It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you happen to be alone over the Festive period....

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Very nice post and appropriate. I'll be checking in on and off too. Thank you for posting and your considerate comapassion! Peace and Love!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I'll be around too. In between skype calls instant messages and trying to figure exactly what the State Deparment wants this time to issue a passport. I'll be here missing my other half for a few more months.

So, a Merry Christmas to all the ATS extended family and if that's too much well, Happy Holidays or whatever doesn't offend.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Bedlam

SGT101Airborne
We recently divorced (in October)

Did you ETS recently, too?

ETS?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SGT101Airborne

I believe he means Expiration of Term of Service. As in, are you still active duty?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

hoagy1199
Happy Holidays or whatever doesn't offend.

I actually got this (as a joke) in an email from a friend of mine. Made me laugh.

Please accept my non-denominational holiday wishes with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2014, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wish.

To which I will add without limiting liability to the foregoing, Happy Holidays.

edit on 12/23/2013 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It's like Robin Williams once said...

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel all alone."

Happy holidays, ATS.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

OK mate, I think you have me beat on the PC aspect of the holiday season. I will however steal that and use it as needed simply because it's classic.

Hope all is well with you.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Egyptia

That was good, I love the aspartame Flintstone vitamins!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

SullivanBlack
reply to post by Egyptia

That was good, I love the aspartame Flintstone vitamins!

Don't you know how dangerous aspartame is?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
We should make this into a ATS Holiday card!

yeahright

hoagy1199
Happy Holidays or whatever doesn't offend.

I actually got this (as a joke) in an email from a friend of mine. Made me laugh.

Please accept my non-denominational holiday wishes with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2014, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wish.

To which I will add without limiting liability to the foregoing, Happy Holidays.

edit on 12/23/2013 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Yes, I was being sarcastic..

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Segenam

Thanks for sharing a little slice of your life, I gotta say friend your pup seems like a really smart fellow. I watched the vids and thought the one where he gets all worked up for his tennis ball just to lay down was hilarious

I'm glad you and your pup found each other its seems a good match.
To bad you live all the way in scotland or I'd buy ya a drink and raise a glass to mans best friends and the holidays. Cheers Segenam

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Well, those of you out there who thought you were going to be alone at this time of the year now know you don't have to be.
Even if you just read the respect, consideration, love, concern, best wishes, whatever, without posting yourself, you know that others who have never met you wish you well.
I once, to my everlasting regret, turned away what I thought was a beggar or scrounged at the door in the pouring rain of a freezing Xmas Eve. I was very quickly made aware of the error of my ways by wife and eldest daughter who saw the reality that I had plainly missed. I rushed back out to bring indoors what actually was an older lady turned out to be suffering from a form of dementia and other mental illness who had walked 5 miles in the freezing wet weather and was by now suffering from hypothermia (confirmed by paramedics). We sat her down and she was dried off a bit and wrapped in wooly blankets as we awaited the emergency services.
First on scene a policewoman who recognised the lady's' symptoms at once and contacted ambulance control directly to get immediate priority for our original 999 emergency call. Cue paramedics, one, now somewhat less distressed but still hypothermic and confused lady in the care of professionals. Informed later that had we not brought her in she may have succumbed to death by exposure.
Each year since then, at this time, I tend to remember what happened and am grateful that my prejudice was overcome by my wife and daughter.
The lesson for me was to look beyond what was in front of me and not let prejudice affect my perceptions.
So, as Little Jim said at the end of Dickens Scrooge "Gawd bless us, everyone!
And as Scrooge said "Bah, Humbug!"

edit on 23-12-2013 by Shuftystick because: Forgot something!

edit on 23-12-2013 by Shuftystick because: Left something else out

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Hey Des I bloody LOVE goats! They are so fun to watch, especially the kids! Sheep
are pretty aloof but the goats would follow me around to see what I was doing.

