It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A UP ME DUCK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Yea from Nottingham (england) thats how we greet round here lol
spent hours on here 'lurking' thought it's time to say hi to the best forum on the nett

HI yall

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Hello and welcome to ya. Glad you joined up.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Helloooooo! and Croeso!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
welcome, glad to have another person here from another country, we Americans need all the outside perspective we can get....but, those Kiwis....Jesus, guys, you need to stay away from all those sheep, looking at fuzzy bums all day is baaaaaaad

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
" A up me duck"....

Can you break it down for me ? Trying to wrap my brain around the words...nothing that makes sense comes to mind...

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

Me too

Thought it was about DD

edit on 083131p://bMonday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I used to live in Stoke on Trent, the day I realised it was time to leave was when I opened my door to somebody and " hello duckie!" came out of my mouth.
My brother (we're from Yorkshire) answer his phone "ay up?"

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

MarioOnTheFly
" A up me duck"....

Can you break it down for me ? Trying to wrap my brain around the words...nothing that makes sense comes to mind...

You need to hear the accent for it to make sense I guess. It's like "Hey, what's up duck" and duck is like calling someone 'pet' or 'chicken' just a nice greeting lol

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 1322BNM

Hi 1322,Welcome i'm married to a Nottingham lass,so know the saying well

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

That's really interesting, how do you think it originated?

I have a lot of old Appalachian slang that pops into my head every once and a while, my kids think I am nuts, well I am .......a little

cockeyed comes to mind

BTW,Welcome OP
www.dancingonmountaintops.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

In Stoke just across from Notts they believe ay up duck is derived from Old English hello duke for whatever quaint old reasoning behind it. Hello btw to the new guy

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 1322BNM

Welcome to ATS...enjoy the ride.

Des

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

ooooh i see, they say in Appalachia it is, or once was holding the most phrases from when they came over from the Old World
edit on 103131p://bMonday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I think England is quite unique for it's accents, take an hour long drive and you feel like you've entered a foreign country!

I think it probably comes from after the Romans left England, there was a King (usually of different national decent) that ruled over separate areas, and probably enforced a certain kind of speech, plus putting up walls and not associating with other parts of England meant that the language developed differently.

It can get quite difficult at times, I work in a call centre for the NHS and a fast and accurate phone call can be life or death, asking someone to repeat themselves because of an accent is not a rare situation.
edit on 23-12-2013 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

WilsonWilson
I used to live in Stoke on Trent, the day I realised it was time to leave was when I opened my door to somebody and " hello duckie!" came out of my mouth.
My brother (we're from Yorkshire) answer his phone "ay up?"

duckie..its duck, supposedly from the term duchess but its only a small trip down the A roads now so its hardly surprising that good ideas travel

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Maxatoria
duckie..its duck, supposedly from the term duchess

I did not know that! Learn something new every day

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

1322BNM

Yea from Nottingham (england) thats how we greet round here lol
spent hours on here 'lurking' thought it's time to say hi to the best forum on the nett

HI yall

I am from Woodthorpe ,welcome to ATS .

A up me duck ==> Eyup Me Duck .

Eyup was the redlight district of Konstantinapolis . The Crusaders had camped on the outskirts of Konstantinapolis and whenever they wanted to visit the redlight district , they were asked by their camp commanders ;

Where are you going soldier ?

They would reply ; Eyup me Duck !!!.

This saying goes back to 13th century . In fact if you visit Road to Jerusalem , the inn keepers would probably tell you the same story .

Here is a page you probably would like .

1000 things not to do in Nottingham

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Some great pubs in Nottingham, Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem being one of them, beer, atmosphere & staff are all very good, just mind yer 'Ed when you are inside i.e. duck or grouse!

The Bell in the square is another good 'un with excellent tours of the caves below, very enlightening.

I hail from Wales where phrases such as by year, up down over the mountain, whose coat is that jacket? and some crazy place names such as I strangled Alice (Ystradgynlais), un is a do do (Ynysddu) etc. come from.

The differing dialects from North to South have to be heard to be believed, not for nothing are the North Walians known as "Goggs"!

As for that rather long place name from The Menai Straits, Anglesey www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk...
Learn for yer selves...

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Wow
Great welcome thanks everyone,i should have thought using our local greeting would maybe confuse people,but great replys iv'e learnt where my local saying comes from maybe - i'm a infarmation junkie i gues just love this site
Will try and contribute my bit,not good on forums,in fact never joined one before so i'd better be carefull or i can see me geting 'blazed' lol
Thanks again for making the first bit easier

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Eyup- I'm from up t road (York). There are a lot from the Uk.
Watch the board light up when there is an incidence in say South Yorkshire. Merry Xmas.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join