It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Members of AboveTopSecret.com: I'm Sad… And Maybe You Are Too…

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JRCrowley

is that your opinion or do you have a link? lol!!

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

SkepticOverlord
Here on ATS, we generally enjoyed a nice run where all held a diversity of opinions, theology, and world-views with a minimum of intense clashes. We were among the precious few who were informed enough to realize the manufactured nature of the public discontent. Over the past two years, that "run" has come to a halt. And over the past few months, we've lost the plot… falling victim to the manipulations of the "sides."

I've been a member since 2010 and the reason I came to a conspiracy web site was so I could join others who found it interesting to discuss, well, conspiracy theories...

I dont know exactly when it began (two years ago seems about right), many new ATS members (and some old), began to staunchly defend the establishment's position.

Take your pick of topic, 9/11, MK Ultra, the moon "landing", chemtrails, GMO foods, vaccines, fluoride etc., these members were ridiculing and sometimes attacking those of us who took the position that there may be a conspiracy at work, that the official explanation may not be true.

Thats right. We were and are attacked for believing in conspiracies on a website meant for conspiracies...

And its not just coming from other members. Some of the moderators are deeply biased and its evident in their moderating.

Its clear that some of them hate almost anything anti-government (the source of many conspiracies), which makes one wonder how they became moderators on a site like ATS...

ATS was meant to be "a rage against the mindless status-quo", but its slowly becoming just that, "the mindless status-quo"...

edit on 27-12-2013 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

gladtobehere Some of the moderators are deeply biased and its evident in their moderating.

Its clear that some of them hate almost anything anti-government (the source of many conspiracies), which makes one wonder how they became moderators on a site like ATS...

I can state without reservation that I, for one, do not stand with hating anything anti-government and agree that politicians are responsible for the majority of conspiracies to be found.

The best part about the staff here is that we do not agree on everything and thereby have a balanced approach when dealing with the membership.

Absolutely nothing is actioned without the rest of staff being aware, so that precludes a conspiracy among like-minded moderators acting unilaterally. What any moderator types onto public threads, however, is their personal opinion and they, like any other member, have a right to do so as long as they align themselves with the T&C's.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

gladtobehere

SkepticOverlord
Here on ATS, we generally enjoyed a nice run where all held a diversity of opinions, theology, and world-views with a minimum of intense clashes. We were among the precious few who were informed enough to realize the manufactured nature of the public discontent. Over the past two years, that "run" has come to a halt. And over the past few months, we've lost the plot… falling victim to the manipulations of the "sides."

I've been a member since 2010 and the reason I came to a conspiracy web site was so I could join others who found it interesting to discuss, well, conspiracy theories...

I dont know exactly when it began (two years ago seems about right), many new ATS members (and some old), began to staunchly defend the establishment's position.

Take your pick of topic, 9/11, MK Ultra, the moon "landing", chemtrails, GMO foods, vaccines, fluoride etc., these members were ridiculing and sometimes attacking those of us who took the position that there may be a conspiracy at work, that the official explanation may not be true.

Thats right. We were and are attacked for believing in conspiracies on a website meant for conspiracies...

And its not just coming from other members. Some of the moderators are deeply biased and its evident in their moderating.

ATS was meant to be "a rage against the mindless status-quo", but its slowly becoming just that, "the mindless status-quo"...

edit on 27-12-2013 by gladtobehere because: wording

I'm sad, too, SO, and I agree with gladtobehere.

Its hard to nail down the timing of my own displeasure over what has transpired on ATS.

Maybe it was when the format changed (not for the better, IMO), maybe its due to the increased influence of paid posters drowning out the voices of genuine ideas and intentions, maybe its because so many really good posters have "disappeared", and maybe some of it has to do with heavy handed moderation.

It isn't JUST ATS, the whole web has become a major disappointment over the course of these past many months. I'm just especially sad because ATS did have a really great run and its hard to watch good things end and I have no suggestions on how to stop the slide.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

gladtobehere
Some of the moderators are deeply biased...

Not really. We all have opinions, which EVERYONE here is entitled to, on today's issues. That I wouldn't call "bias".

