I will always be a hippie.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
The best years of my life were my years as a so-called hippie. It all went tumbling down into the chaos of drugs and money, but for those few years, we were tasting heaven on earth.

You can say it was a joke, or you might have been there. If you were, you know how special it was.

I will always be a hippie!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

me too....and the music was way out man,mungo jerry,cream,mammas and pappas,yes....allways a hippie..

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

*sigh*

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   

eyeinoz
reply to post by droid56

me too....and the music was way out man,mungo jerry,cream,mammas and pappas,yes....allways a hippie..

For me the psych, folk and acid music of the so-called hippie era was the best part of it (along with open mindedness that has left a mark for sure).

Yes
Hawkwind
Amon Duul
Big Brother and The Holding Company
Zappa
Forest
Pentangle
Bert Jansch
Soft Machine
Incredible String Band (my fave)
and so many others!

However, from afar and as somebody that wasn't even born until 84 (although I have read much about the era) it does seem there were many dangerous flaws in the hippie movement and essentially it never even came close to achieving what it set out to do and ended up being a bit of a stinking mess.

Still great sentiments and much to learn from.
edit on 23-12-2013 by b14warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I was a hippy chic.......
Now I'm a hippy hen!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Now I'm a hippy hen!

Hush nugget.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Well I am only 31 but some of my best years were spent in a hippy commune here in California. Sex, drugs, and music was certainly there, but the communal spirit was what I enjoyed the most. Learned a lot. Not even sure if it's accurate to call it hippy but that's certainly what everyone else called us!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I can see the attraction of the lifestyle-getting baked, getting laid, living off the land, prog rock everywhere, but sometimes there is no going back to the real world for some of them.

An old neighbor once introduced me to a couple who spent years at a commune, they both had to have injections and a swathe of meds to keep them functioning because they fried their brains on drugs, it was sad because they were really nice people but obviously mentally unstable.

But I can't blame them because hippies are pleasant and peaceful people to be around. And besides going off the grid and popping 'shrooms is just the western equivalent of the Ayahuasca rituals or peyote rights of passage, which if done correctly can help you find enlightenment and inner peace, and we could all do with that.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

HIPPY CHRISTMAS! ......man

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Abbie and Jerry, man.

Did you realize that most of the true pioneers at Apple were hippies? And a few years ago I watched a doc on hippies and we, ah, cough, they all looked and dressed like average young people do now. Hippie didn't go anywhere, it's all around and helping the world a little everyday (I just wish all the old hippies would stop eating meat....Jerry and Abbie and DocMLK would have done so by now for sure. Well, maybe not, I think Wavy Gravy still lives up to his name).
edit on 23-12-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I too was a hippie now I call myself a nomad. The freespirit that was set free in those years (1969...) was never able to conform again and it was not because I fried my brains on drugs.

Those years for many of us was an awakening. We looked around and saw the hipocrisy of government, the lies of history and the division of people in their beliefs. We wanted something better and not just weed leagalized. We wanted compassion and love for the world, we wanted to see countries be at peace and work together for the betterment of humanity.

What I miss the most about those years is the love, We loved everything! It was reflected in our lives, our music and our dialogue, "peace" we knew peace was the answer. We formed communes and showed people it could be done. But the masses were not ready for us. But I bet hidden deep in the heart of most preppers you'll find a hippy heart, we were off the grid before it was called a grid. LOL

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I also enjoyed my pseudo-hippy shenanigans and fantastic music back in the day, but I've always been a flower child and now my garden has matured.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The reason Hippies were considered bad back then is because they weren't big consumers. They were a threat to capitalism. Rarely did a Hippie buy things they did not need or use. They spent their money on simple things, things that did not stimulate the economy much.

Remember that most of us were brainwashed to consume more than we need, even the poor will buy unnecessary things and still starve. The people running this economy made credit easier, now most people owe money. This makes us dependent on the system as it is, if we all defy it we will lose everything and be forced to be hippies.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Absolutely spot on!
Happy Hippy Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Me, too!!

