It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I don't subscribe to your ideology, and can force ATS to ban you, is that right?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   

OpinionatedB
At the same time, joe blow loosing his job because he doesn't agree with gay marriage and said something on facebook about his views is more than just a little ignorant, people have to be whoever they are, and your views should not matter, its how you do your job, not what views you hold on things that do not even pertain to your job.

Wow that really puts things into perspective somehow - there was another person fired from her job today for posting a somewhat racist comment (joke) on Twitter, and she even said "Just joking!" at the end.

Speaking of which, most jokes are somewhat offensive to someone, so I often wonder if we are going to become a humorless society - and that affects someone's life span, by the way.
edit on 22amSun, 22 Dec 2013 07:30:44 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

But this speaks to the free exchange of ideas. Does that still exist?

I am not able to freely talk about some things on ATS.

For some reason, they do not allow me to demean the other member. No personal attacks are allowed. Discrimination isn't tolerated by some, dang it. I sure would love to give some people a piece of my mind. I would love to tell some people just how they aren't getting into heaven like I am.

There are some members who I have given a "tongue lashing" and the post was removed. Can you believe my free speech is not allowed. UGH! They stated in an email that if I did it again I could be removed from ATS indefinitely. All I wanted to do was show other members the sins of their ways. Christians are shunned for their beliefs and I am sick of it.

Sarcasm over... not a christian and I try hard to think before I speak/type so I don't demean people or hurt their spirit. I love my neighbor/brother more than that!! ;-)

There are many who feel it is ok to demean others while they are in the spotlight. That's cool. It doesn't hurt me personally but for those that it does hurt, it does pain and sadden me.

Do I have a right to say all the above? Yes I do.

I know ATS would not allow me to post discriminatory comments or personal attacks without banning me though. They should.

You can tell your friend that you think they are not going to enter the kingdom of God like you.. for this reason or that reason. Guess what? Your friend has the right to remove you from their life and never talk to you again. You have the right to speak your mind, sure! Remember though, cause and effect still plays out. With each choice of words, there is an effect. Choose widely your words when talking to people. Speak to them how you would like to be spoken to.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

beezzer

maus80
reply to post by beezzer

How is what I said an insult? I did already answer your question - YES it is right for ATS to do anything they want with their site, and their content, and to allow anyone to use or not use it at any time for any reason. It belongs to THEM, not the world, not the people who use it, them and only them. That's a pretty direct answer, it's a yes with a very specific backing statement.

So I can force ATS to ban you or anyone based on a difference of ideology.

I can punish you for not believing the same thing as I.

And you are good with that.

Wonderful.

Well, you can't.

If I said something you disagree with, it would be up to the moderators to determine if what I said had breached the terms and conditions that I had agreed to when signing up to the forums.

So, no. you can't.

Fabulous.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
The answer to your question is no - someone should not be able to force someone else to ban someone because they don't agree with their ideology. Of course, this question has absolutely nothing to do with the Duck Dynasty situation. No one "forced" A&E to fire the duck hunter. A&E could have just as easily said, we don't agree with what he said, but we stand behind his right to say it. THEY chose not to go in that direction. Their choice. Same situation with ATS. Some jerk could be posting nasty things in a way that slips through the T&C's, and lots of people might complain to ATS and threaten to leave if he isn't banned - it's still ATS' choice whether to ban him or not.

I remember the whole flak when JCPenneys hired Ellen Degeneres to be their spokesperson. There was a group of conservative right wing, so called "Christian" Moms who put pressure on Penneys to fire Ellen. Penneys basically said, "tough - we're keeping her." That was Penney's decision - they could have just as easily decided to go the other way with that.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Hmm... sorry as of late I think the quality of my A.T.S. posts has gone down because I have been stressed. I do happen to like the T&C of A.T.S. - I'll have to look at them again.

edit on 22amSun, 22 Dec 2013 07:34:21 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Beezer is a mod, isn't he? Even if he isn't, Wrabbit is

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

The most offensive things in the world are "jokes". A joke usually puts into perspective sensitive things and makes light of them. They have a tendency to make you view something a bit differently.

the jokes about how many blondes does it take to screw in a light bulb.. is funny because everyone knows someone that stupid.. lol ... but it also sheds light on the fact that you cannot categorize people according to hair color, many people know highly intelligent blondes too... and perhaps that stupid person you know is a brunette!

All jokes are funny, and they all teach something when you look at them...

yes, I would hate to do away with jokes, and joking.. we would definitely shorten our lifespan, and have a dead way of looking at the world.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

beezzer
He voiced a personal belief. Which is rampant on this site.

There is a difference between a discussion form where people have the right of reply, and a platform.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

The thing about jokes is they actually put things into perspective. Sarcasm is a type of joke, for example, that states an opinion opposite of the one held by the person saying the joke. Without jokes, the tension is just going to build up in our society between different viewpoints -

Jokes are what allow people to put things into perspective, and to relieve emotional tensions, even between different groups of people sometimes. Without a good perspective, we likely have bad governance, and without jokes, we will likely see an increase in practical discrimination - like firing people, or violence, for example, I dunno.

