It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Homicide Map

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
If you ever wanted to see what a map of the city of Chicago looks like for homicides then look no further. Below you can click on the link that shows the 426 homicides that have been committed in the city of Chicago this year and where they fall on the map. As you can probably guess, the nicer areas like the loop or lincoln park have zero homicides, but as you get down on the south side of the city, you can see just how bad it really is.

What's sad is that a year ago the city had 507 homicides, so in a way there is improvement. But improvement off a god awful number isn't really improvement IMO. I'm sure the murder rate here in Chicago beats out some countries. I'm from the Chicagoland area and it's a problem we've just learned to live with, because the politicians, police, etc. don't care enough to make a difference. And what's interesting with the map, and what's been discussed or known here in Chicago is that hotter months lead to higher murder rates because the poorer communities can't afford AC and you have more "trouble" lurking on the streets which leads to increased crime.

Anyways, I figured I'd share this with the ATS community, especially with the Chicago Homicide threads we've had over the past. I'm sure none of this will be a shocker to you...

Link To Map
edit on 22-12-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Yeah, any big city is going to be bad like that. I used to live in Los Angeles and the crime is really bad there. The LAPD is pretty corrupt too. Chicago does have a reputation for being a place you don't wanna mess with and from what I've heard it's worse than LA there.

"Fifteen cities reported more than 100 murders in 2012. Alongside Chicago, New York and Detroit, Philadelphia (331), Los Angeles (299), Baltimore (219), Houston (217), New Orleans (193), Dallas (154), Memphis (133), Oakland (126), Phoenix (124), St. Louis (113), Kansas City (105) and Indianapolis (101) had the busiest homicide departments."

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

lostbook
reply to post by jhn7537

Yeah, any big city is going to be bad like that. I used to live in Los Angeles and the crime is really bad there. The LAPD is pretty corrupt too. Chicago does have a reputation for being a place you don't wanna mess with and from what I've heard it's worse than LA there.

"Fifteen cities reported more than 100 murders in 2012. Alongside Chicago, New York and Detroit, Philadelphia (331), Los Angeles (299), Baltimore (219), Houston (217), New Orleans (193), Dallas (154), Memphis (133), Oakland (126), Phoenix (124), St. Louis (113), Kansas City (105) and Indianapolis (101) had the busiest homicide departments."

www.washingtonpost.com...

Isn't it a little messed up to think that we're now conditioned to think like that. Your first line of the response is "Yeah, any big city is going to be bad like that"... It's a damn shame that murder is an accepted way of life in major cities... I wish change could happen, but it seems like a battle too far along to be fought, similar to changing up our Govt...

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Scary part is, those are just the reported murders. I wonder what the police response is, in comparison to last year it doesnt look like there wasnt much of an improvement actually doesnt look good at all. I wonder what the known causes of at least the majority of these murders where it may lead to answers on how to deter it in the near future. Probably has something to do with being poor and drugs mainly would be my guess and it truly is tragic.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Brotherman
reply to post by jhn7537

Scary part is, those are just the reported murders. I wonder what the police response is, in comparison to last year it doesnt look like there wasnt much of an improvement actually doesnt look good at all. I wonder what the known causes of at least the majority of these murders where it may lead to answers on how to deter it in the near future. Probably has something to do with being poor and drugs mainly would be my guess and it truly is tragic.

Well, the majority of the crimes in those "busier" areas stems from gang violence, and unfortunately a lot of the deaths are innocents caught in the crossfire of gang wars. So, it's turf battles over drugs and other money making crime activities gangs exploit. And yes, they are all on poor income areas for the most part.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I live in LA myself, and i can agree with the crime. However, my NYC friends tell me that the crime rates in NYC are actually quite low. Very likely due to the very controversial stop and frisk tactics...

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Rebel88
reply to post by jhn7537

I live in LA myself, and i can agree with the crime. However, my NYC friends tell me that the crime rates in NYC are actually quite low. Very likely due to the very controversial stop and frisk tactics...

