It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insurance Illiteracy Rampant Among Obamacare Target Demographic

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by whywhynot

Pretty much, which is why Obamacare actually includes the Summaries of Benefits and Coverage. It doesn't bring the level of the language down enough though.
edit on 23-12-2013 by antonia because: opps, wrong letter

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   

No, 14 % are outright illiterate she said 25%, 21% below a fifth grade level and still you debate this? At a fifth grade level they could still read that information. At a 7th grade level you should be able to understand it anyway, they're not talking Latin terms like Medical or Law terms here, simple terms at a 7th grade level my 7th grader can understand these insurance terms if she read it right now.

The 21% below 5th grade levels, might not understand it, but the whole illiterate thing was just a JAB at citizens,
edit on 2013/12/23 by ldyserenity because: missing word

edit on 2013/12/23 by ldyserenity because: to clarify

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I made my point, I'm sorry that you don't like it. That is you choice.

edit on 23-12-2013 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

ldyserenity

They might not understand it, but the whole illiterate thing was just a JAB at citizens,

I'm sorry, What? I think you are taking insult where none was intended. I tutor for ALC. I see the problems illiteracy causes all the time. Believe me, the 5th grade reading level does not cover your insurance policy, nor does the 8th grade level.

qpc.co.la.ca.us...

I'm not the only one that says this. The government believes it and even writes most widely used military training material at the 5th grade level because most American's don't read at high levels. I'm not saying they are bad people. There are plenty of nice people who can't read Hayek, but you don't write for people who can read Hayek. That's the point. The language has to be lowered so the public can understand it.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

I don't know how you come up with that when clearly you don't add the two together it's well let me clarify:

il·lit·er·ate adjective (ˌ)i(l)-ˈli-t(ə-)rət
: not knowing how to read or write

: having or showing a lack of knowledge about a particular subject

: not grammatically correct

Full Definition of ILLITERATE

: having little or no education; especially : unable to read or write
a : showing or marked by a lack of familiarity with language and literature
b : violating approved patterns of speaking or writing
: showing or marked by a lack of acquaintance with the fundamentals of a particular field of knowledge

Merriam-Webster Dictionary

You can't add those at a fifth grade level to those who can't read at all.

Those are separate for a reason.

So where are you coming up with what you're saying or did you look at the wiki links they're not the ones I posted. Hers were from another source.

I can also find a link that says we're at 99% literacy too.

She would be correct if she meant illiterate when it comes to insurance that was not what she stated, not even in the least bit.
edit on 2013/12/23 by ldyserenity because: keyboard malfunction

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

antonia
reply to post by xuenchen

How is it planned? All insurance policies are written in formal, legal English. Why would the government deviate from that?

It's not difficult to learn how to read at high level: You just have to read. The more you read the better you get at it. Is the government obligated to come to your house and whoop your ass if you don't read? Come on now, not everything is a conspiracy. The U.S. has always been an anti-intellectual society. Is it shocking a society which doesn't value education is filled with people who can't read?

I completely agree with the statement in bold. And the more I read, the better I learned.

I can't help but think though that turning every library book into digital format is helping. These kids will be in the middle of brushing up on their healthcare terminology (yeah, ok...), when BAM!...text message! There is a reason we need to promote the old fashion book and where to get them.

The library is a SOCIAL place believe it or not. These places are what help bring young groups of people together. Now you download it on the toilet if you want and start reading. You will soon see at museums, a recreation of the library, complete with bookshelves and dust covered paperbacks. Just like the caveman exhibit. Sorry, I'm not preaching to you exactly.

And our education system is designed purely to develop scientists, engineers, builders and mechanics, that will only service the great machine that is America. No real life skills. One step forward two steps back.

I don't think its that people are illiterate, they are just simply not interested. At least about healthcare. It is still broken and is like spreading nails on toast. The people can tell, and the young have completely lost interest. If they can remember video game codes, they can memorize a few healthcare definitions. But why would they want to?
edit on 23-12-2013 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

a : showing or marked by a lack of familiarity with language and literature

Your own definition proved my point.

I am not going to reply to you anymore after this. It obvious to me you do not understand what was said and have just taken all of this personally. That is not my problem, but facts are facts regardless of how you feel about them.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I wipe my arse with obamacare, and when the IRS sends me a fine, I'll wipe my arse with that to. I'm too illiterate to differentiate between this stuff and fecal matters. Either way it all smells like sh.........

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
"How many more signed up today?? What dumb*sses...hahaha"

~Obama

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

antonia

eisegesis

I can sit around all day and hope that my teacher will make a connection but eventually I will focus on something that interests me more.

Then whose fault is that? If the information is offered to you and you have the ability to understand it then you can't blame someone because you were disinterested.

That's not even the problem though. You live in a country where almost 25% of the population is illiterate. The average American reads at the 7th to 8th grade level. Interest isn't the problem. They can't understand the material.
edit on 23-12-2013 by antonia because: opps

edit on 23-12-2013 by antonia because: opps

Well said. And you have to take the time to learn this stuff and the insurance companies don't want you to understand what it all means and it changes every year. That is a large part of the program. Is to set minimum standards for policies and define terms consistantly throughout the industry.

Comparing plans has never been easy because they were all different and changing every year. Even for a small business - every year you had to work through several pounds of conflicting information from different insurance companys and dozens of different plans for each company. Most people throw up their hands in dispair. I did and I was getting paid to figure this crap out.

It's easier now, minimum standards of services (actual services not maybe services) and you can compare comparable plans with similar terms (deductable, co-pay, out-of-pocket, etc).

No we have not been educated about this - because big business doesn't want us to understand or ever use our policies.

This is a step - just a step - towards a health care system that will work for human people not just corporate people.

BTW - I had a terrible time with the website (doesn't like MACs or something). I just called a certifided agent - have an appointment to go through the process with them on paper - it was simple.

You have to work through things. If it doesn't work, you try a different approach. Heck, Social Security was rolled out with pen and paper and punch cards.

I'm sick and tired of the whining about the website and Obama lied and ...and. Those complains don't hold any water and are the deperate attempt to derail a program that people just may like. There are always problems to be overcome and if you are too lazy to find a way you deserve what you get.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

BTW - I had a terrible time with the website (doesn't like MACs or something). I just called a certifided agent - have an appointment to go through the process with them on paper - it was simple.

I hope that your Obamacare agent is not a felon or some other criminal type. You will be giving them your most private personal information to. These agents "Navigators" do not have a background check according to Kathleen Sebelius.

Kathleen Sebelius Testifies On Convicted Felons: They Could Become Obamacare Navigators

top topics

<< 1   >>

join