It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Madaba Mosaic Map and possible cover up?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

The mosaic map of Madaba is the oldest known geographic floor mosaic in art history. It is of major use for the localisation and verification of biblical sites. Study of the map played a major role in answering the question of the topographical location of Askalon (Asqalan on the map).[3] In 1967, excavations in the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem revealed the Nea Church and the Cardo Maximus in the very locations suggested by the Madaba Map.[4]

The largest and most detailed element of the topographic depiction is Jerusalem, at the centre of the map. The mosaic clearly shows a number of significant structures in the Old City of Jerusalem: the Damascus Gate, the Lions' Gate, the Golden Gate, the Zion Gate, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the New Church of the Theotokos, the Tower of David and the Cardo Maximus. The recognisable depiction of the urban topography makes the mosaic a key source on Byzantine Jerusalem. Also unique are the detailed depictions of cities such as Neapolis, Askalon, Gaza, Pelusium and Charachmoba, all of them nearly detailed enough to be described as street maps.

In February 2010, excavations further substantiated its accuracy with the discovery of a road depicted in the map that runs through the center of Jerusalem.[5] According to the map, the main entrance to the city was through a large gate opening into a wide central street. Until now, archaeologists were not able to excavate this site due to heavy pedestrian traffic. In the wake of infrastructure work near the Jaffa Gate, large paving stones were discovered at a depth of 4 meters below ground that prove such a road existed.

wikipedia

Most conspicuous because of its absence on the map and in the Wikipedia entry above is:

East of this road we would expect to find, on the map, some indication of the former Temple Mount. But no! There are just a few nondescript buildings, south of which is a red-roofed structure, most likely the nunnery founded by the Empress Eudocia in the 5th century. The Byzantines paid the erstwhile Temple Mount their utmost disrespect—according to one account they used it as a garbage dump—because it was the holy place of a people that had refused to accept Jesus as savior, urging his crucifixion instead. On the Madaba map, therefore, the Temple Mount does not exist.
source

This doco has more on it between 34:34 and 35:47 but it is cut off before they finish talking about it, it does not mention why the temple mount is missing

This is a conspiracy website so I am putting forward that this is a conspiracy, that they are hiding the real reason the temple mount is missing in the madaba mosaic map. The reason given in the second source is just the repetition of previous in-the-box-thinking scholars' thoughts.

Can you come up with any different reasons why the temple mount does not exist on this map?

edit on 23/12/13 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

I'm not familiar enough with the layout of Jerusalem to know for certain but I would say its possible that it's missing from the map because the map is incomplete. there are pretty large portions missing. Additionally there is a separate mosaic at the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem which is also Byzantine that clearly depicts the Temple Mount. I'm not seeing much conspiracy in this one, sorry.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by peter vlar

The part with Jerusalem on it is complete though. Fair enough, I don't see a conspiracy either, unless someone wants to suggest that aliens removed the Temple mount after the fall of Jerusalem to the Roman armies and then put it back some time after this map was made to create the religious conflicts that we see today that is paving the way for the OWG to ban all religion or to introduce One World Religion..... hmmm that doesn't sound too far fetched ha ha. No, really what other reasons could there be for the Temple mount to be missing?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

It wouldn't be that far fetched if every Byzantine map of that era excluded it. However, as I mentioned above there is another contemporary mosaic that depicts the Temple Mount and shows a place of worship there which doesn't look as conspiratorial as you're initial claim. Just my opinion, you can take it or leave it.

join