It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In your experience: Sites for natural homes in the US and elsewhere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
There doesn't seem to be a good forum for this, but I'm looking for the type of insight that ATS members can likely offer.

In just under seven years my wife and I will be looking to purchase land and build a home. We'd love to do this in the US, but it's nearly impossible to find a county that allows for what we intend.

We plan to build a natural home. Preferably cob, but straw-bale is an option as well. Once the home is built, we will move on to planting a permaculture food forest. Ideally we'd like to do this on 5-10 acres of land in a zone 7 climate, but I'm looking for any and all suggestions.

Do you live somewhere, or know of somewhere (either in the US or abroad) that allows for natural building of this sort? If so could you please advise, so we can investigate further?

I really do not want to compromise on the build. No stick frames, no cement foundation; I'm talking earthen walls, a green roof and a stone base. Completely sustainable.

If the area you are suggesting is outside of the US, can you also give insight into land-owner/residency requirements?

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I don't know what japanese building regulations are like, but have a look at this cabin I own in Nagano
www.airbnb.com...

it cost under $40000 australian as is.

with a little research it might be ideal for what you want

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MyrTheSeeker

Missouri does, I live in this state and have checked it out.We also have a village here of people like you in the northwest corner of the state called Running Rabbit village. You can look them up on the internet.They have cob house etc.And give classes on how to build.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
move to costa ricka

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Cob homes in Oregon:

cob cottage

I'm not far from there, the climate is 8A or B, abundant rain all winter and quite dry May through October or so. Rare frosts. You'll have to do the research yourself on the true code requirements but most of Oregon away from Portland and the I-5 corridor is extremely rural and undeveloped. Millions of acres are Bureau of Land Management land (BLM) and it's possible the land can be rented rather than bought.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

That looks like a really interesting property. My wife and I have intended to live for a while in Japan for some time now, but things just haven't lined up. We'll see what the future holds.

We are looking for unimproved land, though. The allure of building a home perfectly suited to us is too great to buy someone else's house.

We'll definitely keep your cabin in mind if we decide to vacation there though.

By any chance, do you know what citizenship requirements are like in Japan, or what the limitations are for non-residents to purchase land?

reply to post by Dimithae

Dimithae, did you mean Dancing Rabbit? I keep up with them on Facebook.

I'm still unsure about joining a community...

Do you know if their ecovillage is in violation of any local code, or has it all been approved by the county?

Have you found that the state of Missouri always allows alternative builds, or do they just tend to turn a blind eye? I fear building under a council that turns the blind eye one day, only to enforce a code the next. I've seen too many horror stories, and would like to buy somewhere where it is all in writing.

reply to post by spartacus699

Spartacus699, what can you tell me about Costa Rica?

reply to post by signalfire

Yes, I've been considering Oregon a lot lately. I'm not sure any of these structures are actually technically allowed, though.

The reason I've not done code research myself to a great degree is that it tends to change for every county. That's why I'm polling to see if there is anyone with personal experience that I can draw from as a starting point.

What is Bureau of Land Management land? Can it be purchased, or only rented?

Thank you all for your input!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Call it a deer camp and they will not even look at the thing like a house. It will need a septic system on the site and also will need a well permit. It depends where you go. Camps up here are taxed but do not need to be up to code. The hay bale walls should be filled with clay and then coated with a stucco finish on both sides. That should keep the deer from eating your house and the birds from hauling it away to build nests.
It also makes it fire resistant.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Yes Dancing rabbit is the one,sorry very tired today.And no they are not in violation of any codes there.I was just saying that in the rural areas in missouri, the codes aren't very strict at all.In major cities like St.Louis you couldn't even try.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Probably a fair point, Rickymouse, but as I stated, I'm not looking to skirt any codes. We'll be living on this property for the rest of our lives, and if we can buy enough land, we plan to invite others as well. Everything needs to be legit.

On the septic note: we would prefer to compost.

We did grow up in Michigan; South West Michigan, anyway. Nothing but farms and factories down there, but I've had my fair share of trips to the beautiful UP. It's gorgeous, but having grown up in that climate, we have no desire to live there all-seasons.

How do you live there?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

As long as you are eating organic, the manure we produce can be used to grow our own foods. A simple outhouse at a camp is not allowable anymore by law, it needs a tank. If your bacteria are not bad and are acceptable to your body, their chemicals will not harm you if moderately consumed.. They could harm others though.

For fertilizer, mixing pee with wood ashes will neutralize the lye and make good fertilizer out of the ashes. I am not sure of the percentages, the research was done in Europe and the article did not address the particulars of the research. I suppose litmus paper could be used to test for acidity. depending on what is needed for the soil conditions and desired crops.

Here is something that may help you. All animals, including people fix nitrogen in their urine. This nitrogen is good for trees in the right percentage. If you pee near a tree occasionally, you are helping the tree, and on top of that adding the proper nitrogen helps to make trees less flammable. Is it really bad to go behind a tree and pee, it is an instinct to help the tree. When you eat blueberries or raspberries when picking them, you often have to pee....Why....it is the intent of the plant to gain necessary nutrients so it can survive. We are designed to fit into nature but we are told that nature is not efficient. We are being brainwashed.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Rickymouse, I'm not implying that I'd use a pit toilet. Has MI banned the use of composting toilets as well?

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I don't think it has.

new topics

top topics

join