It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another thread about bitcoins! YAY

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I know, there's probably more about bitcoins than most of us would like there to be, but I feel like if we don't get ideologically attached to bitcoins, we can make lots of money while the getting is good!

I don't like you all, nor do I pretend to like you all. But here is a chance to be making free money if you're hurting for it (and most of us are). If you don't want to take this opportunity because you are truly dead-broke and cannot afford to lost a single hundred dollar bill - then do what you gotta keep doing. But for the rest of us - the slightly more fortunate, who can afford to lose some money (which would go towards buying extra bananas, anyway, who cares bah, healthy food) we should really think about moving with this movement.

It's not just 'currency', it's an architecture, still in the works, as it were. If the architecture is not to our liking, we change the architecture. Not like fiat currency, the architecture was dont, the bricks were laid long ago, before many of us had a chance to say anything, we were mostly blind-sided, and those of us who weren't - guess what, saw the potential of EASY MONEY and look at them now...

Wealth is created by us, distributed by us, and accounted for by us. The ALMIGHTY DOLLAR is not created by us, is not distributed by us, and cannot be accounted for by us. So, which, I have to ask, holds more intrinsic value? A monetary system which we do not control, or one which we do control?

A lot of people think it's a scam. It's easy to think that way. It's even easy to think in a way "well, the feds are just gonna get all the bitcoins"

but bitcoins is not the be-all. We do not get ideologically attached to 'bitcoin', if the feds take control of 'bitcoin', then we say, good! have it! it was broken anyway! and make another, like litecoin, or whatever, and then what? The feds just gonna keep buying all the crypto-coins till they go dead broke and end up needing food-coins (food-stamp bitcoin lol) to feed themselves living in shelters (for housecoins) and having to panhandle on the internet for PityCoins?

The way I see it, a lot of people are scared and confused because they haven't fully grasped what it is. They say the 'anonimity makes it dangerous', while some may think that is the case, it's not really as 'anonymous' as it's made out to be. A bitcoin user is a node which has within it the history of transactions... I can't explain it near as well as this video, check it out:

It is a 20 minute long or so video, but definitely take the time and educate yourself, and then ask yourself:
money controlled by we, or money controlled by the not-we?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 3OGRE3

The power of Bitcoin will resonate in one form or another:

The year 2013 saw at least three bitcoin analyst reports from financial investment firms, an astonishing achievement for a young five-year-old digital currency. In some economic circles, bitcoin has slowly entered the ‘reserve currency’ lexicon.

www.coindesk.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

3OGRE3
I don't like you all, nor do I pretend to like you all. But here is a chance to be making free money if you're hurting for it (and most of us are).

After everything that's happened to the world...you still choose to believe in something for nothing?
Nothing is free.

and those of us who weren't - guess what, saw the potential of EASY MONEY and look at them now...

The only people who made "easy money" (as you worded it) were involved on the ground floor.
That time has passed.

So, which, I have to ask, holds more intrinsic value? A monetary system which we do not control, or one which we do control?

The State will never officially adopt a system of currency that it can't control.
If they can't control it...they'll destroy it.

A lot of people think it's a scam. It's easy to think that way. It's even easy to think in a way "well, the feds are just gonna get all the bitcoins"

Can you blame them?

www.zerohedge.com...

Criminals are in love with BTC.
It's the only thing easier to steal than real money.

Good Luck with your mining.

-Peace-
edit on 23-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Bitcoin, IMHO, is just another virtual currency that you cannot hold in your hand, it only exists in cyberspace.....and, as such, is exceptionally vulnerable. One keystroke can wipe you out.

Investing in this is a bit like playing with Forex in the stock market (foreign exchange), one of the most notoriously hard areas to make money in.

As a veteran of the stock market message boards, your OP reads like a pump and dump scheme. Try to get as many people into it as you can for your bosses, to make the stock go up. Then the people in the know can sell high and bail, leaving a bunch of suckers holding the bag. I've been in this game too long to believe somebody who posts anonymously on the internet that they should invest in something, 'cause it's a "sure thing".

Saying you don't like us all either....classy touch.

I hope you make money on it, but as for me, I focus on things that I can get my hands on, that cannot be deleted or hacked. I'm going to sit out this bit coin thing. Good luck to the rest of y'all.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

You can whine, gripe and moan all day for the rest of the year, fact of the matter is, whether it be Bitcoin or something else, a cryptocurrency devoid of government control will happen someday.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Zcustosmorum

You can whine, gripe and moan all day for the rest of the year, fact of the matter is, whether it be Bitcoin or something else, a cryptocurrency devoid of government control will happen someday.

You don't know that for a fact.
No one does.
It's disingenuous to imply otherwise.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Eryiedes

Zcustosmorum

You don't know that for a fact.
No one does.
It's disingenuous to imply otherwise.

