It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i have an idea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
is it possible to have like an anti flag as opposed to just not flagging a thread

i ask this because i have just read a thread about top 10 ufo sightings busted

and well im sure eyewitness accounts are far better than someone saying im sure its a rocket reentry

and then everyone say oh yes that it

maybe should have put this in the rant forum

but my question still stands a flag is like a thumbs up so lets have a flag thats thumbs down PLEASE

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that's been suggested before...

I'd like to be able to de-flag the occasional thread as well...ie. (+1, 0, -1)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

IMO and from my violations:
ATS is against hate. Don't like it, debunk it...or ignore it. You are free to start a debunking thread on the subject, just don't hate or limit.
edit on 21-12-2013 by ChuckNasty because: added clarification

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

coldkidc
I'm pretty sure that's been suggested before...

Once or twice
abovetopsecret.com.samuru.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   

maryhinge
is it possible to have like an anti flag as opposed to just not flagging a thread

i ask this because i have just read a thread about top 10 ufo sightings busted

and well im sure eyewitness accounts are far better than someone saying im sure its a rocket reentry

and then everyone say oh yes that it

maybe should have put this in the rant forum

but my question still stands a flag is like a thumbs up so lets have a flag thats thumbs down PLEASE

Good idea, but may I also remind, not knowing the cases you're referring to, that someone who's passing off a focrefull opinion/idea as a fact, doesn't mean the "UFO case was busted".

However, I'd say your idea is a good one

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Maybe instead of, or in addition to, Flag and Star...
... have:
"Flag" to draw attention to a topic.
"Believe" to show support.
"Disbelieve" to show disbelief.

????

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Yeah its been suggested before

I think the closest we have to it is the ability to un-flag a topic, although why anyone would want to do that I dont now I have never used it.

I flag quite a lot, usually for topics i have having a debate over even if i disagree, i think the problem with the flag system is people don't use it correctly. Its turned into a popularity contest, flags should i my mind be used to flag up important or interesting topics of debate regardless of weather one agrees or disagrees with the OP.

I wish they would do away with stars and flags and replace them with something that is more representative of the effort a OP has made or the originality in a idea. How they would do that i have no idea but the current system is a little flawed at times.

Then again i am sure if i got 50+ flags for every thread i wrote i would not be saying that......

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin
......... I think the problem with the flag system is people don't use it correctly. ......

Now what is the correct way to flag a thread or star a post?
I'm not aware there are guidelines to do accordingly

I am however aware some people assume there is a correct way of using it as you sometimes read posts "who did flag a thread like this?" or "who would star a post like that?"

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
It would not work on ATS, because ATS is such a diverse community that EVERY viewpoint is a minority viewpoint.
So if there were symbols for expressing disapproval or disagreement, everything would get swamped by them,.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

There are well thought out threads here that have plenty of replies but very few flags. It’s quite simple, if you don’t like or agree with thread in question, you just don’t flag it or if you originally did but changed your mind you have the ability to unflag it.

That is a feature that I wish the stars had as I have accidently starred posts which I did not mean to.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Some years ago ATS had a similar system, something like "negative stars", and the result was that some opening posts got many negative stars even before there was any other post on the thread, it looks like some members were using that system to show that they didn't like the poster instead of the post, so all the threads/posts some members made were always flooded with negative stars.

Negatively classifying something can be used as a weapon against other members, positively classifying something cannot, that's why I think we will never see something like that again on ATS.

PS: the above is posted as an ATS member for more than 9 years, not as a moderator.

new topics

top topics

join