It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you happen to be alone over the Festive period....

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I just returned from a Christmas diner with close friends. They were me
bloody direct next door neighbors from elementary through high school.
I hadn't seen them since the early 80's...we reunited in a different state
last fall.
I have been so fortunate since I have been here for 5 yrs in Jan & don't
know anyone. She's me mum's age & her daughter is my age, they both live
12 miles from me in separate houses & her son is still in TN where my mum & brother
are living.
It's SO nice to have "family" as they have been so wonderful & kind. I spent
Thanksgiving with them & shared tonight's Christmas dinner & watched the kids open
presents. I am ever so grateful because my situation is not good at the moment & I
was able to escape & enjoy everything for the moment which I think is important.

So that is my Christmas as I returned at ~ 10pm & will be here with ALL me friends
as always on ATS! Merry Christmas & SAFE Holidays to everyone!

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
~ Yes Virginia, there IS a Santa. ~

Eight-year-old Virginia O'Hanlon wrote a letter to the editor of New York's Sun, and the quick response was printed as an unsigned editorial Sept. 21, 1897. The work of veteran newsman Francis Pharcellus Church has since become history's most reprinted newspaper editorial, appearing in part or whole in dozens of languages in books, movies, and other editorials, and on posters and stamps.

"DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
"Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
"Papa says, 'If you see it in THE SUN it's so.'
"Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

"VIRGINIA O'HANLON.
"115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET."

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

HO HO HO! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

The day is here, it is upon us!

May it cause you to smile and look forward with hope and optimism, even in spite of it all.

NAM

edit on 24-12-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

I was gonna post that but you beat me to it...thanks

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

palmalBlue2
how do you make the hurt go away when you lose someone?

Its been exactly a year that we had met Rocky for us as a family and I am sure its hitting my son the hardest because they became really good friends.

This is a rough night cause I do not know how to get through it. the mom was over here tonight and is having it rough cause everyone in her family is not mentioning his dissapearence. Makes it worse for her.

We did the candlelight vigil tonight with the mom.

How do you get over a missing friend on anniversary dates? Especially within a year?

I know there are people here who have gone through this [missing releatives]
I can't tsake flowers toi a grave cause its still under investigation.

Sometimes it as though you never truly 'get over' it, it almost becomes a part of you. It helps to hold onto those close to you. Spend quality time together, share your thoughts and feelings and with one foot in front of the other, we try to move ahead as best we can. Sometimes we need a good diversion like a great book where we can lose ourselves in the pages or a great movie that can take us away for a while. There are no easy answers and I know that you know that. I offer you my sympathy, understanding and a big warm hug.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
As I get older and my Christmas list gets smaller
The things you really want for the holidays can't be bought.

miss you mom, dad, grandparents, and all those who have passed,

Cherish every moment,

My fervent hope is one day we are reunited.

Merry Christmas

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Aussie Christmas lunch is over

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Thanks! You've just solved a conundrum for me. The next Cat that adopts me will be named Spot.

I wish I could have a Dawg where I'm at, but alas, it's not meant to be. The time will come though. I've always liked having a Dawg Cat combo running around the place.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Folks, I'm heading to bed.

I want to thank each and everyone of you for being the best therapists, advisors, sounding boards, and friends that a person could have.

Merry Christmas.

Talk to you all in the morning.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

The dog & cat combo bloody rock! My border collie raised me cat. She hates cats!
She bloody loves me dog & they go through a ritual 2 to 3 times a day with all their
love for each other. Wish my blue tooth was working I would post a video. They talk, he
prances & she rubs all over his face. She thinks she a dog. She comes to the recall
whistle whether the dogs are out or not & she sits on command (yes have a video of that too)
& gets her little doggie biscuit. I have not clicker trained her this is all dog commands.

She is now 10 yrs old & he is 13 1/2 yrs old...in my signature. He was competing at
12 1/2 yrs old at a prestigious sheep dog competition in that shot & I retired him after
that trial. ME bloody cat used to come & sit for ~ 30 min watching me train Dirk...
Cat's don't normally do that, but she also found the sheep & goats amazing to watch.

She would sneak through the tall grass & be 1 ft or less from their noses while eating
& just watch in amazement. She's awesome & rocks me world. I saved her when she
was ~ 7 to 10 days old. Came into the ER clinic...she was tied up in a bag & tossed in
the trash & an elderly couple heard her crying in the trash bin & brought her in. Vet said
she would not make it....won't continue with details & sorry not trying to go off topic...
Christmas & got lost in thought.
Anyway the dog & cat & bird thing can ALL be good!
Merry Christmas!

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

My Maine Coon thought he was a Dawg. He sat, fetched, shook paws, etc. Even meowed when I told him to speak. But he never got the WOOF! part quite right and always looked at me as if I was stoned when I told him he was doing it all wrong.

I had to give him up to a friend of mine as I didn't know where life was taking me at that time, but I still get to see my buddy here and there. And he always remembers me.

