It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opening my heart and home -- come along?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Have you ever felt "convicted?" I know the word is strange and can be repulsive but it means feeling something to your core -- like now is the time to act. For some inexorable reason, I feel like it's time to rescue another dog. Tomorrow, we will go to the pound and welcome another family member. I'll post pics. Who's willing to come along on our journey???

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

Posted so I can follow up.

All I ask is that you provide nothing but unconditional love.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Wish I could join you. Our very old cat died in August, then our old dog in September. My best half wants to be 'animal free' for awhile.....sure is lonely without my friends.
Can't wait to see what you adopt!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

That is ALL we will give our new family member. People don't realize what a gift it is to lavish love on a dear animal. Thanks, Beezz!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

My heart hurts for your loss! I believe that our pain at losing them is part of the gift that we offer our dear furry pals for being part of our lives.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

graceunderpressure
Have you ever felt "convicted?" I know the word is strange and can be repulsive but it means feeling something to your core -- like now is the time to act. For some inexorable reason, I feel like it's time to rescue another dog. Tomorrow, we will go to the pound and welcome another family member. I'll post pics. Who's willing to come along on our journey???

Kudos to you for opening up not only your home, but your heart as well. So many people feel that they cannot adopt a new bud, because of the short, yet glorious span of time that they had with their furry friends of past.

Dawgs and Cats have very short lifespan compared to us...and it is very hard when they pass. But their cousins need love as well and are willing to give it in return. Letting pain cause you to miss a possible positive relationship can come to no good.

It is better to be loved, than to never have loved.
edit on 23-12-2013 by TDawgRex because: Flippin' Spell check!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Wait. what? No srsly what? another mouth to feed. It may eat your avatar.
edit on 23-12-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
What a wonderful thing to do!! I wish I could do the same thing!! Sounds like its going to be a very nice Christmas at your house!

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   

beezzer

Posted so I can follow up.

All I ask is that you provide nothing but unconditional love.

What no food.... or water?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I have met an awful lot of people that don't like cats.

I just tell them they've never had one that was cooked right, then.

( Sorry
)

I am actually expecting for a cat to 'adopt' me soon. That's how my beloved white Persian came into my life; he just 'appeared' one day, looking for a home.
Since I believe in the power of prayer.......well, it's just a matter of when.
It's going to be a very good year.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies! We're narrowing down the list. I just called "Daisy's" foster mom and hope she'll call me back today. Look at this beautiful face!

Can you believe that someone abandoned this sweet girl at a dog park? It hurts my heart to think of her waiting there, wondering when she would be picked up by her former owner who never showed up.

Daisy's web page says that she has ground down her front teeth from maybe chewing on a fence, that she sometimes decides she's a lap dog and that she acts like a goofball, running around the yard with a basket on her head. She should fit perfectly in our household!

Fingers crossed this works out...if it's meant to be....

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

She looks great!

And, just as a warning, most bully breeds think they are lap dogs. 99% arent, but you will NEVER EVER convince them otherwise.

Alert all human males to beware of the downward thrust nut destroyer. Seriously.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

nugget1
I have met an awful lot of people that don't like cats.

I just tell them they've never had one that was cooked right, then.

( Sorry
)

I am actually expecting for a cat to 'adopt' me soon. That's how my beloved white Persian came into my life; he just 'appeared' one day, looking for a home.
Since I believe in the power of prayer.......well, it's just a matter of when.
It's going to be a very good year.

Heehee, Nugget! I adore cats but I'm unfortunately allergic to them. I hope you're adopted, soon. I believe that's the way it goes. Their souls find ours when we're open to it. My last rescued dog climbed in my lap (all 100 lbs. of him) put his paws around my shoulders and hugged me when we first met. Yes, it's going to be a very good year.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Serdgiam

Alert all human males to beware of the downward thrust nut destroyer. Seriously.

I have never heard of this phenomenon. 'Will definitely warn my fiance so that he continues to speak in the same octave.
I just love it when big dogs think they're "lap-radors." That's probably because I don't have any fragile equipment down there.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Yes, it is a technique that I learned all to well working with dogs in many different capacities (shelters, grooming, professional training, blah blah).

Its partly funny, partly serious. Well, maybe more "pretty damn funny, pretty damn painful." Some dogs learn they can get a reaction that way (who woulda thunk?) and do it, as far as I am convinced, purely for sh!ts and giggles. Bully breeds tend to LOVE social interactions, and seem to get humor quite well, for better or worse.

My current pup likes to punch.. And while he wont be a "huge" dog (hes currently 7 mo/85 lbs), hes like a damn ninja...

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
We had a blast doing this last year. We rescued our second English bull terrier. Poor Bella came to us with a horrible infection and black teeth. After antibiotics and probably a thousand bucks in milkbones and chewies, she's healthy and her teeth are beautiful. This poor dog was left outside in the rain, fed crap, and kicked because she chewed on a weed-eater. She jumped almost every time we touched her for about 6 months. It took a total of 8 months before she would relax for a belly rub. We later found out that she is a true sister to our first bull terrier. Now they run and play chase with each other. Snuggle together by the fire and steal each other's food. I can't imagine one without the other.

If you are an empty nester or maybe never had children, a dog fills that gap perfectly. Kudos to you, my friend, for giving another dog a loving home!
edit on 12052011 by smcneil01 because: can"t spell!

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by smcneil01

What a great story! I'm a sucker for a happy ending. Our other rescued dog, Joe, was similar to yours in that it took him a while to open up. He was found as a puppy eating from a dumpster, and was very skittish for about six months. We were shocked to finally discover that he could "talk" when he eventually relaxed. Now, he spends his days lounging on a big memory foam cushion and converses with us all the time. We think he'll like the new addition to our household. He just adores female dogs.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
UPDATE: Daisy's foster mom says there's another family who contacted them first and might be adopting her, so now we're waiting to hear back, and we're at the mercy of what they decide. I'm trying to remind myself that these things have a way of working themselves out but I already lost half my heart to Daisy's pretty smile.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I'm so happy for you! He's beautiful, and I think I detect a mischievous glint in his eyes....

(I mean 'she'

edit on 2u88America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

nugget1
I'm so happy for you! He's beautiful, and I think I detect a mischievous glint in his eyes....

(I mean 'she'

edit on 2u88America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

Yes, Nug. You saw it, too -- the mischievous gleam! We're still waiting to hear back from the foster parents on whether the other folks are adopting Miss Daisy. I'm trying to be all cool and composed about the situation but I confess that I'm anxious and hopeful.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join