It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Desolation of Smaug IMAX 3D

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Went to see it Friday night, now I haven't been to IMAX in years and the last time I saw 3D was like 7th grade, so I didn't know what to expect. But let me tell you folks, HOLY HELL it was THE most insane movie experience I've ever had. I have never been so entertained at the movies in my entire life. If you have a chance to see it in this format, and you're a big fan of the franchise, I highly recommend it.

I was skeptical at first, thinking I'd get a headache and it be like just a few parts that 'jump' out at you, not the case. It's more like you're looking into it. For a while it was honestly almost too real looking. And it almost felt like I was watching a play, the frame rate was INSANE.

And Smaug the destroyer, the calamity, the magnificent, was truly the most awesome thing I've seen on a movie screen.

So I encourage you to see it in IMAX 3D, it's freaking expensive, but if you've been waiting a year to see this movie, the cost is completely worth it, friends.

Normal movies now pale in comparison.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Went to see it yesterday in 3D, good movie if even if you not familiar with the story. There were some stunning action sequences worthy of 3D.

I'll try to check out the next and final instalment at an IMAX theatre!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by opuscosmos

I've realized that's the only way I can see the next installment. So worth the 20 bucks.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Has 3D tech changed so radically in the past 3 years?

I ask honestly b/c ever since I took my boy to see Megamind in 3D I swore 3D off b/c the effects gave ME a megamind. (migraine)

If you view these films in 3D often have you noticed a significant improvement?

thx in advance.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by schadenfreude

I was worried about a headache myself, but it didn't bother me in the slightest. Instead of the movie 'popping out' at you, this was more about depth, like looking into the movie. It was so strange, I honestly felt like sometimes I was ON the set. It was a little unnerving at first. But I got used to it, and it made the movie all the more enjoyable. And I don't know what frame rate he used, but it reminded me sometimes of how BBC programs look. Almost like a play, if that makes sense? And the cgi was seriously amazing, I usually get tired of heavy cgi effect, but these looked so natural, you couldn't tell really. It didn't just look like a video game. And I'm serious about Smaug . . . . SOOO INSANE!

Apparently Peter Jackson said that IMAX 3D was the best way to view the movie. And I have to say I agree.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

schadenfreude
Has 3D tech changed so radically in the past 3 years?

I ask honestly b/c ever since I took my boy to see Megamind in 3D I swore 3D off b/c the effects gave ME a megamind. (migraine)

If you view these films in 3D often have you noticed a significant improvement?

thx in advance.

It was the high frame rate. According to articles posted by comicbookmovie and collider (movie websites) this movie was filmed at 48 frames per seconds in order to smoothly play it back at the same rate (rather than convert it and inevitably lose quality), which is closer to what the human eye actually experiences in real life and trumps the jarring clash between the two disjointed 24 fps films which are superposed in order to generate the three dimensional effect. In short, the frame rate is what does the magic, producing a comparatively seamless coordination between the two reels necessary to give you your eye-popping quality as experienced by the OP.

It was a spectacular decision by the director which clearly paid off. This will surely pave the way to further movies incorporating the doubled frame rate in order to more effectively engineer the results which blew the OP away.
edit on 23-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Thank you both for your answers.

great help.

i my actually pony up the dough then for this & the fam.

top topics

join