It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cracker Barrel Pulls About Face on ‘Duck Dynasty’ Merchandise

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Cracker Barrel jumped the gun and started pulling Duck Dynasty merchandise from their "Country Stores" in an attempt to stave off cries of "offensiveness", but apparently thought better of it after the outcry the public expressed.

Less than two days after a Southern restaurant chain pledged to pull Duck Dynasty merchandise from its shelves, the company is reversing course, ABC News reports.

In a Facebook post, Cracker Barrel — the first major retailer to take a stance on Phil Roberston’s controversial statements — said it would continue to sell some Duck Commander merchandise but would continue to evaluate the products.

“When we made the decision to remove and evaluate certain Duck Dynasty items, we offended many of our loyal customers. Our intent was to avoid offending, but that’s just what we’ve done,” the company wrote in a Facebook post.

Earlier this week, the 67-year-old was suspended from his family’s hit A&E reality show after making anti-gay comments likening homosexuality to terrorism and bestiality in a print interview with GQ magazine.

Their full FB post:

Dear Cracker Barrel Customer:

When we made the decision to remove and evaluate certain Duck Dynasty items, we offended many of our loyal customers. Our intent was to avoid offending, but that’s just what we've done.

You told us we made a mistake. And, you weren't shy about it. You wrote, you called and you took to social media to express your thoughts and feelings. You flat out told us we were wrong.

We listened.

Today, we are putting all our Duck Dynasty products back in our stores.

And, we apologize for offending you.

We respect all individuals right to express their beliefs. We certainly did not mean to have anyone think different.

We sincerely hope you will continue to be part of our Cracker Barrel family.

Yes the story is getting tiring, but it appears that some folks took a stand and got a decision they thought was unjust... reversed.

I am glad to see that a company can admit that they think they may have made a mistake and aren't afraid to change it.

entertainment.time.com...

edit on 12/22/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
ATS should perhaps consider having a Duck Dynasty controversy sub forum.

FWIW, I'd never heard of this bloke or show before (UK here) but I've seen a couple of episodes now and it's oddly interesting.

I can perhaps understand the network deciding the bloke isn't a 'good ambassador for their brand' or whatever, but I'm not sure why the internet has lost it's collective #. I don't agree with his remarks personally, but I didn't think they were particularly disrespectful or anything.

Surely he's entitled to his own opinion - albeit with the possibility it might get him into hot water with his employers.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by KingIcarus

It does seem we could use a sub forum judging from the last few days.

I would not have added to the pile if this hadn't been an incident of a company listening to the other side of the argument.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

You make an entirely fair point, tbf.

I've never been to America, but Cracker Barrel really appeals to me for some reason. I'm sure I'd get better food going to some independent place, but that catfish and chicken-fried steak sure sounds good. I'd like to try sawmill gravy too! I've tried making it myself, but I've no idea at all how 'accurate' it is.

+12 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
GLAAD members will no longer patronise CRACK BARREL restaurants. And that means all 10 of them.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
reply to post by KingIcarus

It does seem we could use a sub forum judging from the last few days.

I would not have added to the pile if this hadn't been an incident of a company listening to the other side of the argument.

Considering that Cracker Barrel's clientele tend to be, IMHO, Robertson-like, it seemed to me like it would be suicidal for them to go all GLAAD. I might be making an insulting generalization, but I doubt CB is all that attractive to the LGBT set anyway. It's far more of a navvy chowdown.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

KingIcarus

You make an entirely fair point, tbf.

I've never been to America, but Cracker Barrel really appeals to me for some reason. I'm sure I'd get better food going to some independent place, but that catfish and chicken-fried steak sure sounds good. I'd like to try sawmill gravy too! I've tried making it myself, but I've no idea at all how 'accurate' it is.

There's an art to it. CB's version is out of a tin, I think, but it's not BAD. Not proper, but not awful. I can do better, but you have to ask yourself if it's worth it. Sort of like frozen biscuits. (the US sort) I can do better, but not a LOT better.

Then, too, proper sawmill often has coffee or tomato in. CB's is more sausage gravy.
edit on 22-12-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

I can agree with that and was confused at their decision and their apparent *shock* at the opinions of their customer base.

It is a "Southern" based food chain.

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc. is an American chain of combined restaurant and gift stores with a Southern country theme. The company was founded by Dan Evins in 1969; its first store was in Lebanon, Tennessee, which remains the company headquarters. The chain's stores were at first positioned near highway exits in the Southeastern and Midwestern US, but it expanded across the country during the 1990s and 2000s. As of September 18, 2012,[5] the chain operates 620 stores in 42 states.

Cracker Barrel's menu is based on traditional Southern cuisine, with appearance and decor designed to resemble an old-fashioned general store. Each restaurant features a front porch lined with wooden rocking chairs, a stone fireplace, and artifacts from the local area. The chain has won numerous industry awards for its distinctive outdoor advertising along U.S. interstates.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 12/22/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Here's my take on this subject, Duck Cammandor is the company hired by A&E to do the show Duck Dynasty. Family and friends chose to do this show... chose to do this show. A&E sold millions of dollars through the subsidiary of Duck Dynasty. Most of which was sold at Wallmart, notorious for selling products manufactured under slave labor conditions. Duck commander didn't have any problem with this until their patriarch was called out on the carpet. As well he should have been. Not for the reasons stated publicly but for the historical reasons of him and his family sighting there name to a show more than willing to subjugate individuals for profit.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I didn't see department stores pull Paula Deen merchandise after the comments she made came to light. I didn't see people up in arms quite as much over Paula Deen, either.

This entire fiasco shows me that the issue of homosexuality is much more contentious than that of race. I guess we as a country have been dealing with segregation and racial issues longer than gay rights.

