posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:22 AM
For those who are not aware what an EpiPen is, it is essentially a large one-use syringe which contains a chemical called epinephrine. This is used as
an emergency treatment for life threatening allergies, a condition known as anaphylaxis. A common form of anaphylaxis is an allergy to peanuts,
although some people are allergic to other kinds of nuts, cigarette smoke, rubber, and plenty of other things, both natural, and human-made. The
treatment for anaphylaxis is derived from a military application for treating those who have been exposed to nerve gas.
I work as a teacher, and earlier in the year I had to sit a short course on anaphylaxis and the administration of the EpiPen (and its rival the
Anapen), as my workplace has a student suffering from this condition. It is an extremely high priority that all staff are aware of anyone suffering
from anaphylaxis, and know what to do if they suffer an attack. A person who has an anaphylactic reaction can die within a few minutes.The EpiPen not
a cure, it simply can postpone the anaphylactic reaction buying a little time in which to seek proper medical treatment.
The reason I'm writing this thread is that I came across this article today, where a teenage girl was denied access to a Pen as she did not have a
prescription, and as a result she died. Somewhat depressingly she died outside a pharmacy.
A teenage girl has died outside a pharmacy in Ireland after a staff member refused to give her family an EpiPen to inject her for a nut
allergy because she didn't have a prescription.
Emma Sloan, 14, was out for dinner in Dublin with her family when she accidentally ingested a sauce containing nuts that she mistook for curry, the
Irish Herald reported.
"I'm so angry I was not given the EpiPen to inject her. I was told to bring Emma to an A&E department. Emma was allergic to nuts and was very
careful. How could a peanut kill my child?
I feel that this is a tragic and unnecessary death, and I imagine that the person who did not sell her the Pen must feel shattered. I do feel that it
is unfair to lay the blame on them, as dealing with the health of the general public is a legal minefield, and giving prescription medication without
a prescription can leave one open to large fines and even imprisonment. In my place of work I am not permitted to give a student an aspirin or Panadol
for a headache. I am however permitted to give them an injection via the EpiPen.
It is important to be aware that those suffering from anaphylaxis (especially at the age of the girl in question) should be aware of their condition,
and always have an EpiPen (or whatever proprietary name the epinephrine injector comes under) at hand. I feel that it is unfair of the mother to lay
the blame on the pharmacy. the girl was careless with what she ate (and unfortunately if you suffer anaphylaxis you cannot afford to be careless), and
the girl or someone in her family should have been carrying the Pen. Of course it is a tragedy, and of course the family are going to be devastated,
but I do not feel that laying the blame on the pharmacy (who are constantly navigating a minefield we call the health system) is of any benefit to
edit on 23-12-2013 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)