It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Advice to Living Off Grid

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Tucket

spartacus699

Tucket
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Move to a mountainous region in Ecuador next to a stream. Ecuador is cheap, warm, and safe enough. Dig a hole for a bathroom. Ride your horse into town whenever you need satellite.

get real you'd be eaten alive by mosiquitos and or a boa constrictor that or you'll die of heat exhaustion

Speaking as someone whos spent time there, I must say that you have no idea what your talking about.
Did you miss the part where i said "mountainous region."
Different world than Amazon.
And by mountainous, I dont mean snow covered peaks. I mean 25/77 average temp during the day all year round. Ecuador is ideal for off the grid. Just have to learn spanish.

What part of ecuador are you talking about? If someone went there with some basic tools could they create a home and be able to live off the land? Sounds interesting if what you're saying it true. Maybe I'll have to check it out someday.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

There are basically two ways to get pressure: gravity-fed and pressurized. Most wells use pressure, because it is less susceptible to wind/storm damage and is inherently sealed against trash and organisms.

A typical deep well uses around a one-horsepower pump connected to two poly lines that extend into the well itself. Water is forced through one line, through a venturi at the bottom of the lines, and back up. The venturi causes the flow to pull additional water out of the well itself. That water is then stored inside a pressurized tank for use whenever and wherever needed. My well ran for 40 years without any maintenance; I had to install a new pump and venturi finally a few years ago.

There are, of course, additional components, like an air valve to maintain the proper amount of air in the tank, but there are tons of web sites that give good detail on how to hook up a deep well. Shallow wells are similar, but usually only need one line into the well.

Gravity fed systems use a large container set high in the air to provide the pressure. Water has to be initially pumped into the container either from a well or an above-ground source. Use caution on above-ground sources as they can easily be contaminated with nasty little bugs and trash you really don't want to be drinking. Especially if you are not used to survival living, one sip of contaminated water can be potentially lethal. Make sure trash can't get into that container either; it can clog up lines and create a big headache and a lot of work for later. That always seems to happen when you really need some water, too.

As was mentioned, pipe size has nothing to do with pressure in this context, only flow rate. The largest lines we have for water distribution are 3/4" PVC. Most are 1/2" PVC.

I recommend making the building around the pump and tank out of concrete block, burying the underground lines well below the frost line, and insulating everywhere you can. Frozen water lines are a major pain. If there is a danger of freezing, running water will not freeze as fast as still water; leave faucets dripping in heated areas and have valves to turn water off and drain the lines to unheated areas. Also, leave room for one drop light with a heat lamp in it inside the building, just in case you need it. 60 watts is all we use, and only when temperatures get bitter.

We run about 45-50 PSI and to be honest, that is pushing things. The pressure switch that controls the pump has an adjustment for the minimum and maximum pressure. Just be sure you don't try to set the maximum at more than the pump is rated at, or you'll burn it up pretty quick. Also, any time you do anything to the system, watch that pump cycle through one complete cycle... from low-pressure turn-on to high pressure shut-off and back to low-pressure turn-on. We don't have a lot of trouble with switch contacts unless we've been tinkering with them.

To locate a good well, I recommend finding someone who knows how to "water-witch." Yes, it sounds silly, no, it does not have a scientific basis we can explain, but it works. I have used it many times in the past. A well-driller will drill the well for you; expect to spend a couple thousand dollars (prices around here) for a well, depending on how deep it is (well-drillers charge by the foot).

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

THIS is the best idea I've heard so far, aside from the fact that even the occasional sighting of a boat on the river doesn't go without notice ESPECIALLY one that's large enough to shelter in.
I have done the van life in a ford conversion van for about a year until the trans went south.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmicexplorer

as for energy solar really is the best, we use it and it's great and low maintenance, as for air conditioning my husband is working on a permanent magnet generator we have a few prototypes but nothing perfect yet

as for water - if you own the land you can always dig a well, or buy land that has a fresh water source like a creek and then build a water tower and use a solar pump but best is to use gravity for water pressure until you build something you like as everyone has a preference

as for internet - yes there are tons of satellites you can buy for middle of nowhere internet and tv best is to look up the ones for rv's they are easier to set up and need less to work correctly.

best way to remove waste- there is a great product made for rv's who wish to be 100% green . its a hose that you connect to your sewer and it uses water pressure to macerate the solids coming from your tank, then you simply point the composte water to wherever you need water in your garden. We haven't bought one yet but i know a few people who own them and it is an awesome tool for living off grid and being green for earth.

As for locations that is a matter of personal choice one person may love the desert and one may prefer the mountain while a third may love the jungle- so that one my dear sir is totally up to you
One thing to consider when choosing your off grid land is building codes- it is harder and harder to find land that doesn't have strict building code enforcement but finding land with the least or no building code enforcements is key to homesteading and going fully off grid. Also remember to buy less land than you can afford and prepay your land taxes up as many years ahead as possible.
edit on 29-4-2015 by Thisisfun2015 because: forgot to add building code info

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Here is a new video on internet that might work:

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

1. Best source of energy for my home to be off grid.

LP gas, and have a biofuel system (LP gas never goes bad, and you can make it with waste/leftovers, etc.)
No panels/batteries to go bad. www.instructables.com...
For the principle, at least. I've read some better articles on this though.

2. Best source of freshwater to have water in my home..off grid.

A well. Either an electric (see above) or manual pump.

3. Best way to remove waste....off grid.

For non-bio waste, burn it. For bio waste, see number 1, the biofuel system.

4. Best locations to live off grid.

This is like asking what is the best firearm. Personally, I would choose somewhere tropical, because it is much harder to survive in winter when snow is involved.

5. Getting the internet in a remote area.

Really depends on your location. A few different options. Satellite is pretty much the best in my opinion.
www.ehow.com...

edit on 30-4-2015 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I am loving this thread-- really great advice and links from everyone! So much experience and wisdom here. Thank you all. I wonder where the op is now? Last visited in June of 2014, so I am hoping he is well on his way to his adventure!

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join