God forbid someone is called out for statements they make, and has to deal with the ramifications. If I said what Phil said in front of an employer, I'd expect to either be fired or chastised. The same goes for what Paula Deen said.

You have a right to speak your mind, and you have the right to feel however you want. The problem isn't the "PC" police, it's that most people don't want to hear/see hateful or judgemental words from a known celebrity in the spotlight.

I see people upset because they are having to deal with the reality that a majority of people don't believe/feel the same way they do. These people are having to mentally and emotionally wrestle that their point of view isn't as widely shared as they previously thought. This realization is making them angry, and they are lashing back.

Words (either written or spoken) carry with them consequences. This is reality. Would you be surprised if I said hateful and mean things to everyone around me (which is my right) and I died alone? Would it surprise you if I had no friends?

Matthew 15:18 ---
But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person.

Just sayin'...

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Well this sort of happened because people are stupid. Cracker Barrel pulled the Duck Dynasty stuff owned by A&E off the shelves but left the Duck Commander stuff that is owned by the Robertson family. Thinking everybody (both sides) are mad at and/or wants to boycott A&E so we pull that off everybody is happy. Then same idiots who are calling to boycott A&E demanded that stuff be put back out so they could buy it. The people at Cracker Barrel must be thinking that are dealing with complete idiots but if the want to buy and support A&E merchadise then we will put it back out and everybody will make money off of it. No doubt they also called A&E and asked for stuff with A&E just as confused because they are now making money hand over fist by the very people wanting to boycott them. This is what happens when your dealing with some of Americas less intelligent least informed people. I think it is pretty damn funny.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Thanks for the tips! Anyhow, I don't want to disrupt the thread - so my apologies to the OP.

An American frend who's now gone back home introduced me to biscuits which don't really exist here. Damn, they're good eating... in fact I'll be making them for my family's Christmas dinner! She also made Redeye gravy with coffee in it which was also delicious.

I expect when I eventually get around to visiting the States I'll put on a couple of dozen pounds.

Edit: I suppose British 'scones' are similar to biscuits, but they don't tend to be eaten in the same way... they're very rarely a savoury item anyhow.
edit on 22-12-2013 by KingIcarus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
...it's that most people don't want to hear/see hateful or judgemental words from a known celebrity in the spotlight.

But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person.

In this case, though, I'd say there were millions who didn't find it all that offensive, and GLAAD is all mystified as to the reaction they're getting. Likely because you have a VERY large contingent that watch DD and understand Phil's position, if they don't exactly support it.

John 8:11:

Neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

MrSpad
Well this sort of happened because people are stupid. Cracker Barrel pulled the Duck Dynasty stuff owned by A&E off the shelves but left the Duck Commander stuff that is owned by the Robertson family.

Eh, sort of. They also took off the DC stuff that had Phil's picture on. And put the rest on sale to clear it out. I think most people understand the difference between DC and DD.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
When was the last time a politician had his career completely destroyed because he said he didn't think homosexuality fit in with his/her bible teachings? (Most likely while he was secretly gay himself
)

Why all the controversy over a business owner and TV personality? Hell, you'd think the outrage would start with people that supposedly matter first, then trickle down to the rest.

link   

MystikMushroom
I didn't see department stores pull Paula Deen merchandise after the comments she made came to light. I didn't see people up in arms quite as much over Paula Deen, either.

This entire fiasco shows me that the issue of homosexuality is much more contentious than that of race. I guess we as a country have been dealing with segregation and racial issues longer than gay rights.

God forbid someone is called out for statements they make, and has to deal with the ramifications. If I said what Phil said in front of an employer, I'd expect to either be fired or chastised. The same goes for what Paula Deen said.

You have a right to speak your mind, and you have the right to feel however you want. The problem isn't the "PC" police, it's that most people don't want to hear/see hateful or judgemental words from a known celebrity in the spotlight.

I see people upset because they are having to deal with the reality that a majority of people don't believe/feel the same way they do. These people are having to mentally and emotionally wrestle that their point of view isn't as widely shared as they previously thought. This realization is making them angry, and they are lashing back.

Words (either written or spoken) carry with them consequences. This is reality. Would you be surprised if I said hateful and mean things to everyone around me (which is my right) and I died alone? Would it surprise you if I had no friends?

Just sayin'...

Well said, by far one of the best posts I've read on ATS. Kudos on a well advanced and structured post.

link   
People buying over priced junk made in China. Whoo Ho.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

This is one case I have to say we couldn't agree more.

Pretty much all the way around. Yup.... I think you hit a bullseye on this one. It is downright funny on this side aspect.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

its really only tiring because the people telling it keep lying. All media outlets keep saying he likened homosexuality to beastiality. No such thing happened.

I don't watch the show, but given the underdog status of the Robertson family (what with media lies against them), i am firmly in their camp. And Ill still punch someone in the nose for making fun of any of my gay loved ones.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

boncho

Why all the controversy over a business owner and TV personality? Hell, you'd think the outrage would start with people that supposedly matter first, then trickle down to the rest.

IMHO it's more a reaction to A&E's fairly obvious attempt at Machiavellian chicanery to get Phil "under control". It didn't exactly work out the way they expected. The next thing I'd expect to see is a nice big post with A&E, History Channel, Hearst and Disney's primary advertisers making the circuit. A&E showed their hand and said they took this action because they were afraid of their advertisers' reaction. What are they going to do with 10 million duck heads start pounding their sponsors with threats to their Christmas business?

DD didn't become A&E's cash cow because coasters were watching to laugh at them. Maybe that's what A&E thought was going on. But now they're facing a big backlash that's not only going to take their money maker away, but eventually these guys are going to take it to their money flow by pounding the advertisers. I'm frankly a bit surprised it hasn't happened yet.
edit on 22-12-2013 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join