...and its evident in their moderating.

That is completely untrue. It is not tolerated. The only moderating we do is by the T&C. We are far too diverse for that to happen. We have staff that covers the whole of the political, religious and societal spectrums. You should see some of the knock down, drag outs that the staff has. You can't though because sometimes those discussion are SO un-T&C compliant that we would have to ban ourselves. Not a fertile ground for "biased moderating."

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Just a couple of observations....

If the site is lacking in courtesy and respect let's stop blaming others.

It not the new format that is causing that.

It's certainly not the Mods perceived bias that is causing this.

This site is member generated content. So if something is lacking.

It falls squarely on the members...

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

whyamIhere

Almost right imo. We have always said that mods are people and we have opinions too. If that is the case then it falls on us just as it does anyone else here. We are ALL in this together.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I think the moderating here isn't biased as such but is definitely too tolerant of nastiness and childish bickering. I've no idea why posters behaviour has deteriorated over the years. Perhaps people are just angrier or the fluoride is making them a bit thick
Some bans have also been incredibly harsh and seemed to be a little personal. The site has lost some great 'conspiracy theorist' members who produced very entertaining threads. I started reading in 2007 so have seen many come and be gonered.

I do agree that the site has become more intolerant of speculation. It's meant to be a conspiracy site, yet people are shot down spitefully on every board if they dare to suggest an angle without having proof. Discussion is good but have a look at a random 20 threads. Discussion will be replaced by attack in most. I'm not entirely innocent of the occasional one line attack myself. Moderate me, and others, please

The UFO board is why I joined, yet I hardly look at it now. Not because there's no news but because I have to read a bunch of intolerably dull deniers slaughter people for daring to speculate. It's like people have been intentionally pressured away from posting any news they may hear. A conspiracy in itself? Some of the believers are just as tiresome themselves. Not a shred of humour!

I certainly never post any news on there because I just can't be arsed to reply to people who don't even have an interest in the topic, or who post something ridiculous without even a smidgin of irony. Why are the super skeptics here? Why are they even allowed to post after the 'Enough' thread by SO/Spinger (?).... I must say though that some skeptics, while often obnoxious at least give good content and should be welcomed.

This site no longer has any right to call itself a conspiracy site. It's an alternative news and bickering site, sadly. I still stay logged in and watch for new threads because there are some funny posters and one or two bits of news/comment a day are really interesting, but despite this, every day I will not even click on many thread titles I find interesting because I know what the discussion will become.

Maybe it is a societal thing in America but I don't think it's the case in most of the world. I think it's a site problem. How to solve it? I haven't got a Scooby. I will continue to visit and occasionally post anyway. I'll just avoid the threads which are religious, political, UFOlogical and conspiratorial in nature

Merry new year!!!

Apologies for any repeating of myself and mistakes. There is alcohol left in the house and it must be drunked before others arrive...

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord

If we can't turn the tide here on our beloved ATS and represent to the world a unique collection of people, who all think differently but represent the gold standard for deference in discourse, what hope do we have?

Perhaps I'm just a sad dreamer. Someone with an idealist's point of view that is fading from relevance.

Yes, I'm afraid it's an idealistic dream.
ATS is but a sample of the world at large. We're not in some bubble here, where those who join as members are separate from society's religious and political influences and agendas.

It's a nice mantra though- to Deny Ignorance. It's what I believed when I first joined so many years ago. And for awhile people held each other accountable to that. But...

As the membership grows, the tolerance goes. And the agendas, whatever they are, find their way in.

Religion has been a source of conflict amongst humans for thousands of years. I struggle to make sense of it, but it's no surprise that these conflicts spill over from the world at large into these forums. What did you expect?

It's why I've always steered clear of those discussions as much as I could. If it's not someone denouncing another member for believing in God, then it's a someone else who does believe in God shoving their religious beliefs and Bible passages down someone's throat. I don't get it. I just don't.

I come here to jump on topics that are interesting and enlightening, and perhaps engage in some healthy debates that are ultimately an exchange of good ideas. Thankfully, as much as ATS has changed over the years, I can still find some nice gems amongst all the madness.

