It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you don't believe it is about oil, eh?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Well thanks for the clarification, and anyway US seems very much interested in the Iraqi oil to let the subject die, it seems that Iraqi oil is first priority of this administration anyway the way plans has been drawn to ensure that is tap, developed and taking care off.

All by our american oil companies.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird

Originally posted by marg6043
And why are we so dependant on middle eastern oil, to the point of going to extreme to control it.

It's sad that people believe this...

Saudi Arabia produces more oil than any other country in the world. Because of this they export more oil than any other country in the world. The US consumes more oil than any other country in the world. So....why not go to the biggest exporter?
We're "friends" with them, we don't need to control anything.

We, believe it or not, aren't dependent on Middle Eastern oil. I know, I know...it may be hard for you to believe that right now. It may be a shock to your system, since people who just go by what they hear are telling you we are.

Here are some facts, they forgot to mention.
About 55% of our oil is imported.
Around 17% comes from Saudi Arabia. I'm not sure what the numbers are now but during the oil for food program we boosted our imports from Iraq to about 11% (before - and when we had good relations with Iraq - it was less than 5%). We do not import a significant amount from the rest of the Mid. East (we actually get more oil from the UK than from the other countries in the middle east.)
All this to say, less than half of all our imported oil comes from the middle east.

So where does the majority of our (imported) oil come from?

15% from Canada, 15% from Mexico, 14% from Venezuela....

Not middle eastern countries.

Wrong! We invaded Iraq because of oil. At least that's what one of Blair's advisor says:

U.S., U.K. Waged War on Iraq Because of Oil, Blair Adviser Says

By James Kirkup

London, May 1 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. and U.K. went to war against Iraq because of the Middle East country's oil reserves, an adviser to British Prime Minister Tony Blair said.

Sir Jonathan Porritt, head of the Sustainable Development Commission, which advises Blair's government on ecological issues, said the prospect of winning access to Iraqi oil was ''a very large factor'' in the allies' decision to attack Iraq in March.

"I don't think the war would have happened if Iraq didn't have the second-largest oil reserves in the world,'' Porritt said in a Sky News television interview.

quote.bloomberg.com...

It is in the Middle East that the real grab for world power will be played out. According to Duncan and Youngquist's model, by 2007 the Middle East will dominate the world in oil production. This will be the last region where oil production will peak, according to Duncan and Youngquist's model, sometime around 2011. And the oil of the Middle East lies largely in the provinces of five countries: Iran, Iraq, The United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia.

Yes, Saudi Arabi has close ties to the United States and are likely to be players in the oil coup. The exceptions are Iraq and Iran. Iraq's ability to export oil has been severely restricted since the first Gulf War. Likewise, Iran faced stiff embargoes following the fall of the Shah in the 1970's. However, in neither of these countries does the oil coup have clear control over oil resources. Likewise, both countries are targeted as terrorist states. Right now, Israel and powers in the United States are lobbying strongly to make Iraq the next target in the "War Against Terrorism." Rumor has it that this war is slated to begin early in 2002. This author would suggest that, after finishing off Saddam Hussein, the oil coup will then set its sites on Iran.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Still looking for which part of my post was wrong...

You post doesn't disprove anything I said

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Still looking for which part of my post was wrong...

You post doesn't disprove anything I said

It proves that we attacked Iraq because of the oil. BTW, Iraq is part of the Middle East. It's so typical of people like you to simply say we attacked Iraq based soley on terrorism.

[edit on 19-11-2004 by mrmulder]

[edit on 19-11-2004 by mrmulder]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by moxyone
"Timber companies are also excited about access to Arctic timber reserves from accessible Arctic seaports."

Last time I checked, trees didn't grow in the artic.

I could be wrong.

I believe the arctic in this instance is made up of more than just snow. There is wildlife and forrest as well in Alaska.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder
It proves that we attacked Iraq because of the oil. BTW, Iraq is part of the Middle East. It's so typical of people like you to simply say we attacked Iraq based soley on terrorism.

wtf?

1. I never said we attacked Iraq because of terrorism.
2. I never said we didn't attack Iraq for oil
3. Your post doesn't do a good job proving we attacked Iraq for oil, fyi.
4. I know Iraq is in the mid. east. Not sure where you're heading with that one...

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   

wtf?

1. I never said we attacked Iraq because of terrorism.
2. I never said we didn't attack Iraq for oil

I apologize for that. You're right.

3. Your post doesn't do a good job proving we attacked Iraq for oil, fyi.
4. I know Iraq is in the mid. east. Not sure where you're heading with that one...

I am nearly trying to point out that we are dependant on oil from the Middle East and we are there now to try and control it. Yes, we are also dependant on oil from Mexico, Canada and Venuzuala. You are right about that btw. My point is wherever there is oil left in the world, the United States wants to control it all in the end.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Actually from my understanding they are more interested in tapping into the Caspian sea and bringing the oil down through Afghanistan and Iraq. Secondly many people also forget that most of the administration has money in the defense industry, and the defense industry profits from the death of foreigners (and our own soldiers to boot).