-Peace-

Well pardon me, all I'll say is, time will tell

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Beware, that's a double-edged sword you're holding...

-Peace-

edit on 23-12-2013 by Eryiedes because: Added Link

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Eryiedes
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Beware, that's a double-edged sword you're holding...

-Peace-

Don't worry about me, I'm a fully trained ninja

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
So isnt one of the problems with the current dollar, outside of the fed just raping its value left and right, is that is a faith based system and there is nothing actually backing the dollar? Where is the difference in bitcon? I can see people are already talking about how it will just be taken over and abused so why change the current broken thing to a newer not quite as broke system that has the doors open for the big rip off? Im sure im wrong about something in here so feel free to let me know

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

FissionSurplus
Bitcoin, IMHO, is just another virtual currency that you cannot hold in your hand, it only exists in cyberspace.....and, as such, is exceptionally vulnerable. One keystroke can wipe you out.

Investing in this is a bit like playing with Forex in the stock market (foreign exchange), one of the most notoriously hard areas to make money in.

As a veteran of the stock market message boards, your OP reads like a pump and dump scheme. Try to get as many people into it as you can for your bosses, to make the stock go up. Then the people in the know can sell high and bail, leaving a bunch of suckers holding the bag. I've been in this game too long to believe somebody who posts anonymously on the internet that they should invest in something, 'cause it's a "sure thing".

Saying you don't like us all either....classy touch.

I hope you make money on it, but as for me, I focus on things that I can get my hands on, that cannot be deleted or hacked. I'm going to sit out this bit coin thing. Good luck to the rest of y'all.

I actually could not help but chuckle at myself while reading your post. You're absolutely spot-on, though. I do have a vested interest in bitcoin. But I'm going to assure you that I don't work for a company that plans to 'pump n dump'. My agenda is, since I don't have a lot of bitcoin (at the moment, I think I have about 700 satoshis) to ensure that the price stays relatively high so that when I have the ability to buy in, the price will (hopefully) be affordable and profitable.
But remembering what I wrote, in the mindset of what you're saying literally made me lol. Thanks for the insight, too, btw

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Sremmos80
So isnt one of the problems with the current dollar, outside of the fed just raping its value left and right, is that is a faith based system and there is nothing actually backing the dollar? Where is the difference in bitcon?

Hehehehe...Bitcon...I like it.
I agree with you sir/ma'am.
I do strongly believe that the nature of losing BTC's is a serious flaw in their design in that a lost password or misplaced laptop permanantly removes the coins from the 21 million possible in circulation...never to be replaced.
How many have already been forever lost to the system through carelessness or theft?
It's really hard to get past such a major fatal flaw.

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I can't help sometimes but be reminded of the myriad of commercials and ads hawking Gold as the ultimate saftey net and great investment for everyone.

Well, I believe it was a great investment for those with mega bucks and close attention...but it was something to see in the ads running right to and beyond the peak and fall of the recent gold market. An attempt to create a self fulfilling prophecy is what I think that was. Big money convincing small money to risk and lose En masse ...so big money got bigger.

Big money made big money, I'd imagine. Running up and shorting down. Win Win. Little people got hosed with freezing water.

I hope the vegas style ups and downs of Bitcoin don't hurt too many small people.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 3OGRE3

Hell, I just wish I could get the damn set up to work!!!

I have the GUI miner (latest version) Got my wallet set up.

Got set up on Slush's pool.

Click on mining, and all it does is sit there "connecting".......checked and double checked everything too.

Getting a new graphics card tomorrow. Going from a 9500 GT to a GTX 660 Signature.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Try coinotron pool its rather newbie friendly and a 9800gt will cost more in power than u make same with all nvidia if your going to mine buy a ati or lose money on power

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by markovian

Good to know! Thanks! I was just wanting to experiment with it anyways. I bought the new card for playing Neverwinter and such.....

End of experiment! lol

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   
FTW, graphics cards are NOT cost effective for mining and the electric bill will get hit.

The viable option are Block Eruptors which range from 30-50 quid, or you can get the Furys which are a couple hundred, then there's the high end stuff.
edit on 23-12-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Minninf litecoins was/is still viable mainly depends on ur power cost if u don't pay for power like me than its all profit

Also other alt coin booms u can make out good on

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
some alt coins that i think are worth looking out for/in to:

dogecoin (maybe, maybe not)
feathercoin
quarkcoin
novacoin
namecoin
peer2peercoin

feathercoin is pretty damn easy to mine, too.
LTC is getting hard at this point, for me, not much profit since I pay for power, but also, ltc is getting lower payouts making it not necessarily worth my time or effort.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I said it before and I'll say it again.
Thieves just love BTC.

www.realclearpolitics.com...

-Peace-

top topics

<<   2 >>

join