There was a huge Buck named Bacchus a red boar that in the evenings I would
sit on the lip of the barn & have a drink with him, all the while pulling his
beard to me face & kissing his lips. I kissed all of them but he was the most fun.

I didn't see any Portney on your cart so I'll have a Bombay Saffire Martini please.
Merry Christmas!
Ektar

Last year was the only year (no computer access at mum's) I haven't been here for Christmas.
I enjoy being with my ATS Family!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

This is not fair. I am married with children now, so I'm always busy on the holidays. That being said, I've never had a ton of close friends and there were a few Xmas and Thanksgiving times when I was working out in the middle of nowhere, had just moved there and spent the entire day by myself.

I remember one weekend when I lived in the middle of Illinois for a job and just moved there, I thought to myself on Sunday night, you know..I haven't spoken a word all weekend. Sometimes in life you ride solo, other times you have a lot of people around you.

If there are people here in the solo mode, don't put them down like they aren't trying..don't care..or there is something wrong with them. Sometimes in life people have to roll by themselves....nothing wrong with that...

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
My fiance and I have had a recent increase in home population. Friends have been staying over, his sister moved back in, and brought with her a new boyfriend... so... I know that doesn't sound lonely, but it makes me feel pretty alone.

Having people in the house all the time, and my fiance spending time with his friends--which, don't get me wrong, is a wonderful thing, and I adore how happy he is when he sees them--but when the house is over run with people, I feel as though I have to shut in and hide from them all in the bedroom. I just don't like feeling invaded.

My fiance and I were the only ones living here for a few months, and that was really nice. Since more people have been around, I've felt a little unwelcome and lonely, but its nothing terrible. Just a life transition.

And because of some legal issues with my stepmother, I'm not allowed to be around my family. Not all of them, at least. So, in some ways, I am pretty alone right now.

But some folks are ALONE alone, and I have no reason to complain.

God bless everyone, please stay positive until the seasonal depression passes.

God speed~

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

yeahright
reply to post by SGT101Airborne

I believe he means Expiration of Term of Service. As in, are you still active duty?

Yep. That was a sad Christmas when I ETSd. I went from a big close family to the Army, which my last six years was another big close weird family, got out right at Christmas. Since I was a short timer, the guys went on their next job without me, leaving me knocking around Munich alone for Christmas, not even getting to say goodbye, so when I left I just sort of put on my civvies and wandered into town with a duffle alone. At the time I was still not on speaking terms with my father in law to be, no going there, flew back home, missed the holiday, got home and everyone had gone but Mom and Dad. And it's different, your stuff's gone, your old room's redone, your horse and dog have passed, all your old buddies are gone or have gone on without you in their lives. It's sort of the same and sort of not, which makes it weirder. There's no place that's yours and what's left is screwy.

I always saw that as a sort of low point. I like big families and a lot of friends, I guess it's what you grow up with.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Today has been one of those days where I've been mostly withdrawn and only verbally talked to one person - not by choice but by circumstance - my closest friends are scattered world wide so we only tend to grab snippets on Facebook via text - oddly we've geekily arranged a Skype call between four of us on Christmas Day which will be nice if we actually manage it....

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

"Unfortunately, most of my activity on ATS over Christmas is likely to be in this thread Stay safe everyone!

I will as usual be at home on my own - that's because I'm a miserable old grinch. And I want all the turkey and alcohol to myself!"

Saw your avatar & had to comment; Jethro Tull, Broadsword & the Beast, went to the concert, got the T-shirt and I am sure that dates me.
I have to work Christmas day, I do have a partner so technically I am not alone but still it is work. Have a shot of Brandy, or whatever, for me.
I will check back in on Christmas day & wish everyone a good holiday.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

I have no reason to complain

Yes, I think you do, I understand what you're going through. I let a young man stay earlier in the year, he was about to become homeless, it seemed like the right thing to do.

Having him here caused a lot of problems, he didn't do anything wrong but my home felt like a doss house for a few months. I won't make that mistake again, I hope you get your home and family back soon, it feels good when that happens.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join