"Onward yea Military Industrial Complex, and seek forth God's wrath to make us richer!"

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   

My point is wherever there is oil left in the world, the United States wants to control it all in the end.

Looks like we're not the only ones....

news.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2004/11/19/wchina19.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/11/19/ixworld.html

Tension rises as China scours the globe for energy
By Richard Spencer
(Filed: 19/11/2004)

China's insatiable demand for energy is prompting fears of financial and diplomatic collisions around the globe as it seeks reliable supplies of oil from as far away as Brazil and Sudan.
Increased car usage in China is creating a high demand for petrol
The connection, however, lies in an order issued last year by President Hu Jintao to seek secure oil supplies abroad preferably ones which could not be stopped by America in case of conflict over Taiwan.

The submarine incident was put down to a "technical error" by the Chinese government, which apologised to Japan.

But even before the incident the People's Daily, the government mouthpiece, had commented that competition over the East China Sea between the two countries was "only a prelude of the game between China and Japan in the arena of international energy".

The Brazil trade deal included funding for a joint oil-drilling and pipeline programme at a cost that experts said would add up to three times the cost of simply buying oil on the market.
In September, China threatened to veto any move to impose sanctions on Sudan over the atrocities in Darfur. It has invested $3 billion in the African country's oil industry, which supplies it with seven per cent of its needs.

Then, this month, it said that it opposed moves to refer Iran's nuclear stand-off with the International Atomic Energy Agency to the United Nations Security Council.

A week before, China's second biggest state oil firm had signed a $70 billion deal for oilfield and natural gas development with Iran, which already supplies 13 per cent of China's needs.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Here is my question:

If we attacked Iraq because of oil, why do we do such a poor job of guarding it? Wouldn't we have swooped in, destroyed the Iraqi army, and then used a majority of our soldiers protecting the fields and pipelines? It seems like every week we hear about an attack shutting down oil production, yet our troops are spread out all over Iraq trying to quell insurgents who are determined to kill their own people.

If this governments goal was to invade Iraq for oil, they are doing a terrible job at it.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   

My point is wherever there is oil left in the world, the United States wants to control it all in the end.

Looks like we're not the only ones....

news.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2004/11/19/wchina19.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/11/19/ixworld.html

Tension rises as China scours the globe for energy
By Richard Spencer
(Filed: 19/11/2004)

China's insatiable demand for energy is prompting fears of financial and diplomatic collisions around the globe as it seeks reliable supplies of oil from as far away as Brazil and Sudan.
Increased car usage in China is creating a high demand for petrol
The connection, however, lies in an order issued last year by President Hu Jintao to seek secure oil supplies abroad preferably ones which could not be stopped by America in case of conflict over Taiwan.

The submarine incident was put down to a "technical error" by the Chinese government, which apologised to Japan.

But even before the incident the People's Daily, the government mouthpiece, had commented that competition over the East China Sea between the two countries was "only a prelude of the game between China and Japan in the arena of international energy".

The Brazil trade deal included funding for a joint oil-drilling and pipeline programme at a cost that experts said would add up to three times the cost of simply buying oil on the market.
In September, China threatened to veto any move to impose sanctions on Sudan over the atrocities in Darfur. It has invested $3 billion in the African country's oil industry, which supplies it with seven per cent of its needs.

Then, this month, it said that it opposed moves to refer Iran's nuclear stand-off with the International Atomic Energy Agency to the United Nations Security Council.

A week before, China's second biggest state oil firm had signed a $70 billion deal for oilfield and natural gas development with Iran, which already supplies 13 per cent of China's needs.

You're absolutely right about that That's Just Weird! Because the world's oil is running out there is a race to grab what's left.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Okay - I agree it's about oil, no question - BUT - I suspect it may also be about water. ...Most of the water in that whole area flows through Iraq and like the rest of the world, everyone around is running dry. ...Oil USED to be liquid gold, but now it's water... Just ask T. Boone Pickens.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I don't know about their water it has become so polluted that is a hazard to drink it.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I am thinking it is about the oil,..indirectly though.

I mean, look around ats,... the oil,.. the dollar,... the cash flow.

Iraq was successfully trading in Euro's just prior to the latest war. The dollar needs to be accepted and used as a viable oil currency to keep the need for dollars elevated. Dollarization.

Now imagine if this was not the case,... what would be the first,.. and most devastating thing to happen.

USD currency collapse.

The oil would not matter then,.. short or long supplies.

When a country is an oil producer and is selling internationally, they deal with countries that have stockpiled some USD for this purpose.

But when a producer country only accepts Euro's for example,.. then oil buying countries have to stockpile Euro's to be able to easily make a deal,... meaning for an environment that has significant less reason to bother with USD.

And it is the oil-purchasing countries that have helped finance the US government deficits and budgets.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join