He weighed 30 pounds and stood at least three feet tall. He could look over the counter while I made lunch. Best Cat ever.
edit on 24-12-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Hello - sorry I'm so late - it's xmas here already (well, 9 minutes in). I did visit my parents and had a little dinner there, with my son.

It's freezing cold here, 16 degrees F. I can't imagine what anyone who is homeless is doing to stay warm tonight.

I worked at the office for a bit, then came home and finished working remotely. So haven't had a moment to onto ATS til now.

Hoping those who are lonely are cheered by fellow ATS-ers. Hoping those who are sad and missing loved ones, those here and those who've passed, are at least able to feel the love from this family. Hoping those who are ill or struggling have a bit of reprieve and some smiles. And those who are truly lost know that there are others here who have gone to the brink and back again, and there's ALWAYS hope. And for those who are happy but still tooling around ATS, more smiles and joy to you.

Merry Xmas! Happy Xmas! (Am not a "Christian" but I love the xmas of my youth, the lights, sounds, smells, feel of the holiday.) Mostly, I like the kindness that seems to soften folks, makes them talk to strangers with kindness, makes them wish others the best. I wish we could be like that all the time (I try to be, but not everyone does).

Now where's the hot chocolate and cookies?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Galadriel
Now where's the hot chocolate and cookies?

The hell with that! Bring on the (enhanced) EggNog!

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

How funny! Mine is just a domestic black cat & yes she does the same as yours except
I haven't taught her to speak on command. When she does speak I know exactly what
she wants, whether to go out side, or if she wants food (she also has a hand signal for food)
or whatever it is, she's an awesome communicator. We have a game of "give me the paws".

I was starting to teach her to lie down last summer but then I got too busy so will
have to restart. Funny how so many people think cats are not trainable. I follow with
you do watch TV & Movies....ALL those animals are trained & any thing living can be
trained....of course they never thought about it, until you say FOOD!

I'm sorry you had to give up the Coon as they are awesome & yes quite large.
My last cat was also a black domestic & she was special & she saw all the paranormal

things I & she encountered...I miss her. I think I am now going to always want the
black rescue cats. All of my animals have been rescues except my 2 Border Collies
I compete with (well sorry 1 retired). I really miss me crow who passed away 1 /1/2
yrs ago...a rescue & program animal & my squirrel who was also a rescue & program
animal. Same with me snake...I took exotics out for educational programs.

But I am thankful for my 2 Border Collies, Cat ( Baggs who came in a bag) & me
Blue Front Amazon I adopted at the age of 10 yrs old & is now 15 yrs old as this
is my family I will be spending Christmas with. They ALL get special treats...
Parrot gets whatever I'm eating Lamb & veggies, Cat will get parts of a raw Turkey
Drum Stick, Dogs get their own raw Drum Sticks....& we ALL eat together.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I was surprised there was no egg nog...I might have to make
a quick run to the market in the morning....or wait til Thur
when ALL the meat will be on sale as well as the nog!

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

I had a Lab, German Shepard, Border Collie mix. He was a rescue Dawg and the smartest Dawg I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Sadly he passed a year ago at 15. Great Dawg though.

Mom was a Shepard/Lab mis and Dad was a AKC Border Collie who had jumped a fence. Chancy looked just like a Border Collie but with German Shepard markings. I always tear up when I think about him as he was such a great friend with a awesome sense of humor as well, the stories I could tell. I hope I meet him again on the other side.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Merry Merry Christmas all! Checking in as I said I would. I hope all is well in here? How is everyone?

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

You will definitely meet up with him again! When Dorothy died, my other black cat, I
I really paid attention for the next week or so as I knew she would come back to say
good-bye. I had to euthanize her due to cardiac fluid...She did come & visit me at
least 3 to 4 times within the week & a few times afterwards.

I mean her collar by the bed jingled...she walked on the bed & etc. it's amazing
the ties we have but they are so important to both them & us & yes I strongly
believe they are waiting for us.

I have her ashes, & feathers from Brom (crow) & fur & tail from Marvin (squirrel)
in the end I want us all cremated together & placed in a small capsule & shot into space
LOL! but seriously why not?

It's too cold 20 deg...w/o wind chill....I miss me Sunny CA sunshine!

The holidays are ALWAYS good here on ATS amongst friends!
Will be hitting the sack now but will be back all day tomorrow!
Merry Christmas to everyone!

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Athough i have a great family, wonderful parents and a sister with a niece, IM always alone and I hate that it feels worse this time of year. Im, still fairly new to the site (cant pm someonevwho sent me a message for somevreason), im already happy to be a member of this site. Nice to know there are others like me and happy families as well.

Merry Christmas everyone

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaScorp20

Welcome and Merry Christmas! I don't think you can PM until you hit 20 posts. I am not 100% sure, but I think that's why you can't send anything yet.

You'll be PM'ing in no time at all!!

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
Merry Merry Christmas all! Checking in as I said I would. I hope all is well in here? How is everyone?

I'll check back in after I get back from the tiole...

Phew...that was rough....wait a sec.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join