It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I don't subscribe to your ideology, and can force ATS to ban you, is that right?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Now that you are in the corporate structure; Try pulling a Phil Robertson and see what happens.

If you were working for me...I'd fire your bunny butt so fast it would make your head swim and write memos and emails to my contemporaries in the business that you might be seeking employment with. In my industry we have a DNC list [do not call] if you get on that list....best to pack up the wife and kids and move along, because your're toast in this town.
Only smart ass bosses get to play the malcontent role. No matter what the structure don't go into a position all gung ho, to change the OS. All the mid level boys are looking to put the mark of cain on the newbie. Your experience and college boy degrees don't mean Jack in the plastic tube where rats run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

And if you think you have a legitimate grievance in the work place; Call Saul....

edit on 22-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

Damn man I was just throwing in a bit of levity, didn't mean to raise Satan or anything. I'm gonna go clean my shorts now excuse me.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
No, that would not be good! I don't like to be around people who all agree with me, imagine how boring that would be! I get angry sometimes when I read threads or different points of view that I don't agree with but I have never contacted anyone to "silence" that person. My neighbor and I have two TOTALLY different opinions on the whole Duck Dynasty thing, I don't find what Phil said to be that bad, he has a comprehension problem apparently and thinks he said being gay is just like being into bestiality, and well if he did say that then promiscuous men and women every where should be throwing a fit too, because that was said right after the bestiality thing. Haven't heard much from them tho ....... guess gay people don't want EQUAL rights they really want "special" rights.

Anyway I do not agree with him or Phil .... but it is interesting debating with him over this. We agree on so much, this is one place we do not agree on. Should I go to the management and demand he be evicted, because he sees things differently?? No, that's what makes the world interesting!

So no it would not be a good idea if that were to happen. If we all think alike then we would be robots, which is what I think our government wants anyway!

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

sorry, dude. woman, here. not aiming for Satan, though evil does exist, and some of use may see it better than others, and please forgive if when you are one of those, levity kind of escapes you when it shouldn't, because this is when you need it the most.....

please pardon. and hope you don't really need to clean your shorts. lol
tetra50

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

beezzer
So we're back to beauty pageants now. Just smile and look good.

But that's what it's been all along. It's REALITY TV. It's a dog and pony show. People watch to make fun of idiots and eccentrics. There are millions of us with opinions we would like to express who are denied access to A&E. Unless you are claiming this is also a denial of freedom of speech you have no case.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

DelMarvel

beezzer
So we're back to beauty pageants now. Just smile and look good.

But that's what it's been all along. It's REALITY TV. It's a dog and pony show. People watch to make fun of idiots and eccentrics. There are millions of us with opinions we would like to express who are denied access to A&E. Unless you are claiming this is also a denial of freedom of speech you have no case.

A&E has access for all filmmakers that want to make a teaser for them to look at. These are usually offered thru special festivals, sometimes associated with the 48hr film project. I just worked on a teaser about Forrest fire fighting slurry bombers.

A&E offers many opportunities for filmmakers to compete and perhaps get signed and make some serious money.

Join us

start here
www.celtx.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Was just given notice, on December 26th my banning rights on ATS will begin. This is the first and only warning to everyone, if you disagree with me, well, I'm sure you know what will happen to you

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

jhn7537
Was just given notice, on December 26th my banning rights on ATS will begin. This is the first and only warning to everyone, if you disagree with me, well, I'm sure you know what will happen to you

Since you cant find two people on the planet that agrees on everything id say your going to be very busy.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Phage
reply to post by WWJFKD

Then I'll ask the question again.
What do you think the motivation was? To lose revenue?

seems like it.

A&E pissed off more people than phil did, it seems.

i really don't care what he said. (still got the crak* babies in my head)

take it as you will, people.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
"One of the problems with defending free speech is you often have to defend people that you find to be outrageous and unpleasant and disgusting."
Salman Rushdie

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by beezzer

beezzer
When free speech becomes curtailed, the we are left with a beauty pageant. Rehearsed scripts, pretty smiles, phony bodies and clean teeth.

What you say is true. But Phil's Free Speech was not curtailed. He was suspended for voicing offensive and disrespectful views. He's still FREE to talk about his views all he wants.

Jeez, Beez, you're smart enough to know this isn't a free speech issue... It's not involved here...

he was asked pointed questions. he wasn't spouting some bs political rhetoric. just his opinion.

YOU are spouting offensive and disrespectful views against phil. how's that fit?

did he break a law or something?
i don't like alot of stuff i read here. big deal.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
"Ignorant free speech often works against the speaker. That is one of several reasons why it must be given rein instead of suppressed."
Anna Quindlen

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   

ldyserenity

Cuervo

beezzer
This is a thread dedicated to a question that I just got a couple of replies from, but hope to end this whole Duck Dynasty issue.

