It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create Terminator-style Muscle 1000 times Stronger than Human Muscle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I just found this article on RT:

Fun stuff.

I'm not sure if I'm more excited about advancements in age reversal that could give us actual immortality, or super robot muscles that will give us super robot super powers should those of us transhumanism friendly ever get a chance to download into super robot artificial bodies.

Whatever the case, even from just a dumb robot as a tool perspective, or even prosthetic advances, this looks pretty nifty.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Uh… muscle? Okay, more like they created an ant that can lift x more than its own bodyweight. Nice find regardless, but alas the media needs to sell headlines…
edit on 22-12-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Now this is an amazing find.

Since the days of the first electric motors, most motion produced from electricity has been magnetism-based, that is, electricity is used to produce a magnetic field which is then used to move objects. Magnetism has a couple of drawbacks: it is extremely math-intensive to accurately predict due to magnetic properties rarely being linear or stable, and it requires ferrous materials in order to be affected by the magnetic fields. Also, magnetism often requires inductive arrangements, which operate based on the differential change in current flow... that's why motors which stall can blow breakers and burn up circuits.

Nitinol (a nickel-titanium alloy) has been around for a few years and works well, but it has some drawbacks of its own: it requires a great deal of energy to produce the necessary heat, it is expensive to manufacture, it is slow to respond, and it produces only a minuscule change in length. Vanadium dioxide seems to be capable of overcoming those last two problems.

Great find!

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

I just found this article on RT:

Fun stuff.

I'm not sure if I'm more excited about advancements in age reversal that could give us actual immortality, or super robot muscles that will give us super robot super powers should those of us transhumanism friendly ever get a chance to download into super robot artificial bodies.

Whatever the case, even from just a dumb robot as a tool perspective, or even prosthetic advances, this looks pretty nifty.

Have you or anyone else ever had proven awareness separate from themselves? If so can that awareness be shared because if you have a physical body and artificial body it is my belief there can be only one. You will be aware in your body and your copy will also be you as a copy with awareness BUT IT IS NOT YOU!

My reasoning of why the transhumanist movement is religion for scared atheists...

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

abeverage

Have you or anyone else ever had proven awareness separate from themselves? If so can that awareness be shared because if you have a physical body and artificial body it is my belief there can be only one. You will be aware in your body and your copy will also be you as a copy with awareness BUT IT IS NOT YOU!

My reasoning of why the transhumanist movement is religion for scared atheists...

Methinks when/IF (big "IF") the technologies arise that would/could allow such, that can be a quite valid and interesting argument.
Is it Copy/Paste, or is it Cut/Paste?

We've already the technology to transplant a human head onto a donor body.
Head transplant now possible

That's one solution that is, as of yet, to be tried.
As a last ditch life-extension, I'd do it if I could afford it, but, I wouldn't be keen on recovery, mismatch, rejection meds, etc.

As far as downloading to an entirely synthetic prosthesis body, such could verily be achieved by degrees of activation of prosthetic neurology.
You wear a leap-frog brain, and while parts of the bio-brain syncronize with the synthetic brain, the biobrain parts could be turned off.
In such a way, one would step by step unplug themselves from the biology, never losing consciousness along the way, and never losing identity awareness.

Of course, right now, such a thing is science fiction and can only be speculated on.
IF ever there's neurological prosthesis available, it'll come into the medical market, and then eventually break into, if possible the skills and augmentation market. From there, the biological brain for business professional performance fidelity might be too slow and people will then become more and more reliant upon dedicating more and more of their Personal cognition over to Prosthetic augmentation.
Eventually it's just a matter of degrees where prosthesis, double prosthesis, and so on becomes the standard in some circles until 100% synthetic becomes the only way to compete in any real market economy especially where there's AI in representation.

The waters then become quite muddy with what and who is human, especially when/if the reverse process is carried out in decanting from a machine into biology.
What happens when/if an AI prints out, or grows a biological body for itself and downloads into it?

As far as immortality goes?
Well, we can get into arguments about Atheism and label tagging about Transhumanism being a 'religion', but, IF immortality whether artificial or biological becomes a real option, I think you'll find more and more people gladly trading some ambiguous maybe possibly afterlife for a chance at actual real demonstrable immortality.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Reminds me of that video Member Mr. Mask created for his youtube channel about Hugo Degaris and the Artilect War

Link

I wonder if conscienceness is conscience I wonder if it in itself would reject an artificial vehicle? I know right now it is talk about small augmentation here and there, but just a thought that maybe it some how may fight back against the switch some way some how. For some reason I do not think we are the way we are to live forever or inside of something else. If becomes possible it would certainly be grounds to either redefine humanity or redefine the artificial status

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

As much as we should be talking about the artificial muscle in OP, since I've tacked on transhumanism, I don't think it's too out of line to comment on further commenting regarding cognitive/neurological prosthesis/augmentation.

Thus, in reply to Brotherman, your post makes me speculate on a scenario where we manage to to develop a complete brain prosthesis, except for one tiny inconsequential-seeming part that prevents complete 100% artificiality, or, we find that we can replicate and replace any part of the brain, regardless the part, but, never more than some variable X percentage without some (insert plot device here) occurring.

There's certainly quite a bit of fun in debate can be had on all of it.
Once upon a time it was Church Doctrine that the HEART was the residential housing of the Soul or something and there was even debate over the potential implications of artificial hearts, I think.
It'll certainly be an interesting spectacle to review the debates that may occur when/IF people can decant entirely into artificial bodies, whether those artificial bodies are biologically grown, or entirely synthetic/mechanical.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

Im not sure where the soul or the conciousness lays exactly but I am guessing that this type of technology starting with muscles, eyes, other limbs etc will inevitably lead to attempts to fully transform into an artificial body. But finding out about conscience or soul or whatever one calls it (assuming one or the other) its one hell of a way of going about it. The thing is though is that our bodies become stronger over use until we start to deteriorate what happens when you get to a threshold like say your new super machine muscles start wearing out the rest of your body expotentially faster then the natural parts? This is a very interesting topic presents many questions and implications thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
They need to push this research for the medical field.

To give people who lost limbs a chance at being 'normal'.

Of course that is still decades away.

top topics

join