Thank you for giving folks this outlet. As nasty as it gets sometimes, it's not all bad. I see it as an experience in human nature, raw and up close. Access to the global mind.

The best part is we can turn it on or off anytime we want.

Is There Hope?

"Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."
-Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
We all post to those issues which are near and dear to our suspicions, hopes and beliefs. That is what this website is all about and what keeps it going. How we express ourselves requires a measure of civility though, and it is the primary goal of every staffer here to see that it is maintained. Nothing else.

Perhaps every member should watch the following video to re-acquaint themselves with what's truly important in this world. Yes… it's an hour long, but it doesn't hurt too much, even though you might not agree with everything in it. Maybe it'll give some of us an urge to 'get back to the basics' instead of being critical of each other.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

whyamIhere

It doesn't even matter who or what is to blame, the fact is that that the latest page used to turn over so fast that it was hard to keep up with, now it barely moves. If that wasn't an issue I doubt this thread would exist.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

This thread got me thinking about why I joined ATS in the first place....

Although I've only been a member for a couple of years, I was a actually quietly lurking in the shadows for a few years prior to that, afraid to sign up because I didn't want to be associated with 'those type of people'.

And then one day the light bulb turned on: "Wait a minute... I'm always on this site, so doesn't that mean I actually am one of 'those people' ?!"

So chewing on that thought process now, most of the membership here does have a basic common ground with each other: We're all fed up with the lies and crap being crammed down our throats on a daily basis and don't buy into it anymore. We are no longer asleep at the wheel like so many others still are.

Thus, maybe all we need to do is remind ourselves every now and then why we're all here on ATS and just how much common ground we actually do share with one another, rather than focusing on our differences ?

And I have to say... this thread gave me a soft little boot to the derriere as a reminder to that fact (because it just so happens that I was getting pretty frustrated with the attacks and bickering on this site myself too)... Healthy debate is one thing (which most of us thoroughly enjoy and thrive on), but bickering like a bunch of kids in a sandbox is another.

We all stand on the same common ground, let's not forget that very important fact.

... Apparently, even we ATS evil mad geniuses *cough* need a size 12 shoe sent to our gluteus maximus every once in a while.

So thanks for that Skeptic.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I don't think anything has changed.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

lazernation

I do agree that the site has become more intolerant of speculation. It's meant to be a conspiracy site, yet people are shot down spitefully on every board if they dare to suggest an angle without having proof....

Moderate me, and others, please....

The UFO board is why I joined, yet I hardly look at it now. Not because there's no news but because I have to read a bunch of intolerably dull deniers slaughter people for daring to speculate. It's like people have been intentionally pressured away from posting any news they may hear. A conspiracy in itself?

This...

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
As I understand it ATS was originally a skeptic sight for debunking, now I have had plenty hate tossed my direction through the years.

first they hated Bush then they hated Obama, and everyone hates the Christians.

so whats new?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

JRCrowley

SkepticOverlord

JRCrowley
“In much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.”
-Ecclesiates 1:18

In context, there's no solace in Ecclesiates (possibly written by Solomon as a biography of Koheleth), which is a warning against gaining knowledge, and that it leads to a meaningless life. Offering the shallow advice: "A man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry," and that, "much study is a weariness of the flesh."

That's fine. The bible is full of crap anyway.

SEE

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I lasted four days. I'm a failure.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

No, you're not a failure. It seems that the better posters TRIED to keep away, and what we've got instead is a run of truly hateful recent threads in the beloved RFT forum.

I haven't totally stopped - because I feel it's important to continue discussion on the subject; so, if you're a "fail", I guess I am, too....

but I'll be glad when the forums are once more populated by thinkers.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

There were a couple of threads that were relevant to me personally.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

lazernation
I do agree that the site has become more intolerant of speculation. It's meant to be a conspiracy site, yet people are shot down spitefully on every board if they dare to suggest an angle without having proof.

Yes, and the absurdity is mind-boggling. Users speculating about MSM deceits are asked for credible sources to corroborate their stance. Credible sources are sources emanating from official institutions. Official institutions make the MSM.

That's some Catch-22 worthy stuff right there.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join