A couple of caveats.

Did Phil Robertson say something that he believes in?
Yes.

Did A&E have the freedom to fire him?
Yes.

Now answer the question that is the title of the thread.

Of course I have no power to control ATS to ban anyone.

But this speaks to the free exchange of ideas. Does that still exist?

I look forward to the answers.

beez

A couple of major differences here. We are not employed by ATS with a contract. He breached the contract therefore he was fired. When the Dixie Chicks was lambasted by the country music media, did you defend them?

The issue I have is people asking right-wing fundies questions about gay marriage expecting them to answer differently. They know what the answer will be but always act surprised. I didn't know who this guy was before this whole fiasco so maybe it's working in his favor.

This right here^^^ EXACTLY!

However they did enter into the contract knowing saying this stuff was gonna get him canned.

Too bad he didn't understand his terms.

So no he wasn't infringed as I had thought. Not knowing prior of his contract since I really don't watch DD or haven't really kept up, but there is a reason the whole issue was put in the contract...that was to limit freedom of speech which shouldn't be put in there to begin with. Every person should be able to choose to watch or not without pre - infringement on speech. Except for outwardly pejorative remarks and obscenity which I couldn't give a fig about but mostly everyone else does so leave it in there, but not every thing like say believing homosexuality is against God because honestly that is something that he really believes and so do millions of other people of christian and Muslim and other faiths do too.

lol! the guy made millions, before DD, you think he has crappy lawyers or didn't know what he was getting into?
they are all educated, in that family.

funny how people can judge by looks.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Xcalibur254
reply to post by beezzer

And what do you know? Robertson was free to speak his mind and certain demographics labeled his as a racist, bigot, hater etc. He still has the right to talk about those views wherever he wants. He just can't do it in front of millions of people on his employer's channel until his employer says it's ok. Please explain how his free speech has been infringed upon.

it wasn't on the show. it was a mag interview and his A&E handler wasn't there.
it was also months old, i hear, before it was published.

so who is at fault?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Xcalibur254
reply to post by beezzer

So I work in retail. Let's say I start calling my African American customers dumb n*****s and my Jewish customers shifty k***s. Do you think I should be fired?

shot maybe, but, if they ASK you things like, am i an n-word or k-word, what would you say?

you would get all PC?

or just say, not my call?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by beezzer

beezzer
As a business owner, I'd fire you because your actions are having a direct impact on my freedoms to make a buck.

You are infringing on my rights to earn a living.

And, as a business owner (A&E), they fired Phil because his actions would have a direct impact on A&E's freedoms to make a buck.

Phil was infringing on A&E's right to earn a living.

Glad you see A&E's position and agree with it.

what? they lose the gblt crowd?

the millions of them, watching DD?
seriously?

does A&E even know what their demo is?

yeah, let's fire the chef when he says a customer has no clue what he's talking about.

smooth move exlax.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Xcalibur254
reply to post by beezzer

So then you wouldn't blame my employer for firing me for calling African Americans n******s and Jews k****s. You would consider them cowards but it's actually the African Americans and Jews that complained who would be infringing on my right to free speech.

we doubt we'd stop the people's dragging your butt out of there and beating you, within an inch of your life, in the street.

this is the 2nd time you used that scenario.

u call people that to their face, u get what you deserve.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   

tsingtao
what? they lose the gblt crowd?

the millions of them, watching DD?
seriously?

does A&E even know what their demo is?

yeah, let's fire the chef when he says a customer has no clue what he's talking about.

smooth move exlax.

you forgot racist.

you can probably get away with one with water under the bridge
but not both.
just ask Mel Gibson.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Nobody, and I do mean

NOBODY

Is banned from ATS because of their opinion.

People are removed from ATS because they break the Terms and Conditions

And anyone who is removed is only removed after discussion between the staff

Simple as that.

People need to read the T&C.

I am disappointed that a long term member felt the need to ask that question

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   

beezzer

Xcalibur254
reply to post by beezzer

So then if what Phil said violated a clause on his contract he should have been fired. Of course none of us know what his contract says. So how can we lay the blame on anyone and make accusations that his rights were violated?

Since a rep was at the GQ interview, and Phil was not fired, I think it can be safely assumed that what he said was not in violation of his contract.

It was only after the phone call from GLAAD, that he was suspended.

well beez, everyone else knows that an interview like that, goes directly to print within the hour.

on the stands by 5pm, the same day. right?

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join