, Then how can you tell which words are divine, and which are to be seen as metaphor, or symbolic?

Are you allowed to interpret that for yourself?
So is every interpretation correct? Most would say no. So then does it come down to individual interpretations? Which means that none of it can be trusted because everyone interprets these words differently. So you have to look at it skeptically. Thats when you notice things like donkeys talking, and thousands of dead rising from their graves, people walking on water, changing one substance into another, so on and so on, until you realise that none of it is based in reality and people were just writing down what they thought was the truth.

How do you rationalise all the inconsistancies?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
never mind
edit on 24-12-2013 by johnb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Woodcarver

If so then does jesus condone the horrible murders, rapes, slavery, and sacrifices attributed to god in the old testament?

Help me out here. Where in the New Testament does Jesus "condone the horrible murders, rapes, slavery, and sacrifices attributed to god"?

Chapter and verse, please.

I think you'll find the answer to your other question there.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The site owner ask we not discuss religion for a week or so.

Merry Christmas....I'm sure you didn't know.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

If jesus and god are the same entity then it would make sense that you could attribute the old testament to jesus.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

He asked that we be civil. Thanks

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

If jesus and god are the same entity then it would make sense that you could attribute the old testament to jesus.

That isn't what I asked you.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I believe every word of Holy Scripture to be truly Inspired by God,

I believe Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of God,

I believe the Son of God is the Second Person of the Most Holy Trinity,

I believe the Son of God condones everything the Father does as well as the Father condoning what the Son does, I believe Jesus was very explicit in establishing this,

and the Old Testament God is the same God of the New Testament, Jesus is the LORD of Old, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, Jesus Is, I AM!

I believe you should seek and search for Truth, pray to God, ask Him to reveal Himself to you and give you knowledge and wisdom, understanding, truth and faith,

Don't give up and don't stop looking into the BIble because a few people who don't understand try and ruin it for you,

I repeat, do NOT give up!

Search and seek!

The Truth WILL set you free!

God bless

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

But maybe there's hope. Let's see if there is. I want to challenge our members to stow their animosity for beliefs not their own in one area for one week: Religion.

I guess I misunderstood.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I am not citing a verse.

Just some peoples belief that jesus and god are the same entity. There are people who believe that based on the way they interpret certain verses but i am not talking about the verses themselves only the belief.

If you dont hold this belief then you are welcome to state why or any other comment you wish.
edit on 24-12-2013 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-12-2013 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

No problem. Thx again. You are welcome to join the conversation.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Simple answer? I see no reason to believe that the Bible is the divine word of any deity, or ever was. Merry Christmas and happy holidays.
edit on 24-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

If you dont believe that every word in the bible is divine revelation, Then how can you tell which words are divine, and which are to be seen as metaphor, or symbolic?

Are you allowed to interpret that for yourself?
So is every interpretation correct? Most would say no. So then does it come down to individual interpretations? Which means that none of it can be trusted because everyone interprets these words differently.

Throughout history religious people have killed each other over their beliefs; Muslims killing Christians; Christians killing Muslims; Catholics killing Baptists; Protestants killing Catholics; Muslims killing Jews; etc. Even within Christianity there was a huge fracture and many small offshoots.

To answer your question…YES, it comes down to individual interpretation. People flock where they feel comfortable and in agreement.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

In a civil way I will say that IMHO to your title question...NO.

Festivus for the rest of us!

edit on 12/24/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I am not citing a verse.

That's because there isn't one. Perhaps we are making progress.

Next, kindly cite where Jesus says that he wrote the Old Testament.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Thanks seabag. I couldnt agree more. But i am trying to understand the other side of the coin. Those who do believe. And how they rationalise the words to fit their specific denomination.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I think you should re read my post. I just said im not making that claim.

But i'll ask you specifically. ( because i dont know. )

Do you believe that jesus and god are the same entity?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I've heard of the possibility that the bible has been changed or rewritten over the years i don't know if its true or not but the idea has been planted in my head now

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

adjensen

If so then does jesus condone the horrible murders, rapes, slavery, and sacrifices attributed to god in the old testament?

Help me out here. Where in the New Testament does Jesus "condone the horrible murders, rapes, slavery, and sacrifices attributed to god"?

I think you'll find the answer to your other question there.

If you look at what you quoted from my OP you will see that i phrased that as a question and not a statement. I think that is where your confusion originated.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

You recognize that there is no scriptural support for Jesus condoning "the horrible murders, rapes, slavery, and sacrifices attributed to god", and no scriptural support for him having written the Old Testament, so what's your point? Do you think that Jesus condoned those activities, even though there is absolutely nothing that says that he did, and his specific words, such as "love your neighbour as yourself," say the opposite?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join