Pregnant nurse FIRED for refusing risky flu vaccine

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
She read the fine print and decided it was too risky -

Dreonna Breton got fired because she refused a mandatory flu shot. A registered nurse, she'€™s pregnant and has a history of miscarriage.

Breton says she became alarmed by notifications such as this, contained in the packaging of a popular flu vaccine: "€œFluzone should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed.€"

This is insane! This woman just wanted her child to be born healthy. She should be free to decide what risks she wants to take with her own child's life.

Obviously, there is clearly a known risk.

But she faces a rising tide of mandatory flu vaccination policies at health care organizations including hospitals and nursing homes. The intent is to prevent health care workers from spreading the flu to the elderly and others with weakened immune systems who are at high risk of dying from the flu.

How many people die in hospitals because or MRSA or medical mistakes? Pretty sure way more than die from catching the flu from an unvaccinated nurse!

Breton says she explained her flu shot reservations to her employer, and also provided a doctor'€™s note which described her history of miscarriage. The doctor wrote, "€œIn my view getting the flu shot would significantly and negatively impact her health because of the increased fear and anxiety it would create as well as the emotional impact it could cause if she does miscarry again."

Breton says she offered to wear a mask during work. Some health care organizations allow employees who don'€™t receive a flu shot to wear a mask.

This is just control gone too far and complete lack of compassion or common sense.

Unfortunately, with the economy in the toilet - there are way too many people being forced to do things they object to because they need their jobs. All part of the slave plan I guess.

www.pennlive.com...

Flu causes about 24,000 deaths and 150,000 hospitalizations annually. It's highly contagious and is typically spread when droplets released when an infected person coughs or sneezes reach another person.

To answer my own question -

According to the most recent research1 into the cost of medical mistakes in terms of lives lost, 210,000 Americans are killed by preventable hospital errors each year.

When deaths related to diagnostic errors, errors of omission, and failure to follow guidelines are included, the number skyrockets to an estimated 440,000 preventable hospital deaths each year!

articles.mercola.com...

Yep, firing this nurse makes a whole lot of sense....in the country where it is almost completely lacking!
edit on 22-12-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Another issue with the flu shots, is that they're only about 60% effective.
Risk vs benefit, especially while pregnant....too much risk

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

How many people die in hospitals because or MRSA or medical mistakes? Pretty sure way more than die from catching the flu from an unvaccinated nurse!

Comparing apples to orange paint?

MRSA is any strain of Staphylococcus aureus that has developed, through the process of natural selection, resistance to beta-lactam antibiotics, which include the penicillins (methicillin, dicloxacillin, nafcillin, oxacillin, etc.) and the cephalosporins.

How is MRSA anything related to the flu?

CDC estimates that from the 1976-1977 season to the 2006-2007 flu season, flu-associated deaths ranged from a low of about 3,000 to a high of about 49,000 people.
www.cdc.gov...

In any case, you are wrong:

According to the CDC an estimated 10,800 deaths in the U.S. each year are caused by staph, 5,500 of which are linked to MRSA.

MRSA is resistent, meaning there is no great way of fighting it depending on the infection. The flu is preventable if the vaccine is protecting against a strain that is prevalent. Though neither should be compared to each other because it's too completely different things, even if you do however, MRSA does not cause as many deaths.

Beware Mercola propaganda.
edit on 23-12-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I'm an RN and if they "forced" anything more than yearly TB testing - I'd quit my job.

MRSA infects people with lowered immune systems, doesn't infect healthy people routinely -

A lot of opinion says that all of these "vaccinations" reduces one's immune systems.

Also "forcing" nurses to lose sleep by forcing them to work extra hours, and adding stress - lowers immune systems.

A person needs to be healthy in order to take care of sick people.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

MRSA infects people with lowered immune systems, doesn't infect healthy people routinely -

A lot of opinion says that all of these "vaccinations" reduces one's immune systems.

Also "forcing" nurses to lose sleep by forcing them to work extra hours, and adding stress - lowers immune systems.

Sorry, are you arguing that nurses are walking around carrying MRSA, or arguing that the flu only infects people with weakened immune systems?

The flu is contagious to people with great immune systems, and for some they barely notice it compared to others, however, for some people those people might come into contact with, it can cause major complications.

But unless nurses are all coming down (or have a high risk of) and spreading MRSA, and also there is a preventable treatment, than the two are not comparable.
edit on 23-12-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

have you had your flu shot?...if not please make your way down to the doctors in an orderly fashion and get your dose....you wouldn't want to be infecting others now would you ?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Happy1
reply to post by boncho

I'm an RN and if they "forced" anything more than yearly TB testing - I'd quit my job.

A person needs to be healthy in order to take care of sick people.

If I was your employer I'd accept your resignation in a heartbeat.

What type of registered nurse are you if you're stating opinions on health matters?
Who's opinion are you stating?
Certainly not a medical or scientific one.

Your profession is based upon empirical evidence isn't it so I suggest you do a bit of studying to bring yourself up to date on the matter as you seem to be quite a few years behind.

I would expect that any nurse looking after me or any of my family for any reason whatsoever would be fully protected against preventable diseases.
That's the minimum I'd expect.
If you don't think you can manage that I definitely believe you're not the right person for that job.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed
reply to post by boncho

have you had your flu shot?...if not please make your way down to the doctors in an orderly fashion and get your dose....you wouldn't want to be infecting others now would you ?

I don't work in an geriatric care facility. Sorry.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Pardon?
If I was your employer I'd accept your resignation in a heartbeat. -snippage- I definitely believe you're not the right person for that job.

Resignation??? Nope ... fired for cause. Anything less is passing the 'problem' along to the next unsuspecting employer.

What was described was a fundamental lack of concern for patient health care. The patient is the only concern. Putting a patient in an environment of unnecessary risk should be a concern to everyone everywhere. It's that simple. If you're not the right person for the job ... you can't have that job ... now, or in the future.

Termination solves that. I work in healthcare. My staff understands this. We all get vaccinated ... every year. Hate it ... but the other choice is available and free for adoption.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   

I'd bet any money. I've been in the hospital enough times to learn to be far more afraid of employee incompetence than any health problem. I almost died one time due to absolute stupidity on a nurse's part.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I am a nurse and I am not required to get the flu shot (but I thake it anyway).

I would be amazed if a nurse in the uk got fired over this alone. As someone who works in this job what I would say is that more often than not there is usually a lot more behind someone getting fired its usually a serise of things that eventually end up with a fitness to practice hearing.

So basically what I am saying is that there is possibly more to this story than meets the eye

Also this story has nothing to do with MRSA Deaths (which are falling) or medical mistakes.

This is about a nurse not getting her shot and getting sacked and I would bet there there is probably a little bit more to it than that.
edit on 23-12-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
How can they legally insist on her receiving this when the product info states the following...

8.1 Pregnancy Pregnancy Category C: Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with Fluzone. It is also not known whether Fluzone can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproduction capacity. Fluzone should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed.

www.fda.gov...

Totally unfair if you ask me, especially seeing how she has offered to wear a mask.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I would guess in the UK she would be covered under Maternity discrimination.
What kind of person would risk the life n their unborn child for this.
What kind of employer would ask it?
crazy world.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I work in healthcare and did not get the vaccine.

I patiently described to the administration that were I to get the shot, I stood a good chance of developing an upper respiratory infection and could lose upwards of a month of work time recuperating.
I get very ill, pneumonia, when I have had to get the vaccine.
When it was mandatory, I had it pencil-whipped.

The flu shot is many things to many people. But for me, personally, it is not worth dying to get.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

WilsonWilson
crazy world.

In the UK this just would not happen.

its that simple.

if they NHS tried this they would have to either prove she was in breach of contract (and there is nothing in my contract anyway that says i must have this done) or they would have to try getting her removed from the NMC registrar and they could not remove a individual for this alone.

Sounds like this nurse has gotten a really rough deal.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin

WilsonWilson
crazy world.

In the UK this just would not happen.

its that simple.

if they NHS tried this they would have to either prove she was in breach of contract (and there is nothing in my contract anyway that says i must have this done) or they would have to try getting her removed from the NMC registrar and they could not remove a individual for this alone.

Sounds like this nurse has gotten a really rough deal.

In this case it seems like it was mandatory.
If you refused a mandatory shot in the UK you would then be in breach of contract.
Initially you would be disciplined for it but if you then refused it again, you would probably be sacked.

Irrespective of whether or not the story isn't the whole story, the "nurse" is not looking at the evidence, just what is written on an insert or so she says.
If she HAD really researched into it and done that research properly she would have found that the overwhelming evidence is that pregnant women SHOULD get the flu jab.
However, she's possibly just seen the insert and made her mind up there and then.

www.nhs.uk...

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Pardon?

In the UK you have to have certain vaccines depending on your area of work.

So for example if you work in Infectious disease's you must be vaccines against pretty much everything (including flu)

If you work in trauma or in theater you need to be vaccinated against blood born viruses

Most also require MMR, Tetanus and BCG (although I have never been required to get the flu shot)

But its a issue of patient safety.

we are trained using a strong evidence base and the evidence overwhelming support for the validity of vaccines.

If i did not get my hep b jab for example and got a needle stick there is a very small chance i could wind up with Heb-B. So there i am running around with this nasty blood born virus in my system looking after your dear old mum when one day i go to give her her daily shot of Fragmin and the needle slips, it goes through my skin and into hers.

She has now been exposed to my hep-B.

And believe me even though the changes of contracting a virus from a needle is minute but the worry that it can cause you if you have ever been pricked by a needle you know to be dirty is not worth it.

So it take shots for everything and never had a problem because i have been in that situation where i have been waiting to find out if the junky had hep or HIV

flu is the same,

would you really feel comfortable sitting in a ICU with your dear old mum and i start coughing and complaining about how i have "just got over a touch of the flu".

of course you wouldn't, you would probably demand another nurse until I had been clear for 48 hours (which is standard policy anyway) because you would know that my little bout of flu could be the think that kills your dear old mum.

All nurses going into the profession know they we all know that we have to get the jabs as a matter of patient safety, we also know there are some exceptions but in general we need them.

I agree that what has happened to this nurse sucks but at the same time i can understand it.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
If someone doesn't make their profession and spend their time in buildings full of sick people, I say the flu vaccine is entirely optional as it is for everyone in the nation. They tried requiring it once. People died. It didn't go well... (though the reasons the Swine flu vaccine were fatal and the reasons they required it were tragic coincidences for overlap, I think)

If someone DOES choose to make their life about being in close proximity to sick people for whom a thing like the flu can be dangerous all out of proportion to the average person? Vaccines aren't optional, shouldn't be optional and people can make a choice.

Risk making sick people sicker for a personal stand ...or seek work elsewhere. I think it's a very simple situation, personally. NO "right" to any job exists, especially a medical one. Others who will take the required measures are seeking work too. No loss.

edit on 23-12-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
A Nurse not getting Flu shot is like allowing a child molester to baby sit kids.

Please don't choose the type of work field and complain afterwards.

Simply don't go to work. They give you that option.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
A lot of,you arguing for the fact that she should have gotten the flu shot because she is potentially putting others at risk seem to have missed the point that she is pregnant. The shot itself has a warning about giving it to pregnant women - she did not want to out the health and safety of her BABY at risk.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join