People who are in a terrible situation and can't laugh about it might go a little nuts.
edit on 22amSun, 22 Dec 2013 07:40:09 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

beezzer

ltinycdancerg
reply to post by beezzer

Yes, if you call threats of violence and extortion "silly"

*sigh*

If I don't subscribe to your ideology, and can force ATS to ban you, is that right?

Why is it so hard to get a yes/no answer?

Ugh..

Heres an equally silly question.

Beezer, are you still beating your wife?

yes or No plox.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

winofiend

beezzer
He voiced a personal belief. Which is rampant on this site.

There is a difference between a discussion form where people have the right of reply, and a platform.

So now politicians and members of the media can't have controversial opinions? I guess his statement was in an interview for a magazine - on Twitter, though, people have the right to reply - same with Facebook -

I think the whole thing is a mess - my favorite perspective out of all of them is the one where it was a business decision for the company - hopefully leaving this isolated to P.R. issues -

edit on 22amSun, 22 Dec 2013 07:47:44 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I joke about things all the time. So do my kids. your right, people would go nuts if they couldn't laugh.

I do hope that we can realize as a nation how preposterous curtailing freedom of speech is when taken to these new extremes.

We are taking the person out of people, and people are not machines. We think, we differ, we are different, everyone has a different way of looking at things, and different opinions. Its what makes the world more interesting. We cannot do this whole pc thing to such extremes... everyone should have the right to be themselves.. even if we disagree.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

OpinionatedB
We are taking the person out of people, and people are not machines. We think, we differ, we are different, everyone has a different way of looking at things, and different opinions. Its what makes the world more interesting. We cannot do this whole pc thing to such extremes... everyone should have the right to be themselves.. even if we disagree.

Yeah - I remember being in situations where people with entirely different views would get together and do something together like go boating or rafting or whatever, and they were able to coexist, even with different views - I remember jokes even being used for bonding sometimes over differences.

Now, when people get together, and I've been a LOT of different social gatherings lately, it seems to be pretty cold and fearful. Definitely not warm and open in a lot of cases.

To be fair, my sample includes a Liberal Arts College (more open if you agree with their views / understand them), Idaho (same thing) - gaming groups (same thing), bar hopping (more open but that's because people are drunk! Just don't Tweet right?) yeah I'm seeing a pattern here. Huh.

It just seems to me that a lot of times, the getting to know you part of things is kind of never done anymore - and that really needs to happen before people are comfortable enough around each other to work with each other.

I'm also personally involved in all of these samples, so that is a bias lol!
edit on 22amSun, 22 Dec 2013 07:55:29 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

darkbake

OpinionatedB

Yeah - I remember being in situations where people with entirely different views would get together and do something together like go boating or rafting or whatever, and they were able to coexist, even with different views - I remember jokes even being used for bonding sometimes over differences.

Now, when people get together, and I've been a LOT of different social gatherings lately, it seems to be pretty cold and fearful. Definitely not warm and open in a lot of cases.

edit on 22amSun, 22 Dec 2013 07:52:11 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

Its because people more and more are afraid to be who they are... all this pc stuff has been taken to the extreme. now, people are worried about the thought police.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

OpinionatedB

Its because people more and more are afraid to be who they are... all this pc stuff has been taken to the extreme. now, people are worried about the thought police.

Yeah - especially compared to the 2000's - well thanks for the back-and-forth, I'm off to bed.
edit on 22amSun, 22 Dec 2013 07:58:23 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

OpinionatedB

I joke about things all the time. So do my kids. your right, people would go nuts if they couldn't laugh.

I do hope that we can realize as a nation how preposterous curtailing freedom of speech is when taken to these new extremes.

I totally agree. I don't like progressives as a general rule, but am friends with quite a few on a individual level. And they feel the same about me. I'm called a right wing nut job quite often...
But it's all good. We know not to judge based upon ideology, but rather character.

However when a thread or conversation makes me feel like this,

I step away from it. (Most of the time)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Beezzer I think you are selling yourself short here. I'm sure you have the power to ban any of us, you just don't want to admit to it, right?

I feel that topics people have strong feelings towards, ie, religion, money, political parties should usually be kept to themselves. I understand that we have many on here who play the whole "open book" card often, but I feel there are appropriate times and inappropriate times to share those views, not to mention that everyone doesn't want to hear them always... But if they are decided to be shared and you don't agree with what's being said you should never have someone banned or be banned.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

beezzer
Of course I have no power to control ATS to ban anyone.

EXACTLY! And GLAAD has no power to force A&E to fire Phil Robertson. It was A&E's CHOICE, just as it would be ATS's CHOICE to ban me if THEY wanted to. YOU would not be responsible for ATS's choice. ATS would be.

Trust me, I'd have been banned LONG ago if the members wishes had any power...

edit on 12/22/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

No.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
this thread is all over the place...

DANG IT!

GET IT TOGETHER PEOPLE!
edit on 22-12-2013 by ltinycdancerg because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join