I guess this could bring up a thread topic in itself. Say there was data showing that these controversial 'stop and frisk' tactics actually worked, would you be okay with this coming to a city near you? Personally, it wouldn't bother me because I do nothing illegal, which means I have nothing to hide, but on the flip side we have the whole "rights/freedoms" argument, especially illegal search and seizures, which I'm sure this could fall under. I'm sure this would lead to interesting debate here on ATS if the thread picked up steam early and didn't fall to thread hell existence where no one knows about it.. Like a Slayer would need to start the thread and every body and their mother would be on it, hahaha...
edit on 23-12-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

It isn't accepted but it's a fact of life living in a major city. Think about it. There's many different neighborhoods..poor,middle class,rich.Then you have the in between poor and middle class.Then you have the way below poverty poor.I'm from Philadelphia and I can tell you there's certain area's you want to avoid. It's not even a big area,say maybe a few blocks of any given neighborhood.You might go through two to three blocks of nothing but run down houses then come out into a nice,well cared for section.

Living in such an urban area that is the northeast,with many big cities such as New York City,Philadelphia,Washington DC,Baltimore,Newark,Camden,etc,I can tell you that you won't find trouble if you don't go looking for it.Even when driving through the rough areas of those cities.Most murders are drug or some other petty thing related.I'm sure Chicago's problem is the same.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I would be curious to know how many of these homicides can be attributed to gang on gang violence.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

WeRpeons
reply to post by jhn7537

I would be curious to know how many of these homicides can be attributed to gang on gang violence.

The vast majority are gang on gang violence, or victims of gang violence...

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

nightstalker78
reply to post by jhn7537

It isn't accepted but it's a fact of life living in a major city. Think about it. There's many different neighborhoods..poor,middle class,rich.Then you have the in between poor and middle class.Then you have the way below poverty poor.I'm from Philadelphia and I can tell you there's certain area's you want to avoid. It's not even a big area,say maybe a few blocks of any given neighborhood.You might go through two to three blocks of nothing but run down houses then come out into a nice,well cared for section.

Living in such an urban area that is the northeast,with many big cities such as New York City,Philadelphia,Washington DC,Baltimore,Newark,Camden,etc,I can tell you that you won't find trouble if you don't go looking for it.Even when driving through the rough areas of those cities.Most murders are drug or some other petty thing related.I'm sure Chicago's problem is the same.

Unfortunately, the whole "you won't find it if you don't go looking for it" doesn't necessarily apply here. Victims get preyed on by a lot of these ruthless gang members. Not too long ago there were reports stating "don't put your phone down, ipad, wallet down etc." because groups of gangs would take it from you and then brutally assault you if you tried to fight back. Also, people from Chicago (who know of Chicago) avoid the south west side at all cost. Here in Chicago you go as south as 35th ave (where the Chicago White Sox play baseball), any more south you get in very questionable areas, where being a white male in my late 20's, if I walked alone I would get jumped 9 times out of 10. Also, I've been to the South side (Englewood Area) on a few occasions and I'll say this much, people don't stop at red lights. It's more of a stop sign (where you stop and go) because you don't want to be sitting at one place too long. What's crazy is the cops do the same thing too...

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Unfortunately, the whole "you won't find it if you don't go looking for it" doesn't necessarily apply here. Victims get preyed on by a lot of these ruthless gang members. Not too long ago there were reports stating "don't put your phone down, ipad, wallet down etc." because groups of gangs would take it from you and then brutally assault you if you tried to fight back. Also, people from Chicago (who know of Chicago) avoid the south west side at all cost. Here in Chicago you go as south as 35th ave (where the Chicago White Sox play baseball), any more south you get in very questionable areas, where being a white male in my late 20's, if I walked alone I would get jumped 9 times out of 10. Also, I've been to the South side (Englewood Area) on a few occasions and I'll say this much, people don't stop at red lights. It's more of a stop sign (where you stop and go) because you don't want to be sitting at one place too long. What's crazy is the cops do the same thing too...

Don't stop at red lights? Interesting. I've heard of the gangs in Chicago. Don't walk on the wrong side of the street, etc..but this red light thing is new to me.
edit on 23-12-2013 by lostbook because: paragraph edit

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Yea, it's more stop and go (similar to a stop sign), well as long as there is no traffic coming the other way.

top topics

join