Even now, young people ask me from time to time: "You were a hippy, weren't you?"

Yes, well....
yes. Yes, I was....sort of the "college campus kind" - not the commune off-the-grid kind. I loved reading Mother Earth News, and have always dreamed of REALLY living "off the grid." I was born at the tail end of the Baby Boom, and I think many young adults these days are unaware of a couple of things about us (their parents):

We are products of the 60s and 70s, and there's no changing that. It's better, imo, to own up to it, to be honest with the "millennials" about our 'counterculture' experiences and to be genuine and authentically WHO WE ARE.

We made mistakes, we bucked the system, many of us are STILL bucking the system; but yeah, man - it was all about Love. You dig?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

I was born to a pair of happy hippies in 1967. The beliefs and ideals that I was taught faded away when the age of materialism came crashing in like an unwanted guest but I see those beliefs and ideals making a comeback. People are becoming apathetic to greed and materialism and are yearning for a return to what is good. I see it in my own grown children- change is coming!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I try to go to at least one hippy festival a year. Not for the drugs or the sex, firstly because they actually play some talented music, that isn't soulless crap that comes from across the pond that invades our charts.

Secondly for the people there, if you want to meet the nicest people in the world, who will literally invite you to their camp to have dinner with their family just for saying hello, go to a hippy festival.

Best part of my year, every year.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I used to love Mother Earth News. It was the only Magazine I ever personally subscribed to in my life.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
It started for me in 1963, the year Kennedy was assassinated, and we were still doing duck and cover under our desks, and then one day during a drill, I looked my teacher square in the eye, and she looked back at me, and I realized that she realized that our particle board and formica desks weren't going to protect us from a nuclear blast, especially since we were a few miles from Kodak's Hawkeye plant, that made bomb sights, and probably had several nice Russian nukes aimed at it, just for it alone, and with extra nice Russian nukes left over for those of us who might survive the first couple of nukes, nukes with our name on them, nukes just for us.

And I realized that the adults were insane, or delusional. Then Vietnam happened, and Johnson that creep with his felon VP Spiro Agnew and his equally felonious but at least smarter successor Richard Nixon, and we all started realizing that capitalism equaled professional war mongering, and somebody you know came back in a body bag, then several somebodies, and the smart ones went to Canada or just fell off the grid and refused to participate...

The more the straights mocked the hippies, the more the hippies realized they were right.

Capitalism and the joke of 'justice for all', worse thing ever to happen to the planet.

How did it happen that a natural plant, whose chemical constituents have natural receptors in every cell in the human body got demonized and made illegal, (because it makes you think truly clearly, perhaps?), but killing en masse is somehow okey-doke, as long as the Pentagon and Dow Chemical and GE do it? Because they're on the stock market Big Board? And make money for people who manage to live comfortably without any semblance of a conscience?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Me too. Although Im in Emergency medical and First Responding with F.E.M.A. (I guess to a degree...I went to the "darkside")...I as well was there from 1964 thru 1969. Its said the Rolling Stones at Altamont Speedway in 1969 was the death of the "hippies". Don't believe it. We are still here, even if we began chasing the $$.

Hey! How many of us still remember MOTHER EARTH NEWS???? How about underground comics like "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers", "Mr. Natural", "Zap" or the Canadian comic "Adventures of Harold Hedd"?

There is a short (18 or so pages only) story out there that will bring out memories of the times and is about going thru the hippie days, the movies, groups-album, and lifestyles by a guitar player named Hurricane Duane called "Upon a Magic Swirling Ship" It'll sure bring back memories.

drivinsidewaysindetroit.blogspot.com/.../upon-magic-swirling-ship

The "hippie" movement did not die. Not by a longshot. We just went to work.....

PEACE!

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: located link
edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: link

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join