Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Alabama town accidentally hires black drag queens to dance in Christmas parade

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Forgetting all political correctness verses 1st amendment rights, etc, etc I have to say when I read this article it gave me a chuckle. Have to admit I've never seen a drag queen dancers in a Christmas parade before.

Small Alabama town accidentally hires black drag queens to dance in Christmas parade

Residents in the small town of Semmes, Alabama were surprised when one of the acts in the annual Christmas parade was a group of black drag queens known as “The Prancing Elite.”

The “The Prancing Elite” eh? So how did the locals react to the dancing?

“I was outraged and appalled. I never expect anything like this at the Semmes Christmas parade,” Claudia Davis told Fox 10 News. “They should have notified the people of Semmes.”

And just what do the “The Prancing Elite” have to say for themselves?

“We do want to apologize if we offended anybody who did not know who we were before today, but still at the end of the day, we only just came to dance and we did get invited,” troupe leader Collins said.

So what do the town officials have to say about this?

Meanwhile, according to Claudia Davis the "Friends of Semmes" have been removed as organizers of the Christmas parade. The city council will organize the event next year.

And that's how we do it in the USA (especially in Semmes, Alabama.)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I have a feeling it may have been no accident, some forced agenda? do what ever, but DO NOT make any reference to anything to do with a nativity scene, or Jesus, we cannot have that, drag queens???? let the feathers fly......

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
That there's funny. It would have been funnier in Arab. But still, you'd think someone would have checked it out first.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

You know it's sad they did not find some "real" people that don't give a damn about the 1% of gays that are perpetrating the division in this country and ask them what they thought because I'll bet they got a really good laugh from the show which I'll also bet was the full intension.

A laugh is a rarity these days as is truth, civility and plain old getting alone, if we don't find some of these things soon we as a nation will be lost...sadly, rightfully so.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
You see! Without the polarized GLBT debate, this would not have been nearly as funny. Distances between beliefs can allow for some amazing humor, we have to admit. Right?

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by teslahowitzer

I don't think it was a accident but also don't think it was any real agenda either. Probably just a little tweak to some of the more "stodgy" town residents.

The captain of the troupe, Kentrell Collins, said he believed the offer had been made in good faith, and that the representative for the Friends of Semmes to whom he spoke knew who she was hiring.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Didn't shakespeare only use men for his women roles?

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

MALBOSIA
You see! Without the polarized GLBT debate, this would not have been nearly as funny. Distances between beliefs can allow for some amazing humor, we have to admit. Right?

Just so. Can't you just imagine the "Cracker Barrel" running around trying to pull all their drag queen merchandise off the shelves now?

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Bedlam
That there's funny. It would have been funnier in Arab. But still, you'd think someone would have checked it out first.

Oh I hope I don't offend anyone but I can't help laugh about this whole story. I feel bad for the Prancers, but they're the only ones. They were properly hired, seemed to have expressed the due amount of "you DO know who we are, right??" when asked to dance, and then were given a spot and danced in the parade.

I can't blame them one bit...

Talk about the whopper of all OOPS for who brought this about. Kinda like a playboy bunny at a toddler's birthday party. Nothing wrong ....except, ahem..context. That makes it really funny.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Looks like some idiot failed to do some research. Too bad for him - but I am now giggling quite a bit...

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
video

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
A shame the town couldn't see the irony and just have fun,
My God we have to always find something to criticize about each other.
It's really gotten out of hand and isolated us all from each other- straight, gay, white, black, D/R, your NFL team my NFL team, global warming , abortion - everyone for themselves.
It's dog eat dog here among the people while those with power unscrupulous enough to find ways to profit from our division seek to further it.

Lighten Up Semmes, drag queens are people too.
Ignore their flamboyance and they'll forgive the manure on your boots.
Not to mention the realtree tm wardrobe.
edit on 22-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)
edit on 22-12-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'm laughing too. I bet the look on their faces was priceless. Cute how most of those outraged by the drag queens all go to church but do not know Jesus's golden rule.

I have noticed the gay community really likes to celebrate Christmas.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Hilarious!!

It shouldn't really be a big deal at all, but hey at least the shocked and pissed off people are funny the laugh at.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
OK, this is HILARIOUS!

I do kinda feel bad for the residents of the town who were offended, but I really feel sorry for the poor dancers. Friends of Semmes has some serious egg on their face (pun intended; they do Easter celebrations too).

I'll bet good fiat money that someone was given the task of finding acts for the parade, didn't know what they were doing, and thought "Hey, look! A bunch of 'prancing' dancers. That's sort of like 'prancing' reindeer! We gotta get them!" and booked the act without looking any deeper. Wake-up call!

I don't think it went any deeper than just a great big blunder. Their website looks to be just a group of people who have had sort of taken over the celebrations for Christmas and Easter for the town.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
WOO yeah not just prancing drag queens but all black? YEAH! Gets my vote
because they were probably awesome, non-offensive & all black & rocked
most people's world. They get a FULL APPLAUSE from me as it is something most
people would not expect. It's to bad for the super religious that they could not
let go & just en-wrap themselves for the moment & enjoy life for everything it is....
laugh & be happy. They must not be happy if they have to knit pick every bloody thing.

I personally would have LOVED to see the prancers it only added life to the parade!

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
very funny!

good thing there wasn't an after christmas wig sale!

were the people worried about them being black or being drag queens?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Black drag queens dancing in a Christmas parade in Alabama?

Honey, there are easier ways to commit suicide.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Ain't nothing wrong with Good ol' Christmas Queer.

I mean cheer.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I would have loved to see that in person

Most original parade act I've seen. From what I can see their routine looks totally tasteful and non-offensive.

If it had been actual women performing, even if they were black no one would have any objection.

All these people making a big fuss and proclaiming "we don't want our children to see this!" Do they realize that if they hadn't made a fuss, their children might not have even thought anything of it?

All they're doing is instilling these ideas in their childrens mind: "See those people? They're disgusting and immoral because they do not conform to our strict gender codes." Maybe 1 child in 20 turns out to be gay, and 1 child in 100 turns out to be transgender, and if their parent has been giving them these kind of messages all their lives, they may internalize it and hate themselves when they come to realize their orientation.

80% of transgender people consider suicide, 40% attempt suicide at least once. But that's okay right? After all, they're disgusting sub-humans aren't they?

Sorry for the gloomy post, I've been holding back throughout this recent rash of gay-bashing threads brought on by that duck-hunting